TBM900[except.c:282]: Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000 - CTD

robe810106

Dear ones,

I am experiencing constant CTD since I purchased the TBM. I fact, I have not been able to complete a flight. During the cruise, the sound rattles for a second and then X-Plane crashes and goes to the desktop.

I do not have any add-on scenery,  no plug-ins except Gizmo. I have verified the  integrity of the local files using steam and no luck, the thing keeps crashing. Re-installed several times.

In the log (attached) appears to be: "TBM900[except.c:282]: Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000"

System info is:

i7 7700K, 16GB RAM, GTX1070 and X-Plane is running on a SSD.  Temperatures are normal (water cooled).

Any further info, please do not hesitate to contact.

Best regards.

Roberto.

Log.txt

I don't have the steam version, so not sure if you can do this, but is it possible for you to copy the X-Plane folder out of your steam folder and maybe on the desktop, then trying again.

X-Plane does have some minor problems running from within the Program Files folder, particularly with the TBM.

Hi Goran,

I moved X-Plane 11 folder to a different drive, where games are out of "program files". Steam does not allow two libraries on the same drive (as far as I know). TBM crashed on the parking, so no changes.

But, I tried something that allowed me to complete a flight, at least for this time. Same route as before and no CTD. Considering that this type of CTD is scenario related i checked  the "global scenary" folder properties and it was as a "read only". I unticked the check box and tried again the flight with no crashes this time. Probably is too early to reach a conclusion. I will keep testing and if it does not crash again for the same reason I will return the folder to the SSD and I may reactivate some plug-ins.

I will report soon.

Regards.

Roberto.

Hi again Goran,

A little update about my case. I have completed 3 or 4 flights more with no issues. Except in the second attempt where I had a CTD on the ramp. I went back to the "Global Scenery" folder and untick the read-only box. I Restarted X-plane and no further issues so far. What I am doing is perform this step before every flight.

Trying to dig a bit more, the read-only box in the folder properties is not actually ticked. It has a black square. As far as I know, this means unknown status. I have checked from the command console with "dir /ar" on the XP11 root folder and I haven't found any file marked as a read-only. 

It is really weird but this method works for me. I hope this helps finding the reason of this annoying error.

Best regards.

Roberto.

I got this exact same error on a flight this evening:

TBM900[except.c:282]: Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000

The TBM was behaving fine for a full hour of flight time; then without warning, X-Plane crashed to desktop.  The square in the Read-only box has nothing to do with anything... it is only there as a reminder that folders cannot be set to Read-Only in Windows (only the files within can).  Notice that to the right of Read-only it also says "(Only applies to files in folder)".

Getting back to the TBM CTD, these crashes are really starting to get frustrating.  I know the aircraft is wonderfully complex; but it seems every new patch introduces a new way to kill the simulator (how thoroughly are these patches being tested before they're unleashed to the public?)

We put the call out to random volunteers, as well as our regular streamers who test builds, willing to test the TBM every time an update gets built.  The last callout went out today.

image.png

They are definitely thoroughly tested.  Going by the number of support posts here, compared to the number of sales, these errors are isolated to a small group of people.  Personally, I have yet to experience an exception handler error, but I also don't have many plugins or ortho installed, so the error could be anything from a PC build to corrupted scenery being installed, to a rogue plugin (free or payware).  

If it's really getting frustrating for you, you could install a completely clean, scenery free, plugin free installation of X-Plane on another drive.  Then if you have a crash with ANY add on in the original install, simply install that add on into the clean X-Plane, and see if the crash happens there.  If it does not, then the problem lies with your original X-Plane installation.  If it DOES crash in the clean version, then it's the aircraft OR X-Plane itself, in which case we do a follow up and either fix the add on or provide Laminar with a report.  

With aircraft getting more and more complex, it might be an idea to have those 2 X-Plane installs as a just in case.  I have 3 of them.

Edited by Goran_M

Hi Goran,

To help bump this up : yet another "Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000".

In 1.1.6 I experienced one before on the tarmac, this time during landing. And I previously had several others with 1.1.4x.

I have the feeling they don't help, but I attached one more log.txt. I really hope you can find why this problem occurs.

