Nosewheel Steering?

Brett Adams

So, I'm having extreme issues controlling the aircraft on takeoff/landing. The *lightest* touch on the pedals and it careens one way or another. When looking external to the aircraft and pushing in a pedal (even while stopped on the ramp) I'm noticing that the front wheel of the aircraft IS turning as if I have nosewheel steering.

I searched the forums before posting and it was clear this aircraft doesn't have nosewheel steering, so I'm assuming the front wheel steering in xplane = bad. This make it almost uncontrollable on landing since nosewheel is constantly on. Even if I hit the nosewheel steering toggle in xplane it remains on no matter what I do.

*Picture attached of it fully deflected.TBM900_1.thumb.png.b8f6248e4efd40c779e986ab1a338cf6.png

Thoughts? I'm on the latest version.

Brett 

I believe the nose wheel steering is connected to the rudder inputs like IRL, there is no separate nose wheel steering tiller input. As far as i know the nose wheel should move with the rudder input during taxi and takeoff/ landing. Try adjusting you controller sensitivity.

Edited by ZE1011

Yes, rudder inputs do deflect the nose wheel in the TBM 900. 

From the Pilots Operating Handbook, chapter 7, Ground Maneuvers:

Nose gear steering control is combined with rudder pedals and is fitted with a shimmy damper. When one of rudder pedals is fully pushed, nose wheels wivels about 20°. Steering may be increased up to 28° by applying differential braking to each side.

I have no problems with taxiing or landing, but I'm struggling a bit with the takeoff roll too. I hope for 11.30 which introduces some improvements for axis calibration. Q8Pilot made a good video about upcoming xplane joystick response curves. (look for it on YouTube) He also mentiones in this video that he had very good results with the TBM 900.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. I suppose I should have tried reducing controller sensitivity prior to posting. (sorry about that!) But it does appear to help. I just didn't realize I had to pull the yaw sensitivity back so far for my pedals and the TBM. Anyhow, just tested it again and it does appear to be way better. Still a little rough on takeoff, but I think that's just practice.

Thanks for the quick response and the help!

As stated in some other thread about this:

What I found is that I need to "recalibrate" my rudders every time I load the sim and the TBM. I just push the controls completely in each direction once. Otherwise even the slightest movement of the pedals results in huge inputs in the sim. Hopefully that helps some of you.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:20 AM, Goran_M said:

Someone said they had to re-calibrate their hardware each time the TBM was loaded.  This is definitely not common, and I'm guessing it has to do with the individuals set up.  But try that as well as controller sensitivity.

As I said in another post my X52 pro has to be recalibrated on the left aileron axis each time I load XP11 regardless of the plane used. No need to go through the calibration menu though. Just go to full deflection to the left and neutral so the software know the endpoints of the joystick movement. After that everything is OK. If I forget to do this any sligth movement to the left makes a full left aileron until calibrated as pointed above.