VR Capability V1.0.7 Floating Reflections in Cockpit

willmike

I’m having the same issue. Any updates on this? Is not happening right away for me. If I just sit on a cold and dark and wait a few minutes, the anomaly starts. Is happening with Flyinside version 1.96, and it looks like is only happening on the right lense. I’m running the Oculus Rift, with the RTX 2080Ti, i7 7700k, and latest drivers. Is only happening with the HotStart TBM-900. All other airplanes appear normal. 

Ray Lemus

I am also seeing these artifacts and only in the right eyepiece. Here is what I am experiencing. The heat bloom from both stacks seem to flow through the cockpit when the engine is running, distorting a portion of the pilots PFD and the “reflection’” effect appears mostly when looking out through the windows. It you change the view to outside the cockpit while in flight the reflection artifacts are not visable. They seem to be some kind of window magnification distortions. They also usually start after a couple of minutes of flight while climbing out and they seem to also go away when on approach near pattern altitude. These issues are only happening when using Flyinside with the Hotstart TBM but as others have noted no other aircraft are having this issue with FI.  I am using  Flyinside 1.96, Oculus Rift, GTX 1070, i7 4700. I posted this on another thread here with my log file for anyone who wants to take a look. 

Cool man, thanks for the response. Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m getting as well with ONLY the TBM.  I thought updating to 11.30 might’ve fixed it, but I was wrong in assuming that! Now, I’m completely out. Flyinside 1.96 does not work with X Plane 11.30b1 for me. Hopefully they’ll update it soon. I also removed all the plugins and native VR performance improved dramatically, but not as well as with FI, and the biggest problem I had with that, was that I couldn’t access the menus while in VR. Thanks.

Ray Lemus

Hey Ray thanks for the heads up on the new X-plane Beta not working with FI. I’ve been bitten by the Beta bug a couple of times and had to wait for the guys at Flyinside to update for compatibility before updating X-plane. I’ve also had to un-check the “Download Betas” box on my X-plane updater page a few times and manually re-update back down to the latest pre-beta version of X-plane that worked with FI. I too still prefer FI over Native VR for the ability to access the menu in VR with FI but I also like the ability to re-size the “ world” so the cockpit of the Carenado  PC-12 and a few other of my favorite airplanes look more real-life accurate. It’s also nice to be able to edit the FI preferences/ini  file to increase the image resolution a bit to help improve what you see in the Oculus headset. It might just be me but I am using a lot of OrthoXP scenery and to my eyes the scenery image looks better and the cockpit detail seems a little easier to read when using FI. Unfortunately I have found that there are some product that just will not play well together. I and a few others have found that using the  Aerobask 550NG with FI will cause an X-plane CTD a few seconds after loading every time. The 550NG seems to work fine in Native VR. I have several other Aerobask planes and they all work fine with FI. Aerobask support couldn’t figure it out and I don’t think FI was able to explain it either. I just updated FI to 1.96 so I suppose I should check to see if that issue was fixed.  Now that Flyinside has released their own flight simulator I will be curious to see how much time and attention they devote to keeping the  FI “plug-in” updated so that it continues to work with X-plane and the other flight sims as they improve. In the meantime I sure hope the folks at Hotstart will take a look to to see if the issues we FI users are seeing in the TBM are something that they can address. If it’s not then we will just have to hope it is something that gets fixed in the next FI update. 

‘Regards,

Nathan 

Okay. I just posted this morning in the FI support site. According to Tony’s response, they’ll be taking a look at it. Who knows how long that’s gonna take. I also started to remove one plugin at a time this morning, and discovered that when removing a folder named “SilverLining”, VR performance was smooth in the airplane. However, after I started it and taxied around, it turned into a stutter fest and I had to back out. The visual issues I was having was with 11.26. VR performance was really good with that version though, especially with the Carenado PC-12. That thing looks great in VR! Smooth frame rates too in VR. I’ll keep an eye out for a solution man. If I find out anything, I’ll post here as soon as I get it. Thanks again for the info.

