Frame rate drop after update to 1.1.8

PhB

I have updated my version from 1.1.4c to 1.1.8.

Before the update the fps was 25-30 fps. After the update the fps has dropped to an unusable 6-12 fps.

I updated my display driver AMD Radeon R9 M395X but that had no effect. Using another airplane returns the fps back to 30.

What has changed to effect the fps like this and can I change it?

I tried to return to 1.1.4c but that did not work.

Please advice because the product has become unusable.

@PhB If you can please attach your XPlane Log file, and your TBM900_Log files to your request for help.

This will help the community on this site to pinpoint possible problems.

If you have any custom airports this could possibly be a problem and is easy to verify by temporarily moving them from you X-Plane Custom Scenery folder to a folder such as I use named 000_Disabled. I found after getting a similar frame rate drop 4-8 with my TBM that it was related to the amount of trees and flora being drawn in one location of my scenery. After editing the file and removing about half of the objects in that area my frame rates were back to the mid 30's. Just my thoughts.

btw- If you attach your log files do it using the; Drag files here to attach, or choose files... link at the bottom of your posting screen rather than copy and paste the open files. :)

Blue Skies to you!

Dwight

2 hours ago, PhB said:

What has changed to effect the fps like this and can I change it?

I tried to return to 1.1.4c but that did not work.

There has been a lot of changes made to the TBM between 1.1.4 to 1.1.8... 

1.1.5 - Couldn't find the post  1.1.6 - not much in the update other than making synthetic vision a little less frame rate hungry.  1.1.7 - Seems to be more of a VR update and a under the hood for systems. 1.1.8 - Was a very small bug fix update so...

But like @DwightP980 said with out a little more info there's really no way to tell you. Things like full system specs, scenery an kind of scenery, plugins, anything new you've added and so on. Everything you add to XP has the potential to eat away at frames. 

Have you tried removing all of your plugins and custom scenery and see if you get some frame rates back? Try deleting your shades and preference files and let XP rebuild them... Might help.

Not knowing your system specs but your AMD Radeon R9 M395X's low clock speed and VRAM cloud be playing a part in it to. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:57 PM, DwightP980 said:

@PhB If you can please attach your XPlane Log file, and your TBM900_Log files to your request for help.

This will help the community on this site to pinpoint possible problems.

If you have any custom airports this could possibly be a problem and is easy to verify by temporarily moving them from you X-Plane Custom Scenery folder to a folder such as I use named 000_Disabled. I found after getting a similar frame rate drop 4-8 with my TBM that it was related to the amount of trees and flora being drawn in one location of my scenery. After editing the file and removing about half of the objects in that area my frame rates were back to the mid 30's. Just my thoughts.

btw- If you attach your log files do it using the; Drag files here to attach, or choose files... link at the bottom of your posting screen rather than copy and paste the open files. :)

Blue Skies to you!

Dwight

the log files

Log.txt

TBM900_Log.txt

@PhB I just looked at your log.txt and TBM900_Log.txt files and would try the following, and see if it doesn't help with the frame rate hit, along with the: Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000 lines.

Remove all plugins except Gizmo. I would remove them from the Plugins folder, so as they do not load on startup of X-Plane. Check and see if you have an improvement in frame rates and add one at a time back in to see were the hit occurs. For some reason I seem to remember reading of someone having frame rate issues when running X-Life in another posting.

Turning off AI aircraft in X-Plane for me seemed to get rid of the exception handler issue.

Hoping this helps!

Regards,

Dwight

Edited by DwightP980
Removed suggustion to update drivers.

@PhB I just checked out the specs for the video card you're running, AMD Radeon R0 M395X vs the card I'm using, Nvidia GeForce 1070 and see according to the following sites: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M395X-Mac-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070 and https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3505&gid2=3217&compare=Nvidia that your card runs at a lower rate of frames per second rate than what I'm using. I will attach my Log and TBM900_Log files so as you can compare setting I'm using to yours for comparison.

I have as I've mentioned above loaded scenery which dropped my frame rates right in the proverbial toilet :o and found that some plug-ins just don't seem to play well with the TBM, or will tax my video card to a point that I'm not happy with.

Myself, I would remove the X-Life by JARDesign plug-in from the X-Plane 11/Resources/Plugins folder to start with.

Regards,

Dwight

Log.txt

TBM900_Log.txt

@PhB Hello, I just had another thought about your frame rate drop. Check in your Graphics settings in X-Plane and see if you have Use Vsync checked, or not at the bottom left corner of the screen.

On my system putting a check mark (turning on) in the Use Vsync causes roughly 15 frames per second drop in performance in the TBM. I've read this not so much and issue with other aircraft in X-Plane and actually I prefer Vsync off.

Hoping this helps if your still having an issue with the frame rate drop.

Regards,

Dwight

• 2 weeks later...