Uncontrollable on Ground

Rhinozherous

Hello!

I am new to the TBM and so far I love it... except on ground. The steering with Rudder is extreme shimmy. Takeoff and triyng to counter for tourge is impossible. On takeoff and landing it is impossible to keep a straight line. I cant imagine that the real aircraft is that hard to steer, it would be suicidal.

I already tried with response curves but without success. What do other to keep it steerable? I have seen videos on youtube where it was not that crazy.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Hello!

I am new to the TBM and so far I love it... except on ground. The steering with Rudder is extreme shimmy. Takeoff and triyng to counter for tourge is impossible. On takeoff and landing it is impossible to keep a straight line. I cant imagine that the real aircraft is that hard to steer, it would be suicidal.

I already tried with response curves but without success. What do other to keep it steerable? I have seen videos on youtube where it was not that crazy.

Thank you

@Rhinozherous Hello! Try the following as it is what did the trick for me:

1. Power the TBM-900 up.

2. Turn the Auto-Pilot On (switch located the overhead panel righthand side)

3. As soon as the PFD's and MFD have powered up go to the TRIM section of the MFD (lower left corner)  and move the RUD trim to the center (white tick mark) and the ELEV to the T/O white tick mark.

4. Toggle the Beta Prop switch located under the Power lever on the left side to enter Reverse and the Taxi power range.

By playing with the above settings my TBM is very much so controllable for Take Offs and Taxi. My preference for the Control Sensitivity for my controls are set to 50% for both Control Response and Stability Augmentation.

The RUD trim is likely the biggest culprit as I was lining the tick mark up with the BLUE mark. Mine handles best when trimmed to just touching the right side of the WHITE mark.

Your mileage may very as they say ;-)

Regards!

Edit: Also when you have aligned with the runway for Take Off bring the power up to 40% prop torque indicated (or very close) stabilize power and on the takeoff roll easy power to takeoff power.

Edited by DwightP980
See Edit: at bottom of entry.

Hi Gents,

The last trick does it for me;  at TO bring the power up to approx 40%, let go of the brakes and then slowly advance power to TO power. On landing apply reverse thrust slowly. 

If you have a lots of side wind on TO it gets trickier. But I'll guess that's true also in the real world in the TBM:s.

/J