Ray Lemus

Thanks Ray, I am curious if you have the new Carenado Citation 550 II that was released last week and if so, are you having any issues with it using FI? I got it and it is probably the first.plane I have ever bought from them that had a squawk for me right out of the box. Actually two squawks but I think they are related. I put in a support ticket to Carenado and they responded the next day saying they couldn’t replicate the problem. They went on to say that they thought it was probably a FI related problem and that they could only provide support for Native X-plane VR issues. I totally understand them taking the position of not committing to supporting every possible issue that might be caused by a 3rd party plug in but I am curious to know if it is a widespread problem with FI users or something else. So far no one else seems to be having the problems. The first problem is that both sets of primary Flight displays and all radios remain cold and dark while the rest of the cockpit looks and works as it should using Flyinside VR. You can click on the PFD and the functioning  pop-up window of that instrument will display on the desktop monitor ( outside of the VR headset) as it should while the In-cockpit VR PFD display stays dark. What’s really strange about it is that I am also using the RealityXP GTN 750 touchscreen GPS plug-in ( because it is by far the easiest gps/nav unit to program and operate with the VR headset on that I have found ). The GTN works perfectly in the Citation 550 while using Flyinside VR but the primary flight displays stays black. So... problem #2: is when I switch over to fly the 550 using X-plane Native VR, the PFD’s work great but now the Garmin GTN display in the cockpit will not respond to mouse cursor inputs. You can see the image of the GTN display  in the panel but it almost looks “grayed out”, like it has that thin plastic protective film over it that you would peel off of a new TV screen before you watch it. You CAN run the GTN as a floating window in the VR cockpit and do flight plans etc on the floating dock, but the whole purpose of the Carenado “ RealityXP GTN ready” design is to be able to use the device as a panel mounted device while in VR. I probably ought to head over the the RealityXP forum and see if they are aware of it. Oh well... the Citation 550 II looks fabulous and is a lot of fun to fly if you are looking for a fun challenge.   I hope they get the kinks worked out on it and the TBM soon!

Nathan

Hey Nathan,

Yeah man, that looks like a RealityXP isuse man! I was looking into purchasing that airplane this week, but with now the update taking me out of action, I decided to wait. Additionally, it is the first Carenado module with the label “Fully VR Compatible”.  How’s  your performance in native VR? I can’t get to flyable that way either. It’ll be smooth until I start taxing around. It may be drivers related due to the a very new video card, I guess. I’m kicking myself for updating! Oh, well. 

Ray

Oh, I thought it was the Visual Effects tab on the Graphics menu. I didn’t try that. Confidence is low that’s going to help though. I’m having the stuttering with every airplane. Can’t figure it out. If I go out of HDR, (meaning I turn down the Visual Effects within the Graphics menu), I’ll see weird shadow effects, and the mouse cursor will turn really big on me. Looks like I’ll have to wait for an update to either drivers or Flyinside. I did notice however, I’m seeing a lot of tearing while using the monitor as well. I’m running 4K resolution. I’ll play with it more later. Looks like for now is back to the Track Ir. Thanks guys.

Ray

Ok, so I disabled the “heat effect’, “ice and Rain” and the ‘“Reflections” visual effects from the Hot Start TBM 900 tab on the drop down X-Plane Plug-Ins menu and all of the visual artifacts that were appearing in the right eyepiece are no longer there! I believe I think I might have also noticed a 5 frame/sec increase in performance! It would be nice to be able to add these effects back in without the artifacts at some point but for now I am just so happy to be able to enjoy this outstanding airplane without the annoying distractions I’ll take what I can get! In my opinion this airplane is already a new benchmark for X-plane and will only get better as they continue to sort out the squawks. 

No problem glad it worked..yes it would be nice as some planes you can have affects on but some you cant just like the FFA320 it creates a weird affect. You can try and add one back at a time and see which one or if its all of them that are affecting V.R but for me the greatest affect is the immersion and the texture work in this cockpit is some of the best i have seen.

