Mac Crash SkyMaxx Pro 4.7

sgabriel

Hi! I have tried to mount the install .dmg three times, the third time using a fresh download. The mount begins, and then shuts down my whole computer. Help?!

(I have tested the theory that there is something amiss with my computer, but other .dmgs mount just fine.)

Edited by sgabriel

I also was experiencing crashes on Mac OS 10.14.2 Mojave after the intial reentry of license credentials for SkyMax Pro 4.7.  X-Plane 11.30 would crash every time after I installed Skymax 4.7.  Contrary to the other email I received citing that Real Weather Connector was updated to 1.1 and that all you had to do was install SkyMaxx Pro 4.7 to get the RWC 1.1, that is incorrect, as it never installs. I even tried removing RWC 1.0 and SMP 4.7 does not install a new RWC 1.1.  Launching X-Plane 11.30 with SMP 4.7 installed always crashes X-Plane, whether or not I leave the old RWC 1.0 in place and configure the system to manual weather, or if I remove RWC 1.0 entirely.  X-Plane does not generate a crash log because the application crashes, but Mac OS does generate a crash report, which I have attached.  I had to revert back to former version SMP 4.6 and RWC 1.0 to be able to fly again.  

xplane 11_30 skymaxx 4_7 crash.txt

Edited by Wendy

9 hours ago, sgabriel said:

Hi! I have tried to mount the install .dmg three times, the third time using a fresh download. The mount begins, and then shuts down my whole computer. Help?!

(I have tested the theory that there is something amiss with my computer, but other .dmgs mount just fine.)

Please open a support ticket with X-Aviation if you haven't already (they produce and support the installers, not us - otherwise I'd try to help.)

8 hours ago, Wendy said:

I also was experiencing crashes on Mac OS 10.14.2 Mojave after the intial reentry of license credentials for SkyMax Pro 4.7.  X-Plane 11.30 would crash every time after I installed Skymax 4.7.  Contrary to the other email I received citing that Real Weather Connector was updated to 1.1 and that all you had to do was install SkyMaxx Pro 4.7 to get the RWC 1.1, that is incorrect, as it never installs. I even tried removing RWC 1.0 and SMP 4.7 does not install a new RWC 1.1.  Launching X-Plane 11.30 with SMP 4.7 installed always crashes X-Plane, whether or not I leave the old RWC 1.0 in place and configure the system to manual weather, or if I remove RWC 1.0 entirely.  X-Plane does not generate a crash log because the application crashes, but Mac OS does generate a crash report, which I have attached.  I had to revert back to former version SMP 4.6 and RWC 1.0 to be able to fly again.  

xplane 11_30 skymaxx 4_7 crash.txt

Thanks for providing the crash log. As Cameron said, I don't think that crash has anything to do with RWC. But it's puzzling - I just tried our final release on my Mac here and it loads up and works fine, nor did any crashes arise at all during our beta testing. Your log suggests the crash happened while MacOS was trying to allocate memory internally while compiling our shaders. However, it looks like you have 32GB of RAM and an 8GB video card, which should be plenty. It's possible it is some issue specific to your OS version or configuration, which would make it difficult for us to track down.

I did however look at all of the code that changed in the area that crashed for you, and made a few changes in it for our next minor update (expected soon). It's nothing that would explain a crash really, but sometimes the Mac video drivers can be very particular about things.

3 hours ago, sundog said:

Thanks for providing the crash log. As Cameron said, I don't think that crash has anything to do with RWC. But it's puzzling - I just tried our final release on my Mac here and it loads up and works fine, nor did any crashes arise at all during our beta testing. Your log suggests the crash happened while MacOS was trying to allocate memory internally while compiling our shaders. However, it looks like you have 32GB of RAM and an 8GB video card, which should be plenty. It's possible it is some issue specific to your OS version or configuration, which would make it difficult for us to track down.

I did however look at all of the code that changed in the area that crashed for you, and made a few changes in it for our next minor update (expected soon). It's nothing that would explain a crash really, but sometimes the Mac video drivers can be very particular about things.

On the off chance it was my NVIDIA Web Driver, which defaults to Apple's driver (because Apple has not approved any NVIDIA drivers for Mac OS Mojave), I removed the NVIDIA Preference Pane and their CUDA Pref Pane. Then with a known working SMP 4.6 and RWC 1.0, I updated SMP to 4.7. As I mentioned in another post, SMP 4.7 does not update the RWC to 1.1. Nothing is overwritten in that regard, so it remains as RWC 1.0. X-Plane 11.30 launches and only crashes the app once I enter my credentials in the X-Aviation license pop-up window. 

Edited by Wendy

A brief update - we think we have a fix for Mac users who found that SMP 4.7 caused a crash when starting a flight. Fundamentally 4.7 used more video memory on the Mac than 4.6 did, and this pushed some systems over the edge. We found some ways to reclaim that memory, and another update is on the way to help those affected.

Sorry for the trouble this caused anyone. We did test on several Mac systems prior to releasing, but none of them exhibited this problem.