VNAV and ACTIVE VNV WAYPOINT

Philip Harris

I'm not sure if this is really a question for Laminar, but I hope someone can help.

I've been trying out the RNAV 21 approach into KSMO but I can't see how you get the IF (DARTS) into the ACTIVE VNV WAYPOINT field? 

I've had this working for enroute stuff like STARS with step downs etc, but I must be missing something on the approach.

Also, when flying the approach with vertical guidance in GS mode, it the altitudes are all in white for the approach and the CURRENT VNV profile doesn't do anything (yet it does fly the approach properly).

I've read the forums, watched the videos, read Laminar's manual but I'm still stuck here.

Can anyone help? To test it set up a route

KSMO SLI (RNAV 21 via VECTORS) KSMO

1.png

2.png

VNAV is different in enroute and approach!
You have to activate approach/vectors to final before entering the approach. Inside the approach the altitudes are followed automatically when in VPATH. Before the FAF or sometimes earlier you can activate the APR on the AP.

YT video from Philpp Ringler (LR):
VNAV:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2chCP1XObek
Approaches:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNwoDDpy9Iw

Peter

Not sure this is entirely relevant, but on your PFD, I don't see any VPATH indication and VNV is not on in the autopilot.  To get into VNAV mode with the TBM 900, you need to press the VNV button on the autopilot and reduce your selected altitude below the FAF altitude constraint.  You may need to press VNV again to confirm.  The VPATH indication on the PFD confirms you are in that mode and a carat (or sideways "v") on the altitude indicator will show your current vertical deviation from the vertical path specified by the altitude constraints in your flight plan.