10 hours ago, Raylemus said:

Oh, I thought it was the Visual Effects tab on the Graphics menu. I didn’t try that. Confidence is low that’s going to help though. I’m having the stuttering with every airplane. Can’t figure it out. If I go out of HDR, (meaning I turn down the Visual Effects within the Graphics menu), I’ll see weird shadow effects, and the mouse cursor will turn really big on me. Looks like I’ll have to wait for an update to either drivers or Flyinside. I did notice however, I’m seeing a lot of tearing while using the monitor as well. I’m running 4K resolution. I’ll play with it more later. Looks like for now is back to the Track Ir. Thanks guys.

Ray

Hey mate dont be despondent just give it a crack and as for stuttering make sure that A.S.W is disabled in F.I settings and Oculus settings if you have VIve i think its called rear projection or something as this will cause stuttering in V.R. If this dosent solve the stuttering P.M me and we can go through a few ideas.. can i ask why you guys are not using naitive XP11 V.R  I have F.I since release but i mainly use native .

Hey Val,

Thanks for the help man first of all. I appreciate it. Well, things are going about as well as a fart in a space suit for me! :-)!  I completely removed my install and reinstalled it yesterday. Now, I can’t use FI as I’m getting a fatal error. Here’s the link to the post: 

https://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=7191

I’ve always used FI because it has offered better smoothness than native VR. Even with a fresh and clean X Plane 11 install, I’m getting the stutters with the 172. I can’t fly it like that. I’m running the Oculus Tray Tool as well with ASW in Auto I think. I’ll have to check. Let me disable that and I’ll let you know. BTW: let me know if you need any pointers on how to fly the 320.  

Ray

Hey Ray, did you try to revert back to the last X-plane 11.2x release prior to the 11.3 beta? Val, I prefer FI over Native for the ability to resize the cockpits so they seem more life -size. The Carenado PC12 and a couple of others seem  just a bit small and the IXEG 737 seems a bit large to me without the minor adjustments. I also like the ability to render the X-plane resolution at 4K by editing the FI preferences or ini file. I believe  the Oculus displays native resolution is closer 720 but what I am seeing in the headset using FI just seems sharper to me than with Native X-plane. I’ve tried Native VR off and on and to me the Native  image just does not look as “solid” to me. I know these are very subjective reasons and it could just be my natural bias of preferring what I have become acoustomed to. I believe I read a post where someone was saying that you had to completely uninstall Flyinside as opposed to just removing it from the plugins folder before Native would look and perform as it should. Perhaps I should give this s try to be fair. I would certainly prefer to use Native if there was a way to adjust the image resolution rendering and the “world” scale.  

Hey Nat. No man, I reverted after installing 11.30b1. I did get to play with it some more this morning and tried Val’s recommendations. I turned off ASW in the Oculus Tray Tool, tuned off antialiasing, reflection details, and two out of four visuals within the TBM visual effects menu. It did get the TBM flyable but I’m still having the issues of stuttering, especially during taxi. I don’t know, maybe my standards are too high for X Plane VR. I fly DCS World 2.5, and Aerofly FS2. Those two in VR are absolutely amazing! For now looks like X Plane 11 and P3D V4, are best with the Track IR for me.  I’ll keep at it when I get back home though. Thanks again for your help guys. 

Ray

Good morning Ray

With the TBM i would suggest turning off all 4 of those effects settings and see what happens. Also with the stuttering try lowering your Super sampling like start at 1.0 if that helps and work your way up. If you using F.I try a full uninstall meaning get rid of all configuration files in App data ext and a fresh re install. Somewhere you have a setting that is giving you grief and its a process of elimination.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well, played with this a little last night, and I’m just gonna stick with the Track IR guys. Collectively, I’ve spent more than five hours trying to get this to work! Guys, that’s more than my threshold of 30 minutes! I’m getting no help in the Flyinside forum, the post has been there for more than five days now, and have received no response. I’ve uninstalled BOTH versions (P3D and X Plane) of Flyinside, have deleted ALL FI directories, and associated files. I’ve reinstalled and I’m still getting the error when I start FI. What’s weird is that I get a Steam VR pop up that’s indicating the headset is not ready, even though it works fine. Maybe this is Steam VR related. I’m still getting the stutters as well even though my frame rates are in the 60s! I’ll continue to look into it, and post here if and when I find a solution. Thanks guys!

Ray