Automatic engine fire - even after re-install and in auto tutorial mode

Muchimi

Since I installed 1.1.6 this weekend, I cannot start the plane without an instant engine fire.  I uninstalled, re-installed, re-entered the license, verified the license is valid, and even when doing the start tutorial (when it's first showing you how to start it and doing the start for you), the engine catches on fire almost instantly when the tutorial is doing it.  I'm not faring any better.

I've wiped out the TBM900 folder in the output folder, no change.

Changed airports: no change.

Not sure what's happening but the plane is totally unusable for me.

Engine cold and dark (not a hot start).  N1 is between 13 and 19% when entering the fuel.  Engine ITT is cold.  I also almost get an instant message the engine is flooding the moment I turn on the boost pump if that helps and that isn't very normal.  Override lever is full back.

I am running x-plane 11.32R2.  I'll check for another update but this wasn't happening until the 1.1.6 patch - was working well for me.  I can re-install the old version, will try that next.

Edited by Muchimi

If this helps:

- This happens with a brand new airframe, on a new install of the aircraft, with no maintenance record and not touching controls at all.  

- This happens on the first load (so no prior XP aircraft loaded and not switching from another flight or sesssion).

- This happens when the initial tutorial first runs (I'm not touching any controls or interacting with the aircraft, just watching the tutorial do its thing).  To be clear, this is the first tutorial that loads upon a fresh install and goes through the startup procedure by itself before it asks you do it.  The engine catches on fire when the tutorial runs immediately after it introduces fuel (moves the throttle to the first notch above cutoff).   This is exactly what happens to me when I try to start the aircraft on my own at the same spot (moving the throttle up one notch from cutoff).  ITT goes totally nuts - from 0 to 1700C in about 3 seconds.  N1 between 13.5% to 20%, indicators are fuel pump on, starter on, ignition on.  Looks all normal to me (and again, no damage at all in the maintenance screen and all covers removed).

- I am using hardware controls and they look properly calibrated and work fine with other aircraft.  How can I tell?  I feed my hardware through VJOY and there is as far as I can tell no movement of the throttles on start because VJOY monitor shows the correct inputs and there is no hardware noise either.   The mixture, prop and throttle controls are not moving at all.  

Recent changes:

- I installed the reality RXP GTN 750 over the weekend.
- I installed the TBM 1.1.6 over the weekend (this wasn't happening to me in the prior version last week - plane worked great with the same setup).

I'll disconnect my hardware just in case and see if it makes it through the tutorial and the automated start without the tutorial causing an engine fire.  I'll also try the old version again if I can extricate it from my download folder.

I just disconnected the whole hardware bits and it's still behaving wonky and I'm not touching anything.

I do have fwl so looking at any scripts there that could impact fuel.  I created a special profile for the TBM and disconnecting inputs there to narrow it down.

This is maddening as it was working so well last week.

Ok thanks for pointing me to the fuel mapping.  I was using my default profile for x-plane for the TBM that kept all the axes mapped including prop and mixture levers from my quadrant.

It works now -  I went through the tutorial in automatic and manual, twice, and no problems this time, and I'm relieved the tutorial is no longer demonstrating how to start a fire which it was.

What I ended up doing to fix this if this helps anyone else encountering this:

(1) I created a specific TBM900 profile in the joystick mapper, and one that forcibly disconnects axis inputs for mixture and propeller.  I only kept the yoke, pedals and throttle connected.

(2) instead of mapping mixture to an axis, I mapped a couple of buttons on my throttle to x-plane commands for "increase mixture a little bit" and "decrease mixture a little bit" to "walk" the TBM's throttle lever to the condition (right side) latches.

I'm still not comprehending why my prior setup was working last week - perhaps coincidence.  

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Muchimi

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, Muchimi said:

Ok thanks for pointing me to the fuel mapping.  I was using my default profile for x-plane for the TBM that kept all the axes mapped including prop and mixture levers from my quadrant.

It works now -  I went through the tutorial in automatic and manual, twice, and no problems this time, and I'm relieved the tutorial is no longer demonstrating how to start a fire which it was.

What I ended up doing to fix this if this helps anyone else encountering this:

(1) I created a specific TBM900 profile in the joystick mapper, and one that forcibly disconnects axis inputs for mixture and propeller.  I only kept the yoke, pedals and throttle connected.

(2) instead of mapping mixture to an axis, I mapped a couple of buttons on my throttle to x-plane commands for "increase mixture a little bit" and "decrease mixture a little bit" to "walk" the TBM's throttle lever to the condition (right side) latches.

I'm still not comprehending why my prior setup was working last week - perhaps coincidence.  

Thanks for the help!

Is it still working after the last update. I’m having exactly this issue at the moment and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. 

Did a complete uninstall and reinstall. I’ve deleted ALL other controls and even unplugged all my saitek instruments, I’ve deleted fly with LUA and all their scripts, I deleted all control profiles and redid them with purely throttle and mapped a button for the misxture decrease and increase a little bit, and it’s still time to toast the marshmallows as soon as I click start.  I’ve deleted airframes, I’ve tried new fresh airframes, I’ve checked every option in the maintinance log.  

My procedure is as follows.

Bat on

boot up screens,

Ignition on auto,

fuel tank selected either left or right it makes no difference,

aux BP to on

starter 2 secs to start

roast marshmallows as yet another engine goes up in flames. 

I’ve tried it while using saitek panels via Fly with LUA Xsaitek, I’ve tried it with them completely disconnected from the machine and script deleted, I’ve tried it with Fly with LUA completely deleted, only the Thrustmaster warthog right lever is mapped to throttle, the red rocker switch on bottom is set to mixture increase and decrease a little bit. That is it for engine controls.  My stick has roll and pitch axies and nothing else, my pedals are set to yaw nothing else. 

Ive been seRching and posting on multiple forums on the hope someone, can let me know where I’m going wrong. As I am completely and utterly confused at what is going wrong.

Been sat at the pc since 09.30 hoping for a nice fly, and I’ve not even gotten off the damn stand yet.

Appreciate the module is called Hotstart but damn wasn’t expecting it so literally. ;)

Edited by Cowboy10uk

2 hours ago, Cowboy10uk said:

My procedure is as follows.

Bat on

boot up screens,

Ignition on auto,

fuel tank selected either left or right it makes no difference,

aux BP to on

starter 2 secs to start

roast marshmallows as yet another engine goes up in flames. 

Cowboy10uk, that means your engine is on fire right after engaging the starter, even before you introduce fuel?

In this case it could be residual fuel in the combustion chamber. Try to do a dry motoring procedure before your next start. (and do it with GPU power to prevent battery discharge) 

Good luck :)

30 minutes ago, RobW05 said:

Cowboy10uk, that means your engine is on fire right after engaging the starter, even before you introduce fuel?

In this case it could be residual fuel in the combustion chamber. Try to do a dry motoring procedure before your next start. (and do it with GPU power to prevent battery discharge) 

Good luck :)

Yep, tried resetting combustion chamber and resetting with fresh aircraft.  Tried with both Bat and GPU, will try a dry motor first next time.  Currently walked away and having several beers now, before I break anything else.

thanks for the advice, will let you know how it goes.

You sir, are an absolute godsend. Took a few goes and a couple of melted engines. BUT I finally managed to get a clean start.  Thankyou. Now I’ve done a full shutdown I’m hoping she will play nicely tomorrow, and I can finally do my flight upto Scotland.

Would have thought replacing the engines and deleting and starting a new airframe would have reset the fuel but I guess not.