TBM 900 Throttle Position Switch/Axis implementation

mhayling

Hi all.

Is there a way to assign switches to position the throttle from Cut Off to Low Idle/High Idle/Flight idle.

I have a Throttle quadrant but cant get the throttle out of Cutoff without using the mouse.

I would really like to be able to get from cutoff to flight  and back to cutoff without having to use the mouse.

Thanks for any help guys.

And if the Devs read this and its not possible, Please make it possible in the near future.

Mark

I would love to use one of the unused axis on my Saitek throttle quadrant. I have already asked once if they could possibly introduce dedicated commands for cut off, low and high idle and flight idle. That way I could create a custom axis which sends those commands at a certain axis value.

• Like 1

Yeah I would love to base a home cockpit off of the TBM-900 but without an axis or dedicated switches for the various mixture/prop/throttle settings its practically impossible to implement the throttle controls.

Really wish they would implement individual switches for each possible position instead of the mixture_up_a_bit/ down a bit routine. That cant work with a physical throttle, unless you have the design skills of a NASA engineer. It would require quit a complicated aparaticus to work right.

• 3 months later...

Hi, do you still need a way to use an axis? I can give you my FlyWithLua script, which allows me to use an axis for c/o - low idle - high idle - flight idle.

If you need it, I can also give you my script for the flap settings, so you can use a button for each position and nou just up/down a notch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 5:13 AM, Tommytongue said:

ch. Cole I woould like to get those Lua scripts off you if I can....And if possibly detailed instructions on how to impliment them. I am not really familiar with LUA.

Thanks

Do you know how to use FlyWithLua? It's quite easy to install.

I'll attach my script, just put it in the FlyWithLua\scripts folder and assign an axis to "Mixture 1", it should work then. If you need help, just write.

Mixture.lua

Edited by Ch.Cole
Edit: Small fix, I was unable to assign a mixture axis in the TBM, so I changed it to "Mixture 1"
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

I'll attach my script, just put it in the FlyWithLua\scripts folder and assign an axis to "Mixture 1", it should work then. If you need help, just write.

Mixture.lua

Awesome! I had wondered if it was possible to use the mixture axis on my throttle quadrant for the high/low/cutoff positions on the TBM. I will try your script.

ETA: Works perfect, thanks!

Edited by Skrimps

Thanks a lot.....

Unfortunatley  it doesn't work for me...…..

Is this for the Hot Start TBM from X-Aviation.

All it does is stick the throttle in flight idle and it cant be moved across with mouse or the axis after assignment.

Edited by Tommytongue
UPDATE

1 hour ago, Tommytongue said:

Thanks a lot.....

Unfortunatley  it doesn't work for me...…..

Is this for the Hot Start TBM from X-Aviation.

All it does is stick the throttle in flight idle and it cant be moved across with mouse or the axis after assignment.

Ok, I'll try to help. In the lua-file there is a disabled line "do_every_draw". Remove the -- from the beginning of the line. If you reload the lua scripts "reload all lua scripts" via the FlyWithLua-menu, you should get some values in the lower left screen area. Can you check if the axis value changes? Have you set one axis as "mixture 1"?

13 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

Ok, I'll try to help. In the lua-file there is a disabled line "do_every_draw". Remove the -- from the beginning of the line. If you reload the lua scripts "reload all lua scripts" via the FlyWithLua-menu, you should get some values in the lower left screen area. Can you check if the axis value changes? Have you set one axis as "mixture 1"?

Ok so I did that …..and I know feel a complete idiot.... It does work I set the axis to Mixture.....NOT MIXTURE 1.....

Thanks a lot this is great and sorry for my mistake.

14 minutes ago, Tommytongue said:

Ok so I did that …..and I know feel a complete idiot.... It does work I set the axis to Mixture.....NOT MIXTURE 1.....

Thanks a lot this is great and sorry for my mistake.

No problem, glad it works :)

You can adjust the settings in the lua-file, at which axis position you want to have which setting, by the way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

No problem, glad it works :)

You can adjust the settings in the lua-file, at which axis position you want to have which setting, by the way.

If I understand you correctly, you say it's possible to edit the file and change the position on the axis for when it changes from cut off to low idle and so on? If so do you mind giving a brief explanation how? Cut off to low idle on my axis is a little over 1/2 way, it would be great if it was a bit sooner but even so I am very happy with the way it works either way.

