Any resources/tutorials to master the autopilot GFC-700 ?

fireone

Are there any resources, in any form ,that will help master the practical aspects of the GFC 700 auto pilot ?

The items I've read and watched . The Hotstart manuals , the Garmin chapter on the AFCS , videos on Youtube by Garmin and others , I've ordered Max Trescott' s book on the G1000 .

My main problem is these resources describe what the buttons and dials do , but scarce  description of  the best way of how and when and why  to use the various buttons in different situations.

T here are no scenario based examples of how to use the autopilot  ,apart from one example in the Garmin G1000 manual  where a flight from take off to missed approach is described .

Edited by fireone

The Hotstart TBM relies on the X-Plane G1000 and not the real life G1000. There are missing options in the X-Plane G1000 so reading that manual is your first stop.

Did you check this out? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnOUxBdM2m4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF-kBdBgoWU It may not contain all the information you are seeking. 

Edited by CDNCAVOK
  • Like 1

Really Good find CDNCAVOK. 

Since posting I've also reread the X-plane published manual on the G1000 which is also very good. It has a nice section on the AP.

On Tuesday I completed an hour long flight , IFR , 4 waypoints,  different altitudes , ILS on approach.

Except 1 minute after take off, and hand flying below the MDA ,all done by operating the AP.

The way the TBM   rolls onto a heading or captures an altitude or descends on a glideslope with AP is a sight to behold.

As I learn more of the functions of the Autopilot,  the TBM becomes an ever more awesome plane to fly .

1 hour ago, fireone said:

Really Good find CDNCAVOK. 

Since posting I've also reread the X-plane published manual on the G1000 which is also very good. It has a nice section on the AP. 

On Tuesday I completed an hour long flight , IFR , 4 waypoints,  different altitudes , ILS on approach. 

Except 1 minute after take off, and hand flying below the MDA ,all done by operating the AP. 

The way the TBM   rolls onto a heading or captures an altitude or descends on a glideslope with AP is a sight to behold.

As I learn more of the functions of the Autopilot,  the TBM becomes an ever more awesome plane to fly .

Good to hear that you are taking full advantage of the avionics. I like to use the VNV function for non precision approaches with step descents. The traditional way would be to convert the % gradient to fpm and setting the VS. Either way I agree, it is a pleasure to fly! When I trained to obtain my M.E. Instrument rating, it was with a Piper Aztec E, no auto pilot, just steam gauges VOR, DME, NDB, and charts on my kneeboard. Single Pilot IFR was quite a handful without any emergencies! 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/CESPA/Piper-PA-23-250-Aztec-E/73873/L

The Flylikethe Pros videos have so  much useful information its impossible to assimilate it all in a single viewing . Great Resource .

I can only  imagine the amount of skill and concentration involved in  Multi Engine Single Pilot Ops in a Canadian midwinter approach to the minima.