Announcing the TorqueSim Pocket Rocket Release!

Cameron

Straight from Garmin's own website:

"In basic terms, capability is the differentiator. The G5 for experimental and light sport aircraft is loaded with capabilities. It can be used as a standalone primary or backup flight display and can toggle between two screens – one displaying attitude, airspeed, altitude, barometric pressure, turn coordination (plus ground speed and ground track if GPS equipped), the second displaying a horizontal situation indicator."

"... the G5 for certified was designed for two specific purposes – either as an attitude indicator or turn and bank coordinator (one G5 cannot replace both the attitude indicator and the turn coordinator in a traditional six-pack). In order to satisfy the FAA certification requirements, new software needed to be created for the G5 that does not include the HSI/Attitude display toggle capability that the experimental version boasts. Instead, since this unit was intended to replace the vacuum driven attitude indicators and turn coordinators, the software needed to be designed for those specific purposes."

Just now, Cameron said:

That doesn't make it legal. Go read the STC if you don't believe me. This is one area I am very well educated in (avionics and STC's).

Is it a primary PFD replacement, or a DG/HSI replacement?

It's primary PFD. STC SA01818WI. Certified as primary AI and TC. Legally speaking I can't use HSI but I can select HSI screen. Again services by Garmin just a little less then a year ago!

4 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Straight from Garmin's own website:

"In basic terms, capability is the differentiator. The G5 for experimental and light sport aircraft is loaded with capabilities. It can be used as a standalone primary or backup flight display and can toggle between two screens – one displaying attitude, airspeed, altitude, barometric pressure, turn coordination (plus ground speed and ground track if GPS equipped), the second displaying a horizontal situation indicator."

"... the G5 for certified was designed for two specific purposes – either as an attitude indicator or turn and bank coordinator (one G5 cannot replace both the attitude indicator and the turn coordinator in a traditional six-pack). In order to satisfy the FAA certification requirements, new software needed to be created for the G5 that does not include the HSI/Attitude display toggle capability that the experimental version boasts. Instead, since this unit was intended to replace the vacuum driven attitude indicators and turn coordinators, the software needed to be designed for those specific purposes."

That is interesting. Gotta check software version on mine

• Like 1

The very first contact is just pure joy!
Even on my very capable machine (i9 9900K RTX 2080Ti 64GB RAM NVMe SSD) some aircraft can decrease the FPS - the Pocket Rocket is extra-smooth!

2f51123848d7a08bc6806c1ddddeb1d5.jpg
2e555aaa000cb5c8910c42c71700b805.jpg
3bb2f7258815eff73a3b2cc9da1d6c00.jpg
f6086f53f13e54a9a32b01fb79c2556a.jpg

I just barely had the time to take off and witness how powerful and nimble this beast is, but I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

The visuals are beautifully detailed and the PBR use is nicely balanced (which is not the norm with the recent releases - the mighty TBM from Hot Start being one of the rarest exceptions).
The customized avionics are also very well done and that synthetic vision is a great feature. The sound feedback on the buttons is also very welcome - especially when you don't use physical buttons.

I'm now craving to get more flight time with that beauty!

Congratulations to TorqueSim (and X-Aviation)!
That very first release will probably be my weapon of choice in addition to the superb TBM 900 - different use and complementary (for my own use of X-Plane).

Happy exhilarating flying ;)

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 2