Deicing on the ground

OuterMarker

Hi guys,

after a 2 hour flight I let the plane sit on the apron for around 20 Minutes and, of course, it picked up snow/ice. I was planning to do the return trip but unfortunately I can't find an option to deice the plane on the ground. So what am I supposed to do now? I guess changing the temperature in the weather menu until the ice is melted and then changing it back would work but that's not really an elegant way.

I'm surprised that in an simulation as thorough as this, this scenario apparently hasn't been thought of (or I'm too stupid to figure it out).

Thanks,
Jan

TBM900_1.png

On 3/11/2019 at 5:49 AM, Goran_M said:

It never really crossed our minds that anyone would leave the sim running for a while as ice accumulates.  We might add a de-ice option in a future update.

Well I flew around Norway some week ago and were sitting around 20 minutes on the ramp doing flight preps. That was sufficient at that time to see a icing on the wings. I had freezing rain at that time temporarily.

There is a good script available at the org to conquer this meanwhile

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/49312-universal-de-ice-tool/

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, i just ran into this myself. I have been practicing startup procedures on the ground and if you do them in colder weather (it started for me around OAT +2C with snow/rain/wind) then its not possible that take-off as you cant get the Airframe De-Ice to work right and the control surfaces seem to be limited. Starting is not the issue, that work all the time without problems.

The (real world aircraft) have this limit: temperature limits Minimum temperature at start and takeoff : - 40°C (- 40°F). 

This looks like a lot of engerneeing (code) work to replicate (especially if you end up replicating all the different cold envilope characteristic). To me this is a bit of a fringe case as most people fly in warm weather (although XP12 should have better winter enviroment and it might be worth it). 

The solve for this is warmer weather OAT 2C to 5C works for me on the ground.