Saab 340A Release Info

Cameron

Hi, All,

Saab development has gone relatively well over the past few weeks. We have managed to get a lot of core code done with some very exciting features to mimic the real world AOM. This aircraft will definitely be a treat for all, and something that will enter into a more advanced era of aircraft development for X-Plane.

We had an internal deadline of Feb 28th to get the core side of code completed and prepared for shipment. While we are quite happy with the product and what it has to offer, we also feel the need to finish up some testing and last minute conversion of code. When this is completed, we will update here with a release schedule.

Our current internal discussions have led to a firm date in March for release. I will hold off on announcing that date just for the moment while we assess the performance of code and testing.

Almost there, so brush up on those navigation skills! ;)

Thanks for the patience, gentlemen.  It is definitely appreciated.

We are working very hard on this thing and trying to get it out as quickly as possible. 

I think I've had about enough coffee, eggs and instant noodles as my body can stand. 

It's just these last little things that need sorting out. 

Thanks for the patience, gentlemen.  It is definitely appreciated.

We are working very hard on this thing and trying to get it out as quickly as possible. 

I think I've had about enough coffee, eggs and instant noodles as my body can stand. 

It's just these last little things that need sorting out. 

Hehe, With that 'food' combo, I bet your wife can't stand it either! :-)

Hi, all,

I have just completed coding some core autopilot functionality that is unique to the Saab. We are working very hard to make majority of this aircraft "study" worthy, and as such most mimics the real world AOM for the Saab 340.

This has been a long time coming, but it's finally great to see the bits and pieces working as they should in sim. It's definitely cool to be able to cycle through the climb modes on climb out and see the aircraft do the proper thing as it would in real life!

We still stick by our internal deadline and maintain that we'll have this product out this month. Once we know we can meet our proposed in-month deadline we'll announce that finalized date for certain.

In the meantime:

United340.jpg

See you in the skies!  8)

• Upvote 1

Just out of curiosity, but could you give a glimpse of what was added to the model after its state of "near completeness" in the end of January?

Our goals and intentions changed in February. If we were going to do this, we wanted to do it right, and that includes systems modeling with custom autopilot functionality and other "Easter Eggs."

When we're ready to announce we'll do just that.

Camerons been working on systems scripting for weeks now, I'm kinda sick of him asking me how to script quirky little things. :)

I only see the tip of the ice-berg through a keyhole though... but when they say study sim they're not joking.

This isn't just another bucket of generic systems and buttons with pretty wrapping paper.

Like Cameron said, we're really pushing the realism factor.  We (Theo, Cameron and myself) have had many, many discussions about what can and can't be modelled.  These discussions go back a couple of months.

Whenever there is a delay, it's usually because I found another cool feature to add and then having a meeting with Cameron about the possibility of adding it while I do the manual.  Some of these systems take a while.  For example, the anti ice system took about 2 weeks to code.  

If the manual is done any chance of an early release so we can study? :)

I've actually been thinking about putting the manual up prior to release.  It's still not done but it's getting there.  I've done about 100 pages so far with only a few more to go and then checking everything.  

I know I've been following this project for a few months and am beyond excited for it.  In fact, I've not only refrained from buying any other models for the sole purpose of buying this one, but also gotten ahold of rudder pedals, a yoke, and throttles for my computer to give myself a more realistic flight experience.  I'm currently attending the FlightSafety Academy for professional pilots (we have a Saab 2000 sim here), so this is going to be superb for my multi-engine and complex systems training!

POH is done.

Checklists are done.

Textures and mesh are done.  

Night lighting is done.  

All animations (with the exception of some custom autopilot datarefs) are done.

Manipulators are done.

Coding still being worked on, custom Autopilot stuff.  

VERY close.

Definitely the home stretch, and a good thing too, I spent $2.33 million in FSE buying a SAAB 340 in anticipation of this release, and I can't wait to put some hours on her.