Rudder sensitivity

danhenri

It's very difficult for me to control the TBM on runway during the T/O, when torque exceeds 50/60. The rudder control seems to be too much sensitive for my pedals (CH Product), even if I move them very smoothly. I have tested all kind of settings in x-plane menu (control sensitivity), but none of them is very convincing. 

I would be nice if some people here, with the same hardware, could give me some advice.

Thank you !

Edited by danhenri
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joers182 said:

One thing that helps is to put in full power very smoothly, makes it much more controllable. Thats my findings anyway. I had difficulty at first.

You are right, but passing torque 80, it remains very difficult to keep the axis of the runway. For me now, the trick is not to raise the torque up to 100, but to stay at 80-85, waiting 90 kts to take off.

Edited by danhenri

Had same issue. I now adjust rudder trim as specified between the center mark and the green bar. I have also adjusted my control sensitivity for rudder in X-Plane to 90%. It’s not perfect but has helped quite a bit. I wasn’t taking off sideways from the grass and managed to keep in pretty much on center with just under 100% Tq. 

Aaron

15 minutes ago, adl320 said:

Had same issue. I now adjust rudder trim as specified between the center mark and the green bar. I have also adjusted my control sensitivity for rudder in X-Plane to 90%. It’s not perfect but has helped quite a bit. I wasn’t taking off sideways from the grass and managed to keep in pretty much on center with just under 100% Tq. 

Aaron

Yes this is legit approach if you are below MTOW. I mostly fly fully loaded so I set rudder trim is at green mark

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2018 at 10:45 PM, adl320 said:

Aaron

Hi. I've looked around but I can't find the rudder trim. Were can I find the rudder trim? Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, Aloneintheskies said:

Hi. I've looked around but I can't find the rudder trim. Were can I find the rudder trim? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

From memory I believe the default rudder trim keys are 9 and 0 or if you prefer 1 and 3 on the numeric keypad.  The indicator itself is above the flaps indicator on the MFD.  Trim for the green marks and slowly advance the throttle. 

Regards BT

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, boredtechie said:

Hi,

From memory I believe the default rudder trim keys are 9 and 0 or if you prefer 1 and 3 on the numeric keypad.  The indicator itself is above the flaps indicator on the MFD.  Trim for the green marks and slowly advance the throttle. 

Regards BT

Got it, I know were the indicator is and the shortcuts but I was wondering were the rudder trim knob is in the plane it self.

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, boredtechie said:

You beat me to it but in case anyone else is interested http://www.tbm.aero/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PIM_TBM900__E1.pdf 7.4.6

Thanks, there's some handy stuff in there. I'll definitely take a look at that.

13 minutes ago, RobW05 said:

Electric elevator and rudder trim is on the left side of they yoke. 

Thanks, searched the whole aircraft, found things like cup holders and armrests but no elevator trim, totally forgot to look at the yoke. Stupid.. Thanks for pointing it out