"Broken Stratiform" bug and rain/snow particles issues in VR

NZWW

"Broken stratiform" (as well as solid stratiform) use a lot of video memory. So, my guess would be that it pushed your system over the edge - once you run out of video memory, all sorts of bad behavior can start in X-Plane.

It's not a bug per se, just pushing your system too hard. As you correctly diagnosed, sticking with the default "HD puffs" setting is the right thing to do in your case.

Hi.

Just a suggestion, I doubt this is the case with memory leak/bad performance because my settings are highly optimized for VR specifically and hardware is quite good (I7-8700K, 32GB ram, 1080TI, SSD M2). FPS never dive below 25 or so (typically 30-40). This 'blackout' happens almost in any location (incl. sparse areas) and with high FPS, as long as it is daylight and if there are some clouds (in fact after 'blackout' FPS continue as normal, everything is operational except that textures are corrupted). In most cases (regardless of location) this happens about 15 seconds after rotation (takeoff) and never while on ground or at night (incl in-flight). Again, this all has not happened in XP 11.26. When a few weeks ago I first noticed this bug (prior to XP 11.30 final stable release), I immediately rolled back one of the 11.30 release candidate beta versions back to 11.26, there was no black out -- all with identical settings everywhere; so my inclination is to think that something in XP 11.30 in VR conflicts with SMP (specifically, something about those type of clouds).

UPD. I have a separate copy of 11.26 (backed up prior to upgrade to final 11.30) -- I can't reproduce this error there with identical environment and settings.

Edited by NZWW

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, jjohnsondawgs said:

I also see precipitation in the cockpit when flying VR with the Oculus. It sucks because I get good VR performance in bad weather with SMP but have to fly in non-precip conditions right now until a solution is found.

This is a limitation of the interface X-Plane presents to plugins; the depth buffer we're given in VR isn't what we expect it to be. As you said I think they broke a few things in VR in 11.30, at least as it pertains to third party plugin integrations.