Just bought, newbie and questions & CTD

JackSwyr

Just bought the TBM 900

I have a few questions though.

I'm new to X-Plane, two weeks max.

1. I use all VirtualFly's gear, and was curious if it was possible to somehow make my TQ6 work with the throttle lever.  I can get it to work from flight idle to max but since my TQ6 doesn't move sideways do I have no choice but to use the mouse?

2. How do I get the FMS to display the Systems page?  Try as I might I can get to all the others but not System.

3. How do I change the G1000 to display North Up and Heading Up?

4. I had a CTD yesterday flying over EGLL with Orbx's TEGB when I was trying to set a new destination.  

5. I came from P3D so updating is different in XP plane for me, how do I update this plane?  How do I know which version I have?

Thanks, and overall I have to say I'm very impressed, ya'll did a fantastic job on this plane and am quite pleased with it!

Best regards,

Jack

1. I'll leave that for someone who has the hardware
  2. See image at the bottom of this post.
  3. I don't think you can .  We use the default Laminar G1000 with heavy customization.
  4. Likely a corrupt scenery tile.  But for future reference, if you have a crash, save the log.txt (found in the root X-Plane folder) and post it in the forums so we can have a look at it.
  5. You'll be notified here in the forums or if you have chosen to be notified by email, you will get an email.  To update, go back to your account at X-Aviation and download the installer in your "Purchased Items" section.  When updating, always make sure the sim is not running.  If you have a previous version, you will prompted to uninstall the previous version.  The installer will do this for you.

Thanks.

;)

Screenshot_19a.png

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Goran_M said:
  1. I'll leave that for someone who has the hardware
  2. See image at the bottom of this post.
  3. I don't think you can .  We use the default Laminar G1000 with heavy customization.
  4. Likely a corrupt scenery tile.  But for future reference, if you have a crash, save the log.txt (found in the root X-Plane folder) and post it in the forums so we can have a look at it.
  5. You'll be notified here in the forums or if you have chosen to be notified by email, you will get an email.  To update, go back to your account at X-Aviation and download the installer in your "Purchased Items" section.  When updating, always make sure the sim is not running.  If you have a previous version, you will prompted to uninstall the previous version.  The installer will do this for you.

Thanks.

;)

Screenshot_19a.png

Thank you Goran, I was thinking about a different systems page, the one where it shows the satellites, etc.  But I suppose if you’re using Laminar’s default maybe they didn’t program the entire thing.  No matter, this is still the best aircraft I’ve seen yet for X-Plane.  I spent years with P3D, still use it, but this plane is more detailed than 99% of what’s out there for P3D.

• Upvote 1

hi g1000 if your on the main map screen click menu button  north up will be highlighted if not press the fms button to highlight then click enter this will change to track up.as far as the throttle i have a saitek throttle quadrant ,when i have the throttle on the tmb to the right i have to use the mouse for low idle and high and to switch to the left to flight idle but when the throttle is to the left i think if you can toggle the reverse thruster to a button on your  hardware or key pad it then let your throttle on your hardware go from reverse into taxi and also flight mode  but when you throttle back it goes back to flight idle only to get back to taxi range you have to press the reverse thrust button again the push your throttle back up to taxi.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ebbsy1 said:

hi g1000 if your on the main map screen click menu button  north up will be highlighted if not press the fms button to highlight then click enter this will change to track up.as far as the throttle i have a saitek throttle quadrant ,when i have the throttle on the tmb to the right i have to use the mouse for low idle and high and to switch to the left to flight idle but when the throttle is to the left i think if you can toggle the reverse thruster to a button on your  hardware or key pad it then let your throttle on your hardware go from reverse into taxi and also flight mode  but when you throttle back it goes back to flight idle only to get back to taxi range you have to press the reverse thrust button again the push your throttle back up to taxi.

Thanks but on the G1000 the only option I have is track up I think, there’s no way to change it. Very familiar with G1000 in real life, this does not work like it should.

