ILS Capture

Greaser

When doing an ILS approach it doesn't lock on to the LOC or G/S....

I set Both Nav frequencies to the correct one on the chart and Activate the Approach before the IAF. It starts the approach normally and I press the APP button to descend (in autopilot mode). The PFD switches from GPS to LOC in green. But it doesn't lock on. The green G/S diamond comes down but it doesn't lock either.  What am I missing to lock onto LOC and G/S?

• 2 months later...

Greaser,

I’m having trouble getting the autopilot to capture the glide slope in an ILS approach. I noticed your post.  Did you ever resolve your problem?  If you did could you please share the solution?  In my situation it captures the localizer but not the GS.

Thank you,

cbreeze

Edited by cbreeze
spelling

This only pertains to my situation.

I enter the approach in the Flight Plan , select it via the PROC button when ready to fly it and Activate it then press the Approach button on the Auto pilot console I change from GPS to LOC using the PFD CDI  softkey when in the cone . The airport I practice most of the time has a different Localiser frequency , given by Laminar than the one in Navigraph's database . The Laminar frequency  dominates .If the Laminar frequency isn't selected as the active one the ILS isn't captured . And if even slightly outside of the ILS transmission '" Cone".either the lateral or vertical or both will not be captured.  

It took a while to work out the discrepancy in frequecies Laminar vs Navigraph was messing with the approach. Once sorted  , ILS at this airport were almost always straightforward with the AP

Edited by fireone

2 hours ago, fireone said:

The airport I practice most of the time has a different Localiser frequency , given by Laminar than the one in Navigraph's database .

IMO If you update the X-Plane navigation database in ..\Custom Data\ with the information from Navigraph then the data provided by  Navigraph should take precedence to the Laminar default database. See also: https://developer.x-plane.com/article/navdata-in-x-plane-11/

Edited by robder

For localizer and glideslope navdata, xplane uses a "curated layer" which overrides the global data and custom data like navigraph. That way they want to make sure there's no mismatching between third party navdata and their default scenery. 

So if you find xplane localizer data to be wrong you have to report it via the gateway so that it gets fixed with one of the next releases. 

I filed the discrepancy some time ago in the airport/navaid /scenery gateway but it takes a while to appear in an XP release.

In the meantime I check the Map window to confirm the frequency Laminar is using for that particular ILS 

Laminar ILS take precedence  . RobW is correct ,there is a curated layer . In days past when this layer did not exist , external databases making changes to ILS data  sometimes meant the ILS  would guide an aeroplane away from the  runway centre line .