Saab 340A Release Info

Cameron

Goran_M,

Hey Bud you don't have to explain to anyone why this or why that, I feel your pain. I'm self-employeed and all anyone cares about is the final product, not what's involved with it.

I don't blame you for getting upset, I know I would too with that type of remark.

When it's done it's done, and you have been showing your progress all along, and I for one thank you & Theo & Cameron for it.

Also, you get what you pay for... and the best stuff isn't free!

Goran_M,

Hey Bud you don't have to explain to anyone why this or why that, I feel your pain. I'm self-employeed and all anyone cares about is the final product, not what's involved with it.

I don't blame you for getting upset, I know I would too with that type of remark.

When it's done it's done, and you have been showing your progress all along, and I for one thank you & Theo & Cameron for it.

Also, you get what you pay for... and the best stuff isn't free!

Agreed. NGC007 is acting like a whining impatient child...

Goran is working day and night on this project to bring us one hell of a plane that we can all enjoy to its fullest.

The sooner you'll understand that, the better.

And Goran, my friend, you don't have to justify yourself to people like NGC007. Apart from very few, we all know how much work you're putting into this plane, and how painstaking it is.

We're all eagerly waiting, it's just some of us have more patience than others  ;)

Keep up the good work  :D

Let's not turn this into a bashing thread.  

NGC, you're comments, although you are free to make them, do very little in the way of positive motivation.

If you want to see what goes into this kind of work, have a look at other projects.

MU-2...2 years

PMDG 744...4-5 years

PMDG MD-11...8 years

JRollon CRJ...3-4 years

JGregory Corvalis...over a year

XPJets 777...4 years and counting (I think even more than 4 years so far)

Trust me, it's getting there.  If it wasn't, my wife would kill me.  And no one asks "Is it finished yet?" more than she does.

Let's not turn this into a bashing thread.  

NGC, you're comments, although you are free to make them, do very little in the way of positive motivation.

If you want to see what goes into this kind of work, have a look at other projects.

MU-2...2 years

PMDG 744...4-5 years

PMDG MD-11...8 years

JRollon CRJ...3-4 years

JGregory Corvalis...over a year

XPJets 777...4 years and counting (I think even more than 4 years so far)

Trust me, it's getting there.  If it wasn't, my wife would kill me.  And no one asks "Is it finished yet?" more than she does.

JGregory Corvalis was actually .... over 2 years.... just sayin'.... :D

Anyone that says a developer has "given up" obviously doesn't have a clue what it takes to create an aircraft, sorry if that's harsh.

Jim

NGC, I know how professionally G takes his work, what you said is just ignorant and shows your impatience. Goran's long reply shows you how seriously he takes it.

Plus, why would they release it in the middle of the CRJ peak? Besides, I still haven't mastered the CRJ, give me time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I'm really looking forward to the Saab. I was a Captain on the Saab (and the Goose, 1900, and Beaver) for Pacific Coastal Airlines. Any chance you are looking for a BETA tester?

Cheers, Greg

I'll let you know if we need extra testers.  I currently have 2 Saab pilots (1 Captain and 1 FO) with over 3500 hours between them.  The code is still being done and when it's completed, I'll take it from there.

Hi Goran,

I'm a S340 pilot as the name suggests, and I cant wait to get my hands on the finished product. I currently fly the saab for around 600-700 hours a year and would kill for a working sim model for practice at home, particularly for rehearsing the latest up and coming instrument and assymetric simulator check sequence's.

I think there are many pilots with whom I work with who would buy x-plane and your model simply to have something to practise on upwards of 50 to 100 pilots.

I also studied engineering and so I have an appreciation for how much time is required in the design of any product.

Im wondering more than anything else how the flight model is progressing, as neither myself nor any other actual saab pilot would require the manuals to operate it!

Most in my position would be happy to purchase even a semi functioning model provided updates were to become available to those who had already purchased the model.

what do you think???

Also I'd be most happy to answer any questions or quieries about the saab systems or flight handling characteristics or generally anything I could do to help.

Cheers!!! ;):)

Hi Goran,

I'm a S340 pilot as the name suggests, and I cant wait to get my hands on the finished product. I currently fly the saab for around 600-700 hours a year and would kill for a working sim model for practice at home, particularly for rehearsing the latest up and coming instrument and assymetric simulator check sequence's.

I think there are many pilots with whom I work with who would buy x-plane and your model simply to have something to practise on upwards of 50 to 100 pilots.

I also studied engineering and so I have an appreciation for how much time is required in the design of any product.

Im wondering more than anything else how the flight model is progressing, as neither myself nor any other actual saab pilot would require the manuals to operate it!

Most in my position would be happy to purchase even a semi functioning model provided updates were to become available to those who had already purchased the model.

what do you think???

Also I'd be most happy to answer any questions or quieries about the saab systems or flight handling characteristics or generally anything I could do to help.

Cheers!!! ;):)

The flight model is done and has been ok'd by one of my testers (Saab Captain) so far.  He's quite impressed by it...so much so that after he gave it an initial test on my computer, he went and bought X-Plane for himself after flying in FS9 for the past 5 or so years.

