Cabine pressure vessel "worn" Question

LKN

Hi Captains,

This beautiful bird still gives me cold sweats, I love it day and night!

Well, I just crashed at LFRG on landing, no victime on scene...

my flare was done like a beginner (even a beginner I wish he'll do better) so that I stalled at 40ft from the touch down and could'nt recover despite of increasing my speed but didn't have enough power to go around...

Verdict: It cost the airline $850 000 to repair her!  I guess I'll be fired for sure... But before getting in the bus to go home, I'd like to know if there is an opportunity to fly over 10 000 ft without getting a cabine pressure issue as it happened to me once (which makes twice in total now)  even after a replacement of the cabine pressure vessel, it is still on "worn" .

Does it mean that she is condamned to fly bellow FL 100 for ever? which will be a heavy justification for the airline to put me away of its schedules!

Tks,

Lkn

Edited by LKN

Nothing to worry about... fly with the mask on. :D LOL! 

I don't know what happens in the sim... but if you tried it in real... flying with a cracked pressure hull... you could suffer either explosive decompression if something suddenly goes...  or at the minimum... suffer a crack that leads to a negative pressure situation despite the ability of the pumps to overcome...

If you'll recall... that's what happened to the "Ghost Plane" incident... also known as the South Dakota Lear Jet Crash. Basically, they had some kind of failure in the pressure hull... and all the air was sucked out through depressurization. As a run of bad luck, the plane had just been serviced... and as a part of that servicing, the maintenance crew shut off the valves that provide the bottled oxy to the pilots and the passenger masks. When the pilots recognized the hypoxia (hence why we all need HA training to fly an actual TBM)... they put the masks on... but the oxy wasn't flowing. They had no way to put the oxy valves from off to on from inside the aircraft (a defect that has since changed). At about 75% oxy... that was it... they all giggled their ass off from nitrogen narcosis... then passed out... then literally went into brain death... 

As a consequence... the plane flew along at FL 390 and was intercepted by the US Airforce when they became non-responsive. The CAP found the plane on course, unresponsive to their commands (visual and radio), and the windows were all frosted over from the decompression... 

Bottom line... you crack the hull... it's game over in real life. Thanks to HS/LES - all you do is repair the sim and you're GTG.

Real life - total hull loss... plane would be worthless if the pressure vessel cracked... 

oxygen-masks[1].jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbreeze said:

Can someone please tell me how to set the altitude of the destination airport or info on how to operate the ECS.  

Press the system softkey on the MFD, then you will get some other softkeys to enter a LFE (landing field elevation) manually or automatically fill in the LFE of the destination airport from the FMS. 

Other than that there's not much to "operate" in terms if the ECS. Just make sure to turn on the bleed switch and maybe turn on the AC and adjust cabin temperature if you're feeling cold. :)

Edited by RobW05

Ok pilots thanks for your replies but it looks like we still don't know what could happen in the sim if we fly at FL200 for exemple with "worn" cabine pressure vessel

I'm making a long flight from PAHO (Alsaka) to LFQQ (Lille, France) but heading from East to West, so not sure if I'll be able to fly over Himalaya...

At PASA right now with a MAYDAY MAYDAY MADAY just after take off with a rudder trim and elevator trim linkage in very bad conditions, have to be replaced but no maintenance services at this airport! I don't even know how did I get into troubles like that?

I gotta rent an other aircraft to fly back to PAEM, then fly a cargo to bring a new elevator and a new rudder trim.... what a bad day! it has a price !:(

On 12/23/2018 at 12:21 AM, Goran_M said:

Did you set your LFE (Landing Field Elevation)

Did you set Bleed to Auto and Pressurization to Auto?

Sure! I did! Concerning my first post, the cabine pressure vessel "worn" was due to a crash landing!

That bird is so enjoyable to fly by the way, it demands real attention! LOVE IT SO BADLY!!!

Ok, I plead ignorance or just plain stupid but can someone please tell me how to manually set the destination field elevation?.  I certainly don't want a worn pressure vessel again and I believe this was the problem.  I did try working the system soft key but still could not find where to enter the destination altitude.

LKN

I just recently had been flying an aircraft with a worn pressure vessel for several flights.  On the last one, I was up at about 20000 ft and everything was normal.  When I to descend and got  below 18000 I suddenly lost control of the aircraft.  I entered a rapid dive and started rolling then crashed.  I think this is what happens when your pressure vessel fails.  Its not pretty and a wild ride down.  This is the reason I am concerned about setting my destination field altitude.

I love this aircraft!!!!!!!!.

12 hours ago, cbreeze said:

I just recently had been flying an aircraft with a worn pressure vessel for several flights.  On the last one, I was up at about 20000 ft and everything was normal.  When I to descend and got  below 18000 I suddenly lost control of the aircraft.  I entered a rapid dive and started rolling then crashed.  I think this is what happens when your pressure vessel fails.

Hi Captain cbreeze!

Thank you very much for this precious reliable information, you just save my pilot virtual's life!!! I was about to take off to make a test flight at PASA by night!

So that I have no choice than to sell my bird, she just cannot bring me back to France by flying over Himalaya as it was planned... I mean if now she is condanmed not to fly over FL130, what can I do with her if it's not to put her in the market place for a very low price! :(

Indeed I understand you feel concerned about pressure vessel fails, we shall!

See my snap bellow to set your destination fiel elevation

1 clik on SYSTEM

2 click on FMS LFE and it will set the altitude automatically as you can see it's written in the CABINE PRESS informations and details

you can even set your altitude manually by just clicking on MAN LFE if need be.

20181230_130724.jpg

20181230_130742.jpg

LKN,

Thank you for the response.  Forgot to add one bit of information about my loss of control and subsequent crash.  I got an error message on the PFD right before the aircraft started a rapid descent and started to roll.  I believe it said altitude failure then things got crazy. It happened suddenly and took me by surprise.   I just got a quick look at the message then I focused on trying to regain control of the aircraft but was not successful.  That did solve my worn pressure vessel issue though.