Unplayable framerates when panning camera around

Gilu

Hi, since at least version 1.0.8 i have massive performance issues. I had them since version 1.0, they were fixed by 1.0.5 and 1.0,6. In 1.0.8, 1.0.9 and 1.1 I get good framerates when stationary, but when I pan camera around quickly my fps drop to about 7. I tried completely reinstalling the plane, lowering the settings, disabling all the plugins. Nothing helps and  the TBM is the only plane I have this problem with. I attached screenshots with my framerates when camera is stationary and when I'm panning the view. It happens in both outside and inside views.

My system is:

i7 4790k

GTX 980ti

16GB RAM.

TBM900_9.png

TBM900_8.png

I have almost the same system , my CPU  is a 4690K . The only time I've noticed a frame rate drop to the mid 30s is flying at low altitude over detailed scenery. I pan a lot inside the cockpit but fps stays stable.

In other situations where big fps drops have been noticed deleting the contents of the x-plane preferences folder has improved things sometimes.

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/deleting-preferences/

But take care;-

I wouldn't delete them as the article suggests , rename them instead , so you can reinstitute them if a new preferences folder doesn't solve your problem .

Creating an entirely new preferences folder means you will lose things like joystick settings so back them up by renaming .them. Copy the renamed files to your desktop before deleting the preferences folder

there is also a youtube video showing how to do it. 

For more information google brings up many results if you search X-plane & preferences folder . Worth reading some of the search results if not familiar with manipulating x-plane files

Forgot to mention it, but I already tried that... I'm at my wits' end, because I feel like I've tried almost everything now. The weird thing is that it's the only plane in my whole x-plane collection that does this.

I can load a different plane in the exact same spot and with the exact same settings and I get high, stable framerate, so the issue is specific only to the TBM.  I'm really bummed out, because for the couple hours that I had with 1.0.5 (the big performance improvements patch) it was perfect and I fell in love with this plane, but it really is unplayable at the moment for me. 

Appreciate the help fireone ;)

Edited by Gilu
Grammar, punctuation

Framerate dips when panning around is indicative of texture swapping taking place. Can you provide a screenshot of GPU-Z's Sensors tab? Also, what is your texture quality set to. Did you make scenery changes between 1.0.5 and the latest version? What I suspect is that the texturing setting is set too high and with the extra load of orthophoto imagery can overflow your available VRAM, forcing the driver to swap textures in and out of VRAM on the fly, especially when panning around the scene (the driver swaps out textures that are not in view and tries to replace them with new textures that have come into view).

Well, thanks to your suggestions I tried starting X-plane with only the default scenery files and the problem is gone, so I guess it must have been some rogue sceneries. 

Thank You so much for your help and for taking the time out of your Sunday to help me with this. You can mark this thread as solved and have a great day!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give an update.

My issue returned almost immediately after I last posted, so I gave up for a few months, but lately I've been trying every single potential remedy I could find on this forum. I've removed all plugins, scenery, cleared the shadercache folder, tried with a fresh install of X-plane, going through the log every time, but nothing stood out and the issue persisted. Turns out that Rivatuner Statistics Server was the culprit. Turning it off completely or setting detection level to none on the x-plane executable fixed the problem. I still have no idea why it only affected the TBM, but I'm very relieved that I finally get to properly enjoy this airplane.

Hope this helps anybody with weird performance issues and thanks again for this amazing plane.

• Upvote 1