Rain/Ice Effect broken by SMP

fastmover

I'm running TBM 900 v 1.1.1, when flying through precipitation had no rain effects but got a on screen warning " Your simulator is running slow turn off rain/ice effects"

I noticed my CPU had ramped up and stuttering when panning around the cockpit... so I uninstalled SMP, deleted my preference file and restarted XP 11.

Now rain/ice effects are present with no performance hit at all with default weather, is this normal?? do you have to use default weather to get the effects??

My rig is i5 4670K @ 4.4GHz, GTX970 4Gbyte Strix, 16Gb RAM @ 1866Hz

Hey thanks for your help on this one, the funny thing is SkyMaxx Pro is the only add-on I use, the rest of XP11 is vanilla.

I also use IXEG 737, the SAAB 340, FF 757 etc and have never had an issue, it's been the TBM 900 with SMP combination causing big performance problems.

I've noticed the CPU and GPU times on the XP11 FPS data readout have increased using default weather but with no performance hit and rain/ice effects working no the TBM windshield, my CPU and GPU time are lower using SMP but when rain/ice effects are required I get the above mentioned on screen warning with a noticeable performance hit, I turn off rain/ice as per the OSD recommendation and problem solved.

Just ran a another test flight using default XP11 weather and found rain/ice effects are present but loads the CPU and I get OSD warning to turn off effects, the GPU is barely working and has heaps of VRAM available, the effects seem very CPU intensive.

I still can't get rain/ice effects with SMP installed but get the OSD warning even though the met conditions are the same.

If the rain /ice effects could be optimised by Hotstart on a future update it would be great and Sundog Software could find a solution for this aircraft, big ask.

Attached a few screen shots to show the CPU vs GPU work load

TBM900_1.png

TBM900_3.png

I've had no CTD since purchasing the TBM 900 but..... after testing and retesting this is what I found.

1. SMP installed with TBM 900 parked on ramp at NZNR met conditions heavy rain there is no rain/ice effects visible with no performance hit on CPU of GPU and no OSD warning.
  2. SMP installed with TBM 900 at 16000ft in heavy thunderstorm over NZAP no rain/ice effects visible but getting OSD warning and performance hit on CPU, no performance hit on GPU.
  3. SMP uninstalled with TBM 900 parked on ramp at NZNR met conditions heavy rain the rain/ice effects are visible with no performance hit on CPU of GPU and no OSD warning.
  4. SMP uninstalled with TBM 900 at 16000ft in heavy thunderstorm over NZAP rain/ice effects are visible but getting OSD warning with performance hit on CPU, no performance hit on GPU.

• 1 month later...