I don't think I repeat some action in particular when the CTDs occur, it seems quite random.

As I already said before, I only have XPUIPC/XPWideFS and the TB900 plugins. Only standard laminar scenery.

Log.txt

Unfortunately I'm having the same issues. Sometimes I can fly for an hour or more, othertimes I get a crash within 15 minutes.

Latest log attached. The METAR and TAF imports also seem to be failing (I have xEnviro installed if that matters).

I tried to diable Terrain Radar and Saitek Panel (to avoid the screen issue) and teh sim crashed a few minutes later.

Log.txt

52 minutes ago, detheridge02 said:

Unfortunately I'm having the same issues. Sometimes I can fly for an hour or more, othertimes I get a crash within 15 minutes.

Latest log attached. The METAR and TAF imports also seem to be failing (I have xEnviro installed if that matters).

I tried to diable Terrain Radar and Saitek Panel (to avoid the screen issue) and teh sim crashed a few minutes later.

Log.txt

Would I be asking too much if I asked you to remove xEnviro and try again?

I showed Saso this post, and he's going to investigate whether anything in any weather add on could be causing this.  
Same thing with the Saab.  It'll crash when run with xEnviro, and Andrey, from xEnviro found out it was, indeed his software causing it when run with the Saab.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress in identifying what is causing this particular crash (TBM900[except.c:282]: Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000)?  I had it happen again tonight shortly after takeoff using version 1.1.7 and don't see any fix mentioned in the notes for 1.1.8.

Hello all,

today I've installed v1.1.8 and with first flight Exception handler event occured. I must say that this event/error I have also with no plugin and also without weather, from version 1.1.4, with XP from 11.26r2 to last TBM update (1.1.7 is no long time tested by me still but without CTD to this time). Interesting is that with this 1.1.7 I had no CTDs to this time on about 10 flights, so now I'll roll back and continue test that previous version but I think that this is question of time. This event is really random but interesting is that occur on some 'same' places +/-. Just another important info, sometimes doesn't come CTD on that places/locations, just like other users already mentioned in other topics. I can confirm that v1.1.8 solve problem with flashing opened windows or left panel. I'll come back with some news about tests.

Win10 Home with last updates, XP11.32r2, i7-8700, GTX 1070Ti, 16GB RAM, 250 GB SSD Samsung EVO

Edited by Ico

(Finally) I also had the same error just now with 1.1.8 and Win10. This was only my second ever crash flying the TBM since October. This one happened on the approach to KPGA after almost 3 hours of flight from KBFI.

It could well be related to either SkyMaxPro or FSGRW, as the latest METAR.rwx was from less than a minute before the crash.

Log files attached. Hope it helps

PS: I am still impressed with this awesome beauty and your level of support and dedication.

Log.txt

TBM900_Log.txt

• 4 weeks later...

The TBM's exception handler continues to reset on 1.1.9 (at least it crashed on the taxi out instead of toward the end of the flight this time).  It's now been several months and the incompatibility still has not been identified?  My gut feeling is that the TBM is either not getting along with external weather apps (ActiveSky, FSGRW, etc.) or World Traffic... but that is really just a guess.  On the plus side, really loving the improved ground handling in the latest update.

I don't plan on disabling any plugins (since they play nice with every other aircraft except the TBM); but I'm attaching my log for reference.

Log.txt

I’ve seen a link with any kind of AI and the exception handler issue.  It’s hard to pinpoint when the log says “something has reinstalled our exception handler” without telling us what it is  

Again , I respectfully ask not to compare the TBM to other add ons. Each add on has its own code. None of which are the same. 

the TBM will generate errors if another plugin, or the sim itself, has some kind of conflict with it. And it could be the fault of either one. The Saab used to crash when run with xenviro. Everyone thought it was the Saab, because it only happened with the Saab. Even though we went through the code to make sure it wasn’t the Saab. Finally, the xenviro guys found out it was definitely something in xenviro conflicting with the Saab, and it was on their end. This is addressed in their next update. 

As far as the TBM, the exception handler has been looked at and fixes have been done. They are far less now than they used to be. But it’s obvious that in some cases, it still pops up. Saso will continue to try to nail it down, if it IS with the TBM.