SkyFly

gimmicks, trim system and flight director.

Hello dear IXEG team!

I have another set of feature suggestions/ complains... whatever. :P

• Sunshades. Maybe a click on the Rail makes them appear and then you can drag them around.  Adds nothing but it is a fancy gimmick.  :ph34r:

• The Elevator trim cutout system (sorry I don´t know how it is really called). As far as I know, you should not be able to trim up, when the yoke is pushed down to a certain degree and further, vice versa. The trim should then simply cut out. This is not the case with the IXEG. I could apply full nose up elevator and trim all the way down whilst holding the yoke back, again, vice versa. The override switch for this system beside the Rudder trim is there and switchable but the system it should override, doesn´t work/exist. :wacko: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslSnqihflU )
    I tried it after watching this interesting video I found. From my understanding, the NG and CL both have this system.

• The Flight Director... okay I´m going nitpicky again. :mellow::mellow::mellow:
    I have for a long time had struggles to get the IXEG down to CAT I minimums just by following the FD -wich should be absolutely possible-. I then hopped in the NG for a while and *boom* first try, nailed it. Maybe just luck? I tried again. Again, I nailed it. A320? Nailed it. 757? Nailed it. So I started to question why that is and dug deep. I felt really stupid. Joystick sensitivity was set up propperly.

What I have found is the following: Lets compare a real FD to the IXEG FD. :D

Real:
    3533379_orig.thumb.jpg.a802dcbad267e387942edb233fffaf34.jpg

IXEG:
    1837916599_X-Plane2019-03-2623-24-35.thumb.png.f2a81c8438f3018749d89267b5807759.png

As i have learned (1Step Prep confirmed this a while ago in a video), the FD should devide the white box into four small boxes, one in each corner. The real PFD shows exactly that.

If the small boxes are equal in size, the FD is spot on.

The IXEG FD on the other hand, covers up the box all the way to the frame. Also, if you look reeeeeeally close, you can see that the white box is layered over the magenta FD line and is not covered up by it, like in the IXEGs PFD.

All that, makes it hard to judge if the FD is really bang on.
    Not an issue if you look at the PFD with a magnifying glass or fly with AP, but if you are sitting in a normal seating position, the PFD in itsself is small enough already. This "querk" doesn´t help it at all. :(

Long story short: To me, it looks like the FD is just two or three pixels too wide and the layering is in the wrong order. Or the box is to small. Given the size of the PFD it probably would be better to make the box bigger. Making the FD narrower could lead to aliasing problems on smaller screens i think.

Regards
    Mr. Nitpick :ph34r:

Greetings from Germany!

Writing this post, i found this. (Cockpit door camera screen between FMCs. This would be reeeeeeeealy cool, though useless like the sunshades.) http://thenightflier.weebly.com/uploads/9/5/2/1/9521562/4622292_orig.jpg
Edited by SkyFly

Hi SkyFly,

good post!

Yes, the sunshades would be cool!

I am not sure that the width of the flight-director or the size of the white box is the problem...in your second picture its clear to see that the flight-director bars are centered on the "white box", even though it is eclipsed by them. Maybe the drawing order can be changed, but they would have to be "in front of everything BUT the white lines". Not sure how our OPEN GL instruments will fare with the transition to Vulcan anyway...I will try a FD approach later on myself, never had any problems with that, really.

The whole cockpit door security issue is something that we want to avoid portraying. It quickly goes into very sensitive areas (9-11, Germanwings crash,...) and we don´t really want to touch any of that with a long pole. :(

Cheers, Jan

4 hours ago, Litjan said:

Hi SkyFly,

good post!

Yes, the sunshades would be cool!

I am not sure that the width of the flight-director or the size of the white box is the problem...in your second picture its clear to see that the flight-director bars are centered on the "white box", even though it is eclipsed by them. Maybe the drawing order can be changed, but they would have to be "in front of everything BUT the white lines". Not sure how our OPEN GL instruments will fare with the transition to Vulcan anyway...I will try a FD approach later on myself, never had any problems with that, really.

The whole cockpit door security issue is something that we want to avoid portraying. It quickly goes into very sensitive areas (9-11, Germanwings crash,...) and we don´t really want to touch any of that with a long pole. :(

Cheers, Jan

Thx for reply! :D

Yea surely you can see it is centered. But the white parts that you can see get covered fully even a the slightest deviation and they are sooo small. They like to hide. :ph34r:

Screen resolution plays a big part in that too. I´m aware of that. (Zoom factor)

From this pespective -wich is my normal perspective I always use (it gives me a full view of the VSI and the windscreen is fully in the picture)-, I don´t see the white box at all :lol::wacko:
I don´t have a 4k screen so my guess is, there is simply not enough pixel density to display such small stuff. A correct drawing order of the bars and the "box", could partially solve that problem. I´d really apprechiate that. :wub:  It would take the IXEG again a step further.

1698775478_X-Plane2019-03-2623-26-32.thumb.png.08bebbec4a6ca6a184434858816b286b.png

What about the Trim system suff that I adressed? :D
Did you overlook it or is it not planed to be integrated? I´m just curious :ph34r:
(I´m sorry I really don´t know how to make these pictures smaller)

145511254_X-Plane2019-03-2623-28-31.jpg.53ced7b61edc59ad970ec04229ede2c4.jpg

Yeah, forgot about the trim system answer. The automatic disabling of the trim by control column force is not implemented, nor is the "override" position. We may add this at a later time, I don´t remember why it was a problem back then (we are using default X-Plane trim, so that may have been the reason why it was hard to implement).

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

then you can code like :

if joytsick_x > |0.95| then "no trim" end

If you look carefull is not a layer order problem for the FD : the FD in the real aircraft are 0.80% to 0.90% opaque. Not 100%. That's the deal.

I'd like to draw 'n add a custom 3D object with static texture for the TV monitor. That would be cosmetic, not functional, (so not simulating security-related functions) but fun to design.

• Like 1

A fine addition, thanks for your work on this!

Again, we (besides having so much else on our plate that we need to do first) don´t want to really model any of this aspect, because I as an airline employee am under special scrutiny for divulging any security aspects. But if someone else provides something like this, hey, what can I do about it? :P

Thanks, Jan

• Like 1