Saab 340 Previews of the Day - April 3, 2011

Cameron

It sounds pretty close!!!! ;D ;D ;D Thanks for re-doing the manuals to make them better. This will probably be the first plane in X-Plane that I learn completely from start-up, to take off, to cruise, and to approach and shutdown. Good luck on the manuals and good luck, Theo, on the coding.... :P

Cameron is doing the coding.  And he's doing an amazing job actually.

Theo was put back on textures and refining parts of the panel regions and night lighting.

sounds good! will your checklist be typed into the checklister plugin?

We're not sure at this point.  I've been banned from x-plane.org and consequently, am unable to download anything from there or even contact anyone.  Word from Cameron is "we'll see". 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As long as there well organized, possibly in a similar manner to XPFR's B-17 quick start check list, or even  a full length check list a .pdf version would work just fine.

The first manual I did, everything was all in the one manual with checklists being separate.

The way I'm doing it now is much more organized.

Feedback so far has been very favorable.

And yes, all the documentation will be in pdf format.

is this bird frame rate friendly?

Thanks,

Maxime

I spent 3 days last week doing some serious mesh optimization.  On my machine, without Gizmo debugging code built in, I was getting 23-26 fps.  After optimization, I am getting an average of 38fps on the ground and 42 fps in the air with all settings maxed out except AA and AF.  Those are set at 2x.

The system I am doing these tests on is

Windows 32bit

Dual core E6750 CPU

4GB of RAM

1GB 9800GT Graphics card

The "Gizmo debug code" Goran refers to is a function that forces X-Plane to yield control of the CPU and go to sleep for N milliseconds.

This keeps the CPU cooler, the fans quieter, and the rest of the OS and applications FAR more responsive, this allows better multi tasking and faster revision cycles as the artists can continue to use Photoshop/Blender/etc at full speed and crisp response latency.

The code is exactly one line, and without removing it Goran cant give you a true FPS reading.

As an example, I'm currently using this same function (gizmo.sleep(N)) with the Cirrus Jet to force my X-Plane FPS down to 22-25.

If I take it out, my FPS triples to 75-80.

Hi Ben,

can you explain why you would drop the frame rate intentionally? I thought everyone was trying to get as much FPS as possible?

If the system runs better and more flawlessly at lower frame rates then I can understand as it might take some pressure of the video card?

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

He's lowering it intentionally so the developers don't have to close X-Plane to use other applications and can therefore make changes in blender, Photoshop, or Planeaker and then test them immediately in the sim. I don't know about Goran, Theo and the rest of the team but for me if I try to open Planemaker and X-Plane at the same time my computer looks at me, laughs sarcastically, and freezes epically so I have to shut it down :P

It won't be shipped with the project, it's purely for the developers to test things quicker.

Hi WombatBoy,

ahhh, that  makes sence now.....I dont need the plugin, I have enough trouble getting decent frame rates as it is now let alone actually wanting to lower them! :P I am just happy to know that they are doing thier best to give us  (for a small charge anyway...), a "flagship" aircraft that will be seen and commented on by all flight simmers, not just those who fly X-Plane. They have raised and set the bar for payware developers.....hard part is keeping it there!

Cheers for the quick reply.

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

I am just happy to know that they are doing thier best to give us  (for a small charge anyway...), a "flagship" aircraft that will be seen and commented on by all flight simmers, not just those who fly X-Plane. They have raised and set the bar for payware developers.....hard part is keeping it there!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

This is the exact reason why we have kept delaying it after saying "it'll be ready by the end of the month".  We honestly don't want to delay it, but whenever we see something new, we ask whether we can code it.  If we can, then we do it.  Even the little details that are almost insignificant but add that touch of realism that is noticeable.  Case in point, Duchess Transponder light.

Believe me when I tell you, we hate delaying this aircraft.  But we want to do it right.  From the flight model, 3D modelling, texturing, programming and even the documentation (247 pages and counting). 

I won't list what has been coded yet (believe me, it's a lot) but I will when we finish it.

Have we raised the bar?  I can safely say, yes.

All I'll say is it's not long to go.

I am just happy to know that they are doing thier best to give us  (for a small charge anyway...), a "flagship" aircraft that will be seen and commented on by all flight simmers, not just those who fly X-Plane. They have raised and set the bar for payware developers.....hard part is keeping it there!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

This is the exact reason why we have kept delaying it after saying "it'll be ready by the end of the month".  We honestly don't want to delay it, but whenever we see something new, we ask whether we can code it.  If we can, then we do it.  Even the little details that are almost insignificant but add that touch of realism that is noticeable.  Case in point, Duchess Transponder light.

Believe me when I tell you, we hate delaying this aircraft.  But we want to do it right.  From the flight model, 3D modelling, texturing, programming and even the documentation (247 pages and counting). 

I won't list what has been coded yet (believe me, it's a lot) but I will when we finish it.

Have we raised the bar?  I can safely say, yes.

With a rather simple aircraft like the Saab taking this long to catch every detail, I can't imagine what the 747 will be like for you guys. ;D

I am just happy to know that they are doing thier best to give us  (for a small charge anyway...), a "flagship" aircraft that will be seen and commented on by all flight simmers, not just those who fly X-Plane. They have raised and set the bar for payware developers.....hard part is keeping it there!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

This is the exact reason why we have kept delaying it after saying "it'll be ready by the end of the month".  We honestly don't want to delay it, but whenever we see something new, we ask whether we can code it.  If we can, then we do it.  Even the little details that are almost insignificant but add that touch of realism that is noticeable.  Case in point, Duchess Transponder light.

Believe me when I tell you, we hate delaying this aircraft.  But we want to do it right.  From the flight model, 3D modelling, texturing, programming and even the documentation (247 pages and counting).  

Have we raised the bar?  I can safely say, yes.

With a rather simple aircraft like the Saab taking this long to catch every detail, I can't imagine what the 747 will be like for you guys. ;D Good luck!!!

With a rather simple aircraft like the Saab taking this long to catch every detail, I can't imagine what the 747 will be like for you guys. ;D

This project has been pushing us all to expand.

Mesh, Textures, Systems Scripting and Gizmo have all been expanding and evolving in parallel.

It's all coming together now as a very tidy package, it's pushed us all to work and think harder, we've covered a lot of ground and learnt lessons that apply directly to future projects especially regarding Systems Scripting.

I find myself having finally matured Gizmo to the point where it's compelling to use, I don't get to use it much! :P

A lot of the AOM-compliance stuff that Cameron has brought to fruition hasn't been done to this level in Gizmo alone by anyone else yet as far as I know.

I still look at a 747 project with respect, but every day breaks it down into smaller more manageable pieces.

What would be the frame rates for this bird?

I am running on an imac with a 3.06ghz dual core, with 8gb ram, and a 256mb video card.

Best,

Maxime

You shouldn't have any problems.  You're processor is faster than mine and you have more RAM and I'm currently getting 35 to 40 fps everything maxed out.

What would be the frame rates for this bird?

I am running on an imac with a 3.06ghz dual core, with 8gb ram, and a 256mb video card.

Best,

Maxime

You shouldn't have any problems.  You're processor is faster than mine and you have more RAM and I'm currently getting 35 to 40 fps everything maxed out.

Awesome. I cant' wait!!!