Ground Handling Issues

Greaser

35 minutes ago, johnc said:

I love everything about this aircraft but the achilles heal for me right now is the Ground Handling. Not sure if it's only me or not(?) but I'm just finding it impossible to takeoff and land in a straight line. If you have any tips/suggestions please let me know. 

I also had the same problem, I set the yaw less sensitive, and try to give smaller inputs.

I did some more hand flying and I think work needs to be done on the flight model.  It is very easy to make the nose pitch up and down quickly during flight. It's not possible to do so like this in a real plane due to the physics and momentum. Even a small one. Hope there will be a fix coming in a future patch.
Also, the Ground handling seems to have been tweaked some in 1.0.4 (I think) which is better, but it still feels very slippery on the runway. Almost feels like an ice runway at times (little friction).
In the meantime how do you make the Yaw less sensitive?
Also... how do you reset it to cold and dark with all systems normal?

Thanks.

Hi, what a wonderful plane! But I need to agree with above regarding ground handling; it is very difficult to roll straight during takeoff and landing... I know it is mainly an Xplane problem ( I do not know what is bugging the most in XP, the weather engine or the ground physics;)).

I just want to point out that IXEG 737 has a really good feeling while taxying for a liner that combine nosewheel steering and rudder on the same axis. FF A320 was very twitchy at the beginning but after separating rudder axis from nosewheel steering axis, like the real aircraft, the rudder then control the nosewheel steering only for a few degrees left/right and the aircraft is very easy to control during takeoff and landing roll.

Hope you may find the sweet spot for rudder control on the ground.

Bedt regards,

Pierre

Of course I read the manual :) I am a manual geek, so I read it even before firing up the TBM. Rudder trim is always correctly set.

It is rather a matter of feeling with the rudder. It is too much prompt to PIO. Real GA airplanes are quite easy to handle in fact. I guess te bigger the plane the easier (not including classic gear aircrafts;))

Pierre

Looks like it is XP issue. I have it with all planes. Unfortunately could not try it with the TBM since my brakes are permanently engaged. Erasing the yoke preferences as suggested in another thread did not help at all (1.03). No idea what to do. Did not come to taxi or flight since beginning. Engine start goes pretty well already :lol:.

What would be of interest. @skiselkov (Totoritko) mentioned in one of his streams, when doing crosswind operation at SCIP, he changed the ground handling behaviour in his TBM. Is there something else to check or load?

Thanks Peter

3 hours ago, gmargodt said:

I hope it's not a stupid question but how do you set the rudder trim?

There is a tilt-button on the yoke, which you can shift left and right by clicking the right spot with the mouse pointer. Or you can use the keyboard, the default keys are 5,6,7 for left, center, and right (check your keyboard assignments when in doubt).

A couple of things I noticed on my last couple of flights

- If you load more weight in the plane, it's a bit easier to deal with on the ground
- Make sure the rudder trim is set to the green mark as others have mentioned
- Increase the TRQ to about 40% with your feet on the brakes, release the brakes with forward pressure on the yoke, let the plane accelerate a little bit, then move the throttle forward slowly. Doing this allows you to make small adjustments with the rudder and keep up with the change in power rather than it coming all of a sudden.
- Maintain some forward pressure on the yoke during the entire takeoff roll. Plane seems easier to control for me with a small amount of forward pressure (most likely not a real world procedure but it works to counter the effect in the sim for me)
- Lastly is rotate slowly at Vr speed. If you pull back the yoke too hard, the left wing will drop pretty significantly. If you rotate smoothly, let it gain some speed with a very shallow climb at first, it won't have that left roll tendency.

I have MFG Crosswind rudder pedals which are very sensitive but also very precise. More than likely there's a big difference in what the handling feels like when you use different hardware setups.

• Like 1

I had a test of this last night with my crusty old Saitek rudder pedals. Takeoff is perfectly controllable, it just takes practice. Key points to keep in mind:

1. Bring the power in smoothly. Don't just jam it forward.
  2. Keep the inputs small. All it takes is a bit of light pressure. No need to go stomping on the rudder.
  3. Predict, don't react. When you've applied a correction and you see it taking effect, neutralize your inputs BEFORE you reach where you want the nose to be. The aircraft has yawing momentum, so if you wait until you are through the centerline again, you will zig-zag around on the runway.
  4. Be quick about your inputs. Quick but small inputs are better than slow and large ones.
  • Like 3

On 10/24/2018 at 10:32 PM, gregul said:

There is a tilt-button on the yoke, which you can shift left and right by clicking the right spot with the mouse pointer. Or you can use the keyboard, the default keys are 5,6,7 for left, center, and right (check your keyboard assignments when in doubt).

Thank you Sir :)   I managed to bind some keys on my joystick for the rudder trimming.   It's called Yaw left and Yaw right in the joystick/keyboard settings of X-Plane.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:12 AM, skiselkov said:

I had a test of this last night with my crusty old Saitek rudder pedals. Takeoff is perfectly controllable, it just takes practice. Key points to keep in mind:

1. Bring the power in smoothly. Don't just jam it forward.
  2. Keep the inputs small. All it takes is a bit of light pressure. No need to go stomping on the rudder.
  3. Predict, don't react. When you've applied a correction and you see it taking effect, neutralize your inputs BEFORE you reach where you want the nose to be. The aircraft has yawing momentum, so if you wait until you are through the centerline again, you will zig-zag around on the runway.
  4. Be quick about your inputs. Quick but small inputs are better than slow and large ones.

Thanks for the suggestions and for making Better Pushback and now the TBM 900.

These points will help mitigate things but even with small inputs it's very tough almost like there is no friction. I know last year Zibo Mod 738 was impossible to steer on takeoff and touchdown, but they found a solution or workaround and now it's very good.