Transition omg Where???

TonyVier

Hi,

So, I plan my flight with Simbrief, get a nice flightplan, load it in the FMC.

So far so good. I enter the SID, in most cases, this works out just fine.

But now.

I have a STAR, and a runway.

When selecting those, often there is a choice for a transition. 

And there I have a problem.

I have a Navigraph subscription, and I stare at the maps, to find the most logical transition for the approach

However, until now I can not find, most of the time, these transitions for the STAR on the maps I have...

So, I end up selecting a random transition, and look if it makes sense, sometimes ending up with a spaghetti approach  ;) and trying again. 

I must have a blind spot somewhere...

Can someone teach me howto find the right transition for an approach??

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi,

the transition is usually the link from the Initial Approach Fix to the Initial Fix (IF)

Well, take for instance ZUCK, the growing airport of the economical area of Chonqing, central China.

Take a look at the chart.

The transitions to the ILS Z 02 L RNAV are CK900, CK701, CK705, CK513 and CK901.

If you are inbound to  ILS Z 02L RNAV from QiJang, your flight plan will be QJG3J then (look at the "natural" IAF for you from QGJ) transition CK705 to ILS Z 02L RNAV.

But If  I use the STAR PROC 2J, don't choose CK705, because this waypoint is not on the PROC 2J path. The later ends at CK900. Select Transition CK900 to ILS Z 02L.

It's easier with FZOA in Congo.

The RNP 18 has 3 transitions : BEMED ABUGI DETRI.

If you use ROPIM1A STAR, your trnsition is ABUGI

If you fly the  TUXAN 1A, your transition is DETRI.

• Like 1

If you feel uncertain about charts depiction and you fly mostly airliners, maybe you could also try the german charts provided by Aerosoft NavDataPro (LIDO charts well suited for airline type of flying, less GA-friendly).

There are less charts to crawl in in LIDO than in Jeppesen. As a consequence it's simple.

One day access is €3.02 in my country.

Stars are WGS-84 waypoints and the transition here will be called CK901 if it begins at waypoint CK901 for instance. But in some case, the name of the transition can differ from the name of the initial fix of the transition.

In Paris LFPO, the transition starting at MOLBA to West-faced ILS or RNP APCH at LFPO is called MOLBA5W.

TransitionMOLBA5W.jpg.197750c436cc2988e03929b4586c57db.jpg

For reference, this is how the different paths to ILS 02L RNAV at ZUCK look on the LIDO chart:

TransitionZUCKILS2L.jpg.5d8eb2cca2db04e3951ff492dabaa56d.jpg

Edited by XPJavelin
  • Like 1