"how to use VNAV" training resources

bootsie

Greetings,

just struggled with this myself.  Had to refer to a variety of resources. The Ringler video was one that helped.  Key is to enter the VNAV values you want.  You must hit the VNAV button on the autopilot and select a lower altitude within 5 minutes before you reach the TOD point on your GPS course line. I read that a minute before is best.  After engaging VNAV and dialing in a lower altitude, deselect the altitude button and watch your display.  When the aircraft symbol reaches the TOD (top of descent) symbol, represented by a small circle on your course line,  the aircraft should descend until it reaches the BOD (bottom of descent) symbol (another small circle) on the course line and at that point you will level off at whatever altitude value you set in the VNAV profile.  It’s pretty cool feature once you understand how to use it.  

It took me awhile.  If you need more help don’t be afraid to reach out.

Edited by cbreeze
  • Upvote 1

Freeware : there are some,  but not many , You tube videos type G1000 in the Search bar . The series made by Flying like The Pros is pretty good , but they talk fast.  The official , Garmin manual for the TBM 900 is free to download  and is probably the most important resource . Reading it is like eating cardboard . Stultifying But its all there and it has the best chapter on the GFC 700 , I've been able to find  . There is also a Laminar manual inside your XP installation. 

Paid resources . Max Trescott's has written a  book on the G1000. It describes the manual pretty much , using different words. Garmin used to sell training software featuring the G1000 . Every feature of the G1000 is reproduced by the Trainer.   Saves the hassle of firing up an aeroplane before being able to learn the features , but the manual for this Trainer is sparse.

In short the information is scattered,  & of variable quality . No single resource provides all the answers  . With a few exceptions like Philip Ringlers video  , there is little in the way of scenario based training for this vital piece of equipment..  

Back to your question re the VNAV ; The best resource is probably the Garmin manual , tedious as it is 

1) Your flight plan needs to be filled in including altitudes for each waypoint , make sure in the vnav portion of the window that the cursor is off . So for example if you dial a 3% descent gradient press enter to confirm and make sure the blue/green cursor disappears . 

2)  The Autopilot has to have a specified Altitude to descend to  when enroute.  Enter this altitude manually   using the altitude rotary encoders on the PFD or MFD so that the required altitude displays in the altitude window above the altitude ribbon. An enroute waypoint in a flight plan has 2 elements : its location (lateral navigation ) and its altitude ( vertical navigation ).

The autopilot will follow the FPL lateral navigation instructions automatically if NAV mode is engaged . But it will not follow automatically a vertical navigation profile unless some manual entries are made by the pilot. Enter  the relevant variables in the vnav window , dial in altitude above the ribbon , then press Vnav on the AP if within 5 minutes of Top of Descent. The Time to TOD is shown as it counts down in the Vnav window. Then VPATH should show in white on the right side of the AP annunciator in the PFD showing VNAV is armed then watch the nose dip as you reach time for TOD . Its a thing of beauty.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2019 at 2:52 PM, fireone said:

Freeware : there are some,  but not many , You tube videos type G1000 in the Search bar . The series made by Flying like The Pros is pretty good , but they talk fast.  The official , Garmin manual for the TBM 900 is free to download  and is probably the most important resource . Reading it is like eating cardboard . Stultifying But its all there and it has the best chapter on the GFC 700 , I've been able to find  . There is also a Laminar manual inside your XP installation. 

Paid resources . Max Trescott's has written a  book on the G1000. It describes the manual pretty much , using different words. Garmin used to sell training software featuring the G1000 . Every feature of the G1000 is reproduced by the Trainer.   Saves the hassle of firing up an aeroplane before being able to learn the features , but the manual for this Trainer is sparse.

In short the information is scattered,  & of variable quality . No single resource provides all the answers  . With a few exceptions like Philip Ringlers video  , there is little in the way of scenario based training for this vital piece of equipment..  

Back to your question re the VNAV ; The best resource is probably the Garmin manual , tedious as it is 

1) Your flight plan needs to be filled in including altitudes for each waypoint , make sure in the vnav portion of the window that the cursor is off . So for example if you dial a 3% descent gradient press enter to confirm and make sure the blue/green cursor disappears . 

2)  The Autopilot has to have a specified Altitude to descend to  when enroute.  Enter this altitude manually   using the altitude rotary encoders on the PFD or MFD so that the required altitude displays in the altitude window above the altitude ribbon. An enroute waypoint in a flight plan has 2 elements : its location (lateral navigation ) and its altitude ( vertical navigation ).

The autopilot will follow the FPL lateral navigation instructions automatically if NAV mode is engaged . But it will not follow automatically a vertical navigation profile unless some manual entries are made by the pilot. Enter  the relevant variables in the vnav window , dial in altitude above the ribbon , then press Vnav on the AP if within 5 minutes of Top of Descent. The Time to TOD is shown as it counts down in the Vnav window. Then VPATH should show in white on the right side of the AP annunciator in the PFD showing VNAV is armed then watch the nose dip as you reach time for TOD . Its a thing of beauty.

All, thank for the personal feedback. I found the Manuals and placed the links to them below.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=606065&tab=manuals

http://www.tbm.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PIM_TBM900__E1.pdf

I've only just begun my TBM adventure in X-plane with Hotstart so forgive my ignorance in asking as I have not viewed all the posts on this site. Reading through the Hotstart manual there are a number of places stating "This feature not supported". Due to my lack of experience with the plane, but as a Real World Pilot, I have to ask...have the question(s) been answered regarding 1) Are the limitations with the HS TBM a function of X-plane, which we cannot control, or is it the HS team has yet to fully enable all Aircraft and the  G1000 NXi functionality to date? 2) Has a list been assembled stating what features ( limitations) of the aircraft and Nav system, are not functioning per the Real World product? It would help to know in advance what areas to be aware of so as not to get frustrated when the manual says Y but I can only do X. 

Thank you all,