CTD

strider

Last month I complained that the "something reinstalled our exception handler" CTD started happening for me again after installing IVAO.

Since then I've used another plane on IVAO with no problems, so I finally tried the TBM900 again.

After more than 10h with TBM on IVAO, no new CTD yet (hoping that having written this it will not happen tomorrow :-) ! )

The elusive "reinstalled our exception handler" remains elusive !

• 2 months later...

I had another 2019-10-19 12:23:04 TBM900[except.c:282]: Something reinstalled our exception handler, replaced it with 0000000000000000
I'm not even going to post log.txt (I and others have done it many times before, but it never helps).

I hadn't flown the TBM for a month or so. First time I again used it today, it CTDed after 20 minutes of flight.
I notice a pattern of getting this CTD after not using it for a while, and afterwards the problem goes away.

Until it comes back.

I had to renew my license yesterday (when flying another plane, another gripe I already posted about). Maybe it's related, who knows.

Really, Hot Start... please don't bother responding again with the "TBM is complicated/advanced" and "we exploit the bugs in other software" answers...
There are many other planes and mods around which don't have this CTD. Do you know another one which does crash with this exception handler message ?

The Zibo 737 for example, which is arguably more complex, never CTDs with this error. And it uses lots and lots of other addons and works well with them.
Something in the way you implemented the TBM is causing it to be unstable.

It's been many many months now. Please re-implement that bad code, or fix it.

Really sorry about my tone. Nothing personal Hot Start guys !! But I'm kind of mad about this lingering problem.

I'll respond with this.  (Please read the whole thread.  Your fix is in there...assuming you have LiveTraffic installed.)

Like I said, it's not the TBM causing the exception handler crash.  In all the cases we've seen, it's a problem with LiveTraffic and the way the TBM TCAS is reading LiveTraffic AI.  We don't think this crash happens with default AI running because we've seen streamers have no problems when running default AI.

And if you think this problem doesn't frustrate us as well, then you would be wrong.

Hi Goran,

I'm afraid that doesn't help. I don't have (and never ever had) LiveTraffic.
I do use IVAO. IVAO is very widely used, has an enormous number of other users, who do not CTD with their planes. I don't CTD with other planes on IVAO either, only with the TBM.

See my earlier posts. After the CTD, I decided to insist a bit more in August and managed to fly 10h without a CTD. Then stopped flying the TBM for more than a month.
Kaboom, CTD on the very first new flight yesterday.

I can stop using IVAO (not really an acceptable option to me), or continue using it and risk wasting my time by crashing after hours of flight, or stop using the TBM.

But the problem to me is very clearly somewhere in the TBM and it's up to you guys to fix it.

(And I also had this CTD without IVAO.)

Edited by xpst
added (And I also had this CTD without IVAO.)

I cannot do anything more to help you without seeing a log file.  We have only seen this type of crash happen with some kind of AI traffic running, so yours would be a unique case.

I understand this does not happen with other add ons, but not all add ons are created equal.  

Regarding your last statement, that the problem is clearly with the TBM.  Even WE don't know that the problem lies with the TBM.  Another example of an isolated problem is the one with the Saab and XEnviro.  X-Plane was always crashing when these two were running.  We had people just like yourself complaining that it's the Saab.  After years of us telling everyone it is not the Saab's fault, Andrey at XEnviro finally looked into it and found it was indeed XEnviro causing the crash.  And ONLY when run with the Saab.  Weird, I know.  And we think it's how the weather radar interacts with XEnviro.  But this has since been fixed.  

Bottom line, when the log throws up a line that says "Something has reinstalled our exception handler..." without telling us what the something is, it's then down to a process of elimination.  With the exception of your case, we have narrowed it down to AI, and particularly, LiveTraffic.  If you don't have any traffic running at all, and STILL getting this error, I'm afraid its back to square 1.  THIS is why a log file helps.

Edited by Goran_M

Hey Goran,

I have sent you log.txt several times before for this, but apart from telling us to eliminate addons/plugins/AI, it doesn't allow you to fix the issue. Anyway, I'm trying to see if, again, the problem now goes away for a while if I continue to use the TBM and IVAO together, so my log.txt was overwritten.

>  We have only seen this type of crash happen with some kind of AI traffic running, so yours would be a unique case.
Not really. IVAO is an ATC network, so there's lots of traffic, not from AI, but from the other users. (For what it's worth, weather is injected too).

About that isolated XEnviro case : OK, but I could argue that a case like that does not prove that this particular CTD is not due to a bug in the TBM.

And I had the problem several times without IVAO.

This is a game to me, so I'm only virtually grumpy. In my opinion the V-FAA should ground the plane for exploding in air, it should be parked next to those 737-Maxes.
You didn't put MCAS code in your TBM, I hope ?

But, I sent you guys a few real $, so I'm a bit IRL-grumpy again :-)

Again, to make progress, what I would really like is some debug version to catch more information, extra tracing, or a dump. I'm doing Telecoms software support for ~30 years now and my customers would have escalated a critical case to my CEO months ago demanding this.

Don't take it personally Goran, you're doing your best, I appreciate your work, attitude, your great support, your quick responses, and I never said this isn't frustrating you too ! :-)

In the thread I referred you to, Rob points out that you can still have TCAS traffic, but you just cannot have visual aircraft in the virtual skies.  I don't know how IVAO works, but this can be set in LiveTraffic.  I imagine IVAO has something like this.

My point with XEnviro is that in a rare case, everything can point to the aircraft being at fault.  Jim and Ben Russell went through the Saab code and Gizmo code 2 or 3 times to see if it was something on our end, and nothing was found.  Andrey didn't believe it was XEnviro at all, because, like many others, he noticed the crash only happened with the Saab.  Until I finally convinced him to PLEASE take a look, and that I had a handful of people willing to spend some time debugging.  He reluctantly agreed, and within 15 minutes, he found the beginnings of the problem.  

Anyway, I digress.

In the world of an unregulated add on community, anything is possible.  Could it be a bug in the TBM?  Unlikely, but definitely possible.  We can't go and buy up all the payware add ons that are available, install them and start testing.  That would be unreasonable of anyone to ask.  All we can do is go through log files and try to find the problems.  Most of the time, it's a process of elimination, hence why we ask people to move plugins out of the X-Plane install.  Removing plugins and KEEPING them removed is, we understand, NOT the solution.  It's a way of helping us understand what the problem could be.  (Don't tempt Saso with MCAS.  He could code a better version of it in half the time)

Most of our support depends on that golden file called "log.txt".  The other part of our support depends on the customer performing a few tasks to help us in fixing the problem...if we can fix it.  Sometimes it's Windows (I've seen crashes disappear after people have done a simple "Scandisk") and sometimes it's the actual sim itself (Remember the Gizmo vs SASL problem plaguing SASL users?  That was fixed in 1 X-Plane update by Ben Supnik).  

The debugging isn't necessary.  We know something is causing the exception error, and we are 99% sure (I won't say 100% yet) that it's AI Traffic.  I've run the TBM without an exception handler CTD when using default AI traffic.  And this is what leads us to believe that it's something in the other Traffic add on code.  I've seen streamers fly the TBM with traffic on PilotEdge without issue.  Saso is still trying to figure out what is causing this, but when X-Plane throws up a message that says "Something has reinstalled our exception handler..." it's hard to know what to do with it.
We need to know what that something is before we can nail it, otherwise, we're just chasing a black cat in a dark room hoping to get lucky.

Edited by Goran_M