The systems are still being worked on. Many are being re-written for further accuracy.  For example, The 3 different CLIMB modes are coded to fly with 100% accuracy according to the Saab documentation.  Anti Ice timers work on a timer system in the real thing and this model works in exactly the same way. 

There are still some refinements, clean up and even complete coding for a couple more systems, but we're looking at some serious realism.

X-Aviations policy has always been to release a fully functioning package with updates released only if things have been inadvertently missed and picked up AFTER initial release.  (Trust me, I have had many emails from people asking for a "flyable" version).

When final testing comes around, if I need another tester, I will definitely let you know.

I've found that the duel core technology (as in the CRJ) was an extremely was a really effective way to keep the realism, yet not bog the system down to an usable fps.

Will the Saab use the same or something similar?

You'll find that the Saab is heavily optimized and will perform very well (much better than even the CRJ, actually).

No need to even worry about it. ;)

Outstanding ... the CRJ has been amazing and I truly enjoy it.  Very much looking forward to flying the Saab as well.

Thanks for your hard work.  I hope that you feel like it's paid off for you.  If nothing else you bring great enjoyment to others!

Outstanding ... the CRJ has been amazing and I truly enjoy it.  Very much looking forward to flying the Saab as well.

Thanks for your hard work.  I hope that you feel like it's paid off for you.  If nothing else you bring great enjoyment to others!

It's been a funky adventure, to say the least.

Thanks for the comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Goran

Any chance of a new target release date/month ???

Im just trying to determine if I should buy a 2nd LCD Monitor to run the FS2004 Saab till your model is completed, of if I should hold off and buy a big 42" LED/LCD HDTV for your X-Plane Model.

The FS2004 model is crap because you cant set up hot keys for the autopilot MSP buttons or for the VS wheel and so 2 screens are required; one with the cockpit the other with the Overhead, Center Console and MSP Panels.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Hi Goran

Im just trying to determine if I should buy a 2nd LCD Monitor to run the FS2004 Saab till your model is completed, of if I should hold off and buy a big 42" LED/LCD HDTV for your X-Plane Model.

The FS2004 model is crap because you cant set up hot keys for the autopilot MSP buttons or for the VS wheel and so 2 screens are required; one with the cockpit the other with the Overhead, Center Console and MSP Panels.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Still very hard to say when it will be finished.  Cameron (who is doing the programming for it) is going to Oshkosh next week and he has been preparing to go for the last couple of weeks so the Saab was on hold.  It will obviously remain on hold until after he gets back.  Then he's getting back into it.  I've had discussions with him about the project and what is going into it and it will be much more than planned.  The autopilot has gotten a complete rewrite and a lot more systems have been done or are going to be done to the point where it's study level.

As I said, it's VERY hard to give an accurate date for release, but I will say (including a safety margin) sometime WITHIN the next 3-5 months.  That includes full testing, adjustments, fixes, etc...anything to give us a reason NOT to make any fixes after it's finished.  Obviously, there may be things that we will miss, but we want to ensure that what we initially might miss is kept at an absolute minimum.

In other words, an as fully functioning, bug free, fully coded package as we can possibly make.

We'd rather make people wait for a fully functioning, bug free product and put a smile on their face rather than push out an over-glorified turboprop with over-glorified generics, riddled with bugs and have people complain.

Hi Goran

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Still very hard to say when it will be finished.  Cameron (who is doing the programming for it) is going to Oshkosh next week and he has been preparing to go for the last couple of weeks so the Saab was on hold.  It will obviously remain on hold until after he gets back.  Then he's getting back into it.  I've had discussions with him about the project and what is going into it and it will be much more than planned.  The autopilot has gotten a complete rewrite and a lot more systems have been done or are going to be done to the point where it's study level.

As I said, it's VERY hard to give an accurate date for release, but I will say (including a safety margin) sometime WITHIN the next 3-5 months.  That includes full testing, adjustments, fixes, etc...anything to give us a reason NOT to make any fixes after it's finished.  Obviously, there may be things that we will miss, but we want to ensure that what we initially might miss is kept at an absolute minimum.

In other words, an as fully functioning, bug free, fully coded package as we can possibly make.

We'd rather make people wait for a fully functioning, bug free product and put a smile on their face rather than push out an over-glorified turboprop with over-glorified generics, riddled with bugs and have people complain.

Goran, people will forget the wait, no matter how long it is, once they are enjoying the aircraft. But they won't forget a problematic simulation that has been released prematurely.  Take all the time you need to get it as accurate as you can and to get it right.  It will be a lot of fun to fly when it is ready.

• 1 month later...

Hi Goran, I know you're a busy man with the 747 lately but any new info on the Saab 340? :D

Anything new? A big fat YES! Any new info I can share with you? Not quite yet. Well, nothing I haven't already posted.

We don't really want to post anything until we are 100% certain of it.

When the time comes, Cameron will make an official post. But I will say, start reading up on Saab operations.

;)