TBM 900 Sound

skipph

Hello HotStart, Purchased the 900 a week ago and have been flying the plane and following the updates and forums since. I saw an earlier post concerning the sound included with the 900 and the topic subject was audio samples for the 900. Was it actual sound or not. Being a sound kind of guy for the immersion factor of flight simming, I was interested in the question and answer given to the subject. X Aviation took a very defensive attitude towards the poster and defended the 900 sound tracks as being authentic.  Maybe they are authentic but I would question maybe the sampling procedure. I can say with total objectivity that I am not happy at all with the sounds that ship with the 900. It sounds like an egg beater on the exterior sounds and the interior sounds i cannot speak for. Something is way over done on the exterior sounds. Either the wind wave or some other sound file is dominating the prop  and engine sound. 

I have gone through all the wave files included with the 900, and the engine sounds are lacking in depth and timbre. Why are only the wave files in the plugin section operational and the wave files in the sound folder not activated? Is this  by design? Something is not quite right with this sound package and I hope you will take this as a constructive criticism and not just a rant. I have no experience with the fmod sound engine, having just come from FSX and  P3D working on that sound technology for years, but I am going to learn the ropes for Fmod. Going to go have a look and listen at a Steveo1Kenivo video and hear what I can hear. Thanks for reading,  Skip Ciman

The exterior sounds sound very good to me. I must agree, In my opinion there is room for improvement on the interior sounds. From watching videos on youtube of real world start ups in the TBM the interior sounds in the sim are lacking in some respects. But I wouldn't go as far as saying they are bad. They do the job.

I wouldn't really call my response to the topic you're discussing on another site as defensive in nature. It was more informative and clarifying, as well as confused by the statement by the poster that real sounds was a concern for him.

Yes, the sounds were recorded with professional sound equipment in a real TBM at multiple angles owned by one of our beta testers.

The sounds are directly tied to your X-Plane sound settings. You'll probably want to adjust that volume setting to get results you desire.

As a whole the tbm is not an insanely loud aircraft inside. That's a selling point to the product in the real world. Steveo is actually a friend of mine as well. I've discussed this numerous times with him in person.

Thats interesting to know Cameron, Thanks for your response. I never realized the sounds were tied to the volume sliders in the sim. I will definitely experiment with them. Like I say I was definitely not disappointed with the interior sounds and I've never been in a real TBM so I have nothing to compare them to.

Thank you for the reply to this topic. I have gone out to Youtube and pulled up Steveo1 knevo videos and unfortunately all of his posts do not include any exterior samples. However there are other videos that do provide startup  examples of the 900. What I have observed is there is a difference in your representation ,sound wise, of the feathered  idle which is represented in your sounds and then the flight idle  un feathered which never appears sonically. I have heard on some YouTube startups the prop sound coming in as it starts to dig into the air as the throttle is advanced in the power range. I do not hear that effect on your engine sounds.

I will admit that I had no idea that this plane had the start up sounds that are portrayed as I had thought was eggbeater in nature. But after hearing several real life examples of the engine startup  procedure, they are spot on. But what I think is missing is the prop sound as the throttle is engaged into the unfeathered and power idle and then the takeoff position. This is where I have still have a beef with this addon . and I have gone through the on board sound sliders that have no affect on what is ailing me. Thanks for reading, Skip Ciman