Hard to switch from Heading mode to NAV-mode

pkorkala

Hello pilots!

I'm new to this plane, and I'm totally in love with it! But I have a small problem... I'm practicing my landing skills with this plane, so I take off, use heading mode to turn 180 degrees, and later on turning 180 degrees again to catch the G/S and land. But I'm having problems switching the autopilot from Heading mode to NAV-mode, the HDG-button still lights when I press NAV, and the autopilot stays in HDG-mode... It doesn't matter if I use the left or right source. It seems that I have to press NAV a couple of times, and switch between L and R and just click around. Eventually the autopilot changes to NAV-mode. 

The screen also tells me that I'm in HDG-mode (with green letters), LOC 1 is below it in white letters. 

Am I doing something wrong?!?

Thanks!

/Peter

LES_Saab_340A_9.png

CDI button on the Garmin 530? I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is ;) For me it works like in other planes.

EDIT: Oh I guess now I understand. You just want to use the localizer for lateral navigation and don't want to use the approach functionality? No idea, haven't tried it :)

Edited by tADEUS73

20 minutes ago, tADEUS73 said:

CDI button on the Garmin 530? I'm not sure if I understand what the problem is ;) For me it works like in other planes.

EDIT: Oh I guess now I understand. You just want to use the localizer for lateral navigation and don't want to use the approach functionality? No idea, haven't tried it :)

Yes exactly, as LNAV. I didn't use the Garmin at all during theese flights. 

I want to navigate towards the localizer with NAV-mode (either the ILS-localizer or the airport localizer), and then later on press APPR when the G/S is captured.

Edited by pkorkala

Hi peter 

In the Saab, the green AP mode means it’s active and the white mode means it’s armed. In this case you have HDG mode active and it’s waiting to intercept the localiser to arm APP mode. 

The saab isn’t good at this so it needs to be within full scale course bar deflection to arm APP mode. This can be done either off HDG mode or LRN1/2 modes. 

LRN1 (or LRN2 modes are long range navigation and either FMS or GPS depending on mods and installations)

In this case the HDG mode will stay active in the MCP until the AP can Switch to APP mode. Try setting up a 30 degree intercept of the localiser and arming APP mode. It should switch over when within about full scale deflection. 

Remember it’s 1980’s technology (especially the A model this is modelled off) and isn’t as advanced as a lot of the newer jets and turboprops. 

• Like 1