Can't set rudder trim

mikehatch

Going through all the manuals and getting set up for take off. I can't seem to trim the rudder over to the right as typically required for TO. I've tried both my joystick assignment for rudder trim right as well as physically clicking the electric trim tab to the right, but the rudder trim doesn't seem to be moving on the center CAS. 

I'm using version 1.1.1, XP 11.26. 

Edit: Same with the elevator trim - joystick keys don't do anything, but there is a physical wheel for elev trim so it'd doable.

Edited by mikehatch

Is there a keyboard assignment for rudder trim AND a joystick assignment ?  Sometimes I have experienced funny behaviour when there is  (by default)  a keyboard assignment for throttle say ,  at the same time as my throttle quadrant is connected to the sim. In this scenario turning off Laminars default keyboard assignment stops erratic throttle quadrant resposes.

Edited by fireone

Ummm.... a thought. You might not want to start this habit of using trim controls on takeoff and landing.

Rudder is what you want... not rudder trim. Pedals. Typically on TOGO and Landing... your neutral trim on all surfaces...  it's the safest and most stable situation for the plane.

Check the maintenance manager like Goran said...  Your trims could essentially be broken because you're trying to control takeoff forces with something roughly the size of a half-sheet of legal sized paper.

That all said... assign buttons to rudder... pedals or the stick or whatever... that's what you should use as you move down the runway. You'll find you need very little right rudder until about 60 kts... then slowly increase to Vr... then hold that position as you rotate... and after a few seconds of smoothing out... you'll control everything just through main controls again. 

I'd also not engage AP ahead of 500 AGL... but that's just me.  I realize you can do it in the sim... but typically it's dangerous to engage AP head of 500 feet on take off... and disengage it below 200 feet on an instrument approach. I usually pop that AP trims button at 500 feet on landing... and don't put it on ahead of 1000 ft agl (basically just before I have to contact Approach). 

Just a thought anyways...

B