3 hours ago, Skrimps said:

If I understand you correctly, you say it's possible to edit the file and change the position on the axis for when it changes from cut off to low idle and so on? If so do you mind giving a brief explanation how? Cut off to low idle on my axis is a little over 1/2 way, it would be great if it was a bit sooner but even so I am very happy with the way it works either way.

Yes, that's what I meant. If you look into the lua-file, there is a line commented out, that starts with "do_every_draw". Remove the "--" from the beginning of that line, so that you get some info on the lower right. Check the axis value and adjust these lines accordingly:

function getvalue ()
if mixture_axis > 0.55 then SetTo = 0 end
if mixture_axis < 0.55 then SetTo = 1 end
if mixture_axis < 0.45 then SetTo = 2 end
if mixture_axis < 0.09 then SetTo = 3 end

To explain: "SetTo = 0" sets to cut off, 1 to low idle, 2 high idle, 3 flight idle.

Put your axis in the highest position you still want to be "cut off", and replace both instances of 0.55 with it. Find the highest position for low idle, replace 0.45 with it, same for high idle and 0.09.

Obviously, the axis should read 1 at cut off, 0 at the flight idle position. If it's the opposite, just reverse the polarity (j/k, reverse the axis ;) ).

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any furter questions or need other functionality, I'll try my best.

Just one warning: Due to the implementation. Right now, you can not move to high idle (actually the complete right side) if you are in the taxi/reverse range. I don't really need that functionality. If you do need it, I can try to make it possible.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

Yes, that's what I meant. If you look into the lua-file, there is a line commented out, that starts with "do_every_draw". Remove the "--" from the beginning of that line, so that you get some info on the lower right. Check the axis value and adjust these lines accordingly:

function getvalue ()
if mixture_axis > 0.55 then SetTo = 0 end
if mixture_axis < 0.55 then SetTo = 1 end
if mixture_axis < 0.45 then SetTo = 2 end
if mixture_axis < 0.09 then SetTo = 3 end

To explain: "SetTo = 0" sets to cut off, 1 to low idle, 2 high idle, 3 flight idle.

Put your axis in the highest position you still want to be "cut off", and replace both instances of 0.55 with it. Find the highest position for low idle, replace 0.45 with it, same for high idle and 0.09.

Obviously, the axis should read 1 at cut off, 0 at the flight idle position. If it's the opposite, just reverse the polarity (j/k, reverse the axis ;) ).

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any furter questions or need other functionality, I'll try my best.

Just one warning: Due to the implementation. Right now, you can not move to high idle (actually the complete right side) if you are in the taxi/reverse range. I don't really need that functionality. If you do need it, I can try to make it possible.

Excellent write up. I will have to play around with it some, although it's really quite fine as it is. As for moving from taxi/reverse to the right, I agree with you and I don't need that functionality either. When I follow the shut down checklist, I have the throttle in flight idle for 2 mins, then move to cut off so how it is now works perfectly.

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, mhayling said:

Hi all.

Is there a way to assign switches to position the throttle from Cut Off to Low Idle/High Idle/Flight idle.

I have a Throttle quadrant but cant get the throttle out of Cutoff without using the mouse.

I would really like to be able to get from cutoff to flight  and back to cutoff without having to use the mouse.

Thanks for any help guys.

And if the Devs read this and its not possible, Please make it possible in the near future.

Mark

The only Command I have found responsive is the custom command "Idle high/low toggle".

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, Ch.Cole said:

Mixture.lua

I also would like to express my sincere appreciation for the little but very helpful script. I use Saitek panels and controls, now the lever controls don't require a mouse. Thanks to you!

It would also be nice to set the taxi and landing lights with the Saitek switch panel. Still cannot figure out how to achieve that.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be a stupid question, probably is coming from me, but once you have the throttle into high idle how do you get the normal throttle to work? The lua script worked amazing once I flipped the 0,1,2,3 around for my mixture lever. I am using a TQ6+ throttle quadrant that is amazingly smooth, I just can't figure out how to get the throttle to register in the plane.

Suggestions?

1 hour ago, flexcopmnpd said:

This may be a stupid question, probably is coming from me, but once you have the throttle into high idle how do you get the normal throttle to work? The lua script worked amazing once I flipped the 0,1,2,3 around for my mixture lever. I am using a TQ6+ throttle quadrant that is amazingly smooth, I just can't figure out how to get the throttle to register in the plane.

Suggestions?

Once it's in high idle, hardware throttle should work normally.  If it isn't, you likely have something not assigned correctly.  Make sure you DO NOT have "Throttle 1" assigned to your throttle axis.  That won't work.  It should be "Throttle all".

• Like 1