As for the throttle I was afraid of this.  Thanks, it’s the mouse I guess, no way around it.

Im pretty sure you can switch between north up and track up in the menu, but only on the map page, not when displaying the flight plan. Sorry I'm not able to verify atm as I'm not at home on my pc. 

To control the right side of the throttle (cutoff to flight idle), besides using your mouse you could also map the related commands to buttons. The manual describes how to do it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RobW05 said:

Im pretty sure you can switch between north up and track up in the menu, but only on the map page, not when displaying the flight plan. Sorry I'm not able to verify atm as I'm not at home on my pc. 

To control the right side of the throttle (cutoff to flight idle), besides using your mouse you could also map the related commands to buttons. The manual describes how to do it. 

Thanks!  I’m not at the PC now but I’ll be sure to have a look at the manual about this.  

25 minutes ago, JackSwyr said:

Thanks but on the G1000 the only option I have is track up I think, there’s no way to change it. Very familiar with G1000 in real life, this does not work like it should.

As for the throttle I was afraid of this.  Thanks, it’s the mouse I guess, no way around it.

hi unfortunately i am   not a pilot just fly the sim for fun so not sure how it works in real life.but when you 1st power up the displays on the tbm centre display hit menu button on the tmb keypad and i think north up is highlighted on the g1000 by default, just hit the enter button and it changes to track up i know its possible as i changed mine to track up yesterday

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ebbsy1 said:

hi unfortunately i am   not a pilot just fly the sim for fun so not sure how it works in real life.but when you 1st power up the displays on the tbm centre display hit menu button on the tmb keypad and i think north up is highlighted on the g1000 by default, just hit the enter button and it changes to track up i know its possible as i changed mine to track up yesterday

Ok, I have that working with HDG up etc, but why doesn’t my autopilot engage, I’m also very familiar with this A/P and it simple will not engage.  Is this a bug?

Just now, RobW05 said:

Many of us went through this. :D

Thanks it works, but this is odd.

When I press DIR TO, and the DIRECT TO box comes up, I type in EGLC as soon as I type the letter E, it comes up as 5B with the B highlighted. I have to rotate the FMS knob to get it on the 5 to then type in EGLC. Then when I type the letter E again it goes to 0, so again I have to rotate the FMS knob to the left to get it to stay on the first letter and only THEN can I type in the letters EGLC.  This ain’t right.

6 minutes ago, RobW05 said:

I rarely use the keyboard but I can try it when I'm back home on Friday. All I know is that typing works for flightplan creation, for a direct to I have never tried.

Thanks, please try exactly as I described.  It’s duplcatable every time, even if you have a flight plan in like I do right now.

For example, I have decided to type in EGPC, then EGLC into a flight plan, the keyboard works perfectly.  But then if I decided to go DIR TO it gives me that same 5B nonsense which is not correct.

Now, as I type this on my iPad X-Plane has frozen for the second time in two days with this plane!

I just installed NVIDIA 419.35 as per their recommendation.  ARGH!! :angry:

1 hour ago, JackSwyr said:

Thanks, please try exactly as I described.  It’s duplcatable every time, even if you have a flight plan in like I do right now.

For example, I have decided to type in EGPC, then EGLC into a flight plan, the keyboard works perfectly.  But then if I decided to go DIR TO it gives me that same 5B nonsense which is not correct.

Now, as I type this on my iPad X-Plane has frozen for the second time in two days with this plane!

I just installed NVIDIA 419.35 as per their recommendation.  ARGH!! :angry:

i think there is a bug with the keypad i fly a lot of the uk and when i press e on the keypad i get a 5 so i press backspace press e again i get a 0 nearly every time .alway third time lucky i get the e, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ebbsy1 said:

i think there is a bug with the keypad i fly a lot of the uk and when i press e on the keypad i get a 5 so i press backspace press e again i get a 0 nearly every time .alway third time lucky i get the e, 

Thanks, gosh, I hope they’re aware of this. Thanks for the workaround tip.