Keyboard and Accessing Flight Plan Catalog not working

Thx1137

The keyboard in the centre console doesn't do anything when trying to create a flight plan so I have to use the jog wheel. I have to create one manually because I cannot bring up the Flight Plan Catalog (FPC) on either G1000. Note that I am able to bring it up fine on the default Cessna 175 with G1000.

What is interesting is that in the default Cessna I can only display the FPC in the right G1000 unit. I can't bring it up on the unit in front of the pilot. When I try it with the TBM 900 I try using the pilots G1000 and it doesn't come up (same as the 172) but using the Centre console doesn't bring it up either. Also, when I use the centre console the flight plan windows change on all three PFDs. I would expect that the centre console would only update the centre PFD.

I have tested this with no plugins other than Gizmo installed. Log is attached.

Log.txt

Edited by Thx1137

• 3 weeks later...

I find loading a flight plan exceedingly difficult.

The FPL menu usually goes poof by the time I get to click the knob to switch to "load" flight plan.  Very annoying.  Takes me 20 times before I can get to a flight plan menu page.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong:

Hit the FPL button twice (brings up the second menu), then inner knob clockwise (that's the one I have a heck of a time hitting) to switch to the second line in the menu (flight plan catalog menu).

Not having a lot of luck with the mouse, I mapped the G1000 MFD inner knob up/down on joystick buttons and even when hitting that it doesn't work for me half the time.  

Is there an easier way to do this starting with the FPL menu not going away so quickly so I have the time to switch to the load catalog page?

Edited by Muchimi

Update...

I went into a deep dive on this yesterday with the dataref tool in x-plane to spelunk through the various functions of the TBM surrounding the flight plan loading.  I gave up with the mouse because it's just too tedious, especially with Trackir or headshake enabled - can't hit the side of a barn with that mouse in the time you have to click the inner knob to change the menu to the line you need to load flight plan from the catalog.

At least with some real buttons, there's a chance.   I ended up mapping two rotary buttons and  push buttons to commands in the keymapper.  The items in bold are the commands to map the button to in the keymapper.

The FMS control knob located to the left of the PLN button and above the keyboard:

OUTER KNOB function (not really used with the flight plan but included here for completeness) - note the description is a misnomer as in this case, the up button scrolls menu down, and the down button scrolls the menu up which I guess makes sense, but not as much sense as clockwise/counterclockwise to my engineering head.

G1000 MFD FMD FMS outer ring tune up    
G1000 MFD FMD FMS outer ring tune down  

INNER KNOB function (That's the one you want for the flight plan activate menu to move up and down between menu options)
G1000 MFD FMD FMS inner ring tune up
G1000 MFD FMD FMS outer ring tune down

FMS BUTTON PUSH function  

G1000 MFD FMS cursor   

ENTER function (some flight plan screens)
G1000 MFD FMD ENT.

You can also map these functions to the FPL button

G1000 MFD FPL    

and for the PROC button:

G1000 MFD proc.

It's quite manageable now as there is time to switch the menu before it goes away while you're hunting for the click spot on the knob (and hit the wrong thing - usually I either get the push function of the outerknob).  Mapping buttons works all the time now.

Edited by Muchimi