X-Plane crashes because of a worn brake disc.

xpst

I get a crash which looks like a maintenance manager bug when handling a worn brake disc state.

(I was testing my toe braking skills by zipping up and down a long airfield, and finally killed a disc).

Now, as soon as I go into maintenance manager -> landing gear, X-Plane crashes with :

2019-02-19 22:45:28 TBM900[fail.c:932]: Component right gear brake disc has failed due to excessive wear (worn: 100.000000%, slope 1.0). You can prevent this by observing performance limitations and servicing the aircraft regularly in the maintenance hangar.
2019-02-19 22:45:28 TBM900[fail.c:935]: Failure impact: sim/operation/failures/rel_rbrakes
2019-02-19 22:46:15 TBM900[maint.c:2039]: assertion "fail->fail_name != ((void *)0)" failed:

Workaround which worked for me :
I set airframe state file value gear/comp/3(or /2)/brake_disc/wear value to < 1.0, then maintenance manager access worked again, and I could pay $$$ for fixes.

Log.txt

Edited by xpst

Hi Goran !

> details about the flight before the crash
The "flight" was fine. I killed a brake during my braking "training" on the ground (I got myself some rudder pedals, but I just can't manage to apply equal pressure on the pedals when landing, and keep having to pay for repairing the grass). This plane is costing me. A lot.

The brake failed pretty fast, I'm not sure how realistic that is, but then the plane simulated the failed brake perfectly (swerving to the correct side, etc.).

For me it's easy to reproduce :

1) either kill a disc by blocking your airport for 15 minutes, powering up to 90 knots and braking, powering up and braking, etc.

or set gear/comp/3/brake_disc/wear = 1.000000000000000 in the airframe state file and start X-Plane.

2) Go into maintenance manager -> landing gear

12 hours ago, Goran_M said:

Looking at the log, looks like the worn brake disc actually caused something else in x plane to stop and crash. That’s bizarre. Can you tell me all the details about the flight before the crash?  I want to try and duplicate this one. 

Hello @Goran_M! Okay, so this morning I read the postings for this CTD, and in the back of my mind said I might give this a try. Of note since the latest revision to the TBM-900 I have not had any type of failure.

I flew a local flight at KMCO, shot and missed an ILS approach, and reshot the approach and landed on 18L. On roll-out I decided to add power, go to approx. 90 knots and abort take-off with hard braking. After two aborts I got the warning to delay TA for 15 minutes. One or two more aborts with hard braking created a warning to delay TA for 45 minutes. I then taxied to the ramp, with extremely poor braking (expected condition), parked the aircraft, and shut down the engine to do a inspection and see what the maintenance manager might say (I expected to shell out a couple hundred bucks for this abuse of my beloved TBM ;-) On attempting to open the MM I then experienced the CTB as @xpst described.

I reopened X-Plane and selecting either Yes or No when the splash screen for Flight Recovery opens still leads to the CTD.

Attached are my Log files and perhaps they may help you. I do not see this as a major problem as I really had to work at creating the failure, and will reload if necessary to continue my adventures with the TBM.

Regards,

Dwight

Log.txt

TBM900_Log.txt

2 minutes ago, DwightP980 said:

Hello @Goran_M! Okay, so this morning I read the postings for this CTD, and in the back of my mind said I might give this a try. Of note since the latest revision to the TBM-900 I have not had any type of failure.

I flew a local flight at KMCO, shot and missed an ILS approach, and reshot the approach and landed on 18L. On roll-out I decided to add power, go to approx. 90 knots and abort take-off with hard braking. After two aborts I got the warning to delay TA for 15 minutes. One or two more aborts with hard braking created a warning to delay TA for 45 minutes. I then taxied to the ramp, with extremely poor braking (expected condition), parked the aircraft, and shut down the engine to do a inspection and see what the maintenance manager might say (I expected to shell out a couple hundred bucks for this abuse of my beloved TBM ;-) On attempting to open the MM I then experienced the CTB as @xpst described.

I reopened X-Plane and selecting either Yes or No when the splash screen for Flight Recovery opens still leads to the CTD.

Attached are my Log files and perhaps they may help you. I do not see this as a major problem as I really had to work at creating the failure, and will reload if necessary to continue my adventures with the TBM.

Regards,

Dwight

Log.txt

TBM900_Log.txt

Could you do me a big favor?  Could you remove all plugins except Gizmo, out of your plugins folder.  Particularly FlywithLUA, and try the exact same test, and please report back?  I'm very interested in this error.  I have tagged Saso in this, and have told him about it.  He'll jump in when he has a chance and hopefully shed more light on it.

Sure, done.

Removed all plugins (I only had one, and FWIW, never had FlywithLUA). Then I set set gear/comp/3/brake_disc/wear = 1.000000000000000 in the airframe state file (which is what you get if you wear it down), and got the crash as soon as I clicked on maintenance manager -> landing gear.

Log.txt