AoA HUD in VR dont work!

Cyrex1984

19 minutes ago, Pivot said:

I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than a green light in regular (non-VR) 11.30 RC1 either. Are there any instructions for its use?

Pivot

It's an Angle of Attack display. The little green line means your aircraft is fine for its speed and air conditions in terms of attack.

The one that is in this TBM seems alot like a Bendix King type monitor... 

That said... I haven't tried stalling it yet... so I'm not certain if the thing is working or not.

B

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

Bryan thank you for the video, makes sense. I hope HS adds some info in the manual as to this system. I just find it a little strange that it only shows green the entire time from rotate to landing. Thank you again for the vid though.

The problem perhaps with ultra-realistic sims is... you actually have to have some understanding of piloting that aircraft to make sense of it.

As that video explains... AoA sensors and readouts are kinda a new thing. On actual G1K and 3K systems... AoA appears by the airspeed... it looks like the arrows/lines circle one...  It's pretty typical on G1K and G3K systems for the past few years...  the Cirrus 22T I flew in for training had an AoA system in it... I think it was 2016.

The one that HS built for this system has a readout similar to Bendix... but looks like the one Alpha Systems sells... for retrofit.

And it's entirely likely the line stays green... means you're AoA is not high enough to stall.

B

17 minutes ago, Bryan @ The Aviation Agenc said:

The problem perhaps with ultra-realistic sims is... you actually have to have some understanding of piloting that aircraft to make sense of it.

As that video explains... AoA sensors and readouts are kinda a new thing. On actual G1K and 3K systems... AoA appears by the airspeed... it looks like the arrows/lines circle one...  It's pretty typical on G1K and G3K systems for the past few years...  the Cirrus 22T I flew in for training had an AoA system in it... I think it was 2016.

The one that HS built for this system has a readout similar to Bendix... but looks like the one Alpha Systems sells... for retrofit.

And it's entirely likely the line stays green... means you're AoA is not high enough to stall.

B

Correct, and I'll expand.  It's actually called a Valkyrie HUD kit.  A single green line indicates excellent AoA.  The moment the AoA starts to increase, all the indicators are displayed, and gradually disappear, from green to red, as the AoA increases.  

Hey Goran... see the screenshot...

This was on a normal climb... 123 kts for optimum  climb rate... you can see I'm nowhere near stall... yet I have a full stall warning on the AOA.

All climb checklists completed... 

In 1.1.2 - the AoA was displaying normally.

Thoughts?

Bryan 

TBM900_17.png

40 minutes ago, Bryan @ The Aviation Agenc said:

Hey Goran... see the screenshot...

This was on a normal climb... 123 kts for optimum  climb rate... you can see I'm nowhere near stall... yet I have a full stall warning on the AOA.

All climb checklists completed... 

In 1.1.2 - the AoA was displaying normally.

Thoughts?

Bryan 

This is correct.  A full stack means you have a slightly increased angle of attack.  

This is how it works:

1 green bar at the base: Optimal AoA

Full stack: AoA increased by at least 1°

Disappearing bars:  AoA gradually increasing.

When you have only the red bars showing, you are about to stall

I know how you think it works.  As the AoA increases, the bars increase.  

It actually works backwards to that.  It de-clutters as you approach stall, to give you a better view out of the window.

Edited by Goran_M

I went and tried to read Alpha's website and videos...  their model doesn't line up exactly with yours... but ok. That's fine... 

I've never used their product before in sim or in real.

I've had AoA's... so this one works similar to the Garmin readout then... red bars only... you gonna die, stop doing what you're doing and look out the window and adjust.

In the previous version, it remained only one bar on the climb... hence my confusion.  When I leveled off with a 2.5-degree pitch ... it went back to one bar... 

Thanks for clearing it up.

B

27 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

This is correct.  A full stack means you have a slightly increased angle of attack.  

This is how it works:

1 green bar at the base: Optimal AoA

Full stack: AoA increased by at least 1°

Disappearing bars:  AoA gradually increasing.

When you have only the red bars showing, you are about to stall

I know how you think it works.  As the AoA increases, the bars increase.  

It actually works backwards to that.  It de-clutters as you approach stall, to give you a better view out of the window.

Quite interesting, without the explanation wouldn't have figured it out easily.

Just made a short flght on v1.1.3 from ENTC to ENSH on XP 11.30r1 in the 3D cockpit. Made a new airframe just to have a fres start just in case. Other than being able to push the DUMP button through the glass protection haven seen anything else remarkable Everything works as expected including the throttle stick. No suspicious marks on the windows, icing looks great, heatblur and double contrails add new dimension although blur is a somewhat strong for my taste.

Thanks for the quick fix Goran_M and team! :D

My AOA is not working in VR. I’m  running xplane 11.30 RC1 and latest version 1.1.3

The aoa lines are there on the unit is just that the lines do not project on the hud glass. However I can see some kind of reflections of the lines superimposed over the bottom on the main  g1000 display??!!! This also only displayed on the left VR lense. 

Edited by Captain744

4 hours ago, Captain744 said:

My AOA is not working in VR. I’m  running xplane 11.30 RC1 and latest version 1.1.3

The aoa lines are there on the unit is just that the lines do not project on the hud glass. However I can see some kind of reflections of the lines superimposed over the bottom on the main  g1000 display??!!! This also only displayed on the left VR lense. 

Likely a VR issue.  We'll look into it.

• 2 weeks later...