Prop Governor failure when COLD AND DARK

ricktana

I'm mapping my  Saitek Throttle Quadrant to the airplane with the airplane COLD AND DARK.  The  Reverse Detent switch on the Saitek controller is programmed to "Thrust Reverse Toggle" per the instructions in the Quick Start Guide. When I move the throttle to the Flight Idle gate position and then toggle the fight idle lockout, the throttle will move back slightly into the "TAXI" range and then it becomes unmoveable.  It cannot be moved with the Saitek controller or the mouse.  I also get a message: "When the engine is shut down, position the throttle to CUTOFF to prevent inadvertently flooding the engine with fuel."

If you go into the Maintenance Manager, it says that the Prop Governor is broken.  Once I replace the governor, the throttle returns back to normal.  I've already spent $232,000 on four prop governors trying to figure out what was causing the problem and I haven't even flown yet.  Again, this is while the aircraft is COLD AND DARK.

Rick S.

On 10/20/2018 at 6:47 PM, ricktana said:

I'm mapping my  Saitek Throttle Quadrant to the airplane with the airplane COLD AND DARK.  The  Reverse Detent switch on the Saitek controller is programmed to "Thrust Reverse Toggle" per the instructions in the Quick Start Guide. When I move the throttle to the Flight Idle gate position and then toggle the fight idle lockout, the throttle will move back slightly into the "TAXI" range and then it becomes unmoveable.  It cannot be moved with the Saitek controller or the mouse.  I also get a message: "When the engine is shut down, position the throttle to CUTOFF to prevent inadvertently flooding the engine with fuel."

If you go into the Maintenance Manager, it says that the Prop Governor is broken.  Once I replace the governor, the throttle returns back to normal.  I've already spent $232,000 on four prop governors trying to figure out what was causing the problem and I haven't even flown yet.  Again, this is while the aircraft is COLD AND DARK.

Rick S.

Hi, 

had the same problem, when my aircraft was in cold and dark state, I was playing with the throttle controls, first I could  not get it into taxi and reverse mode.

When I did get it into taxi / reverse mode it was stuck in reverse and could not get it back to normal, later I saw I broke something in the engine for just moving the throttle into reverse.

A part from the manual (sry for the caps) :

CAUTION DO NOT MOVE THE COCKPIT THROTTLE INTO THE PROPELLER REVERSE POSITION OR DAMAGE TO THE LINKAGE WILL RESULT. REVERSE MAY ONLY BE SELECTED WITH ENGINE RUNNING AND PROPELLER TURNING

But when setting up my controls and testing I also had the problem. 

Ok you have to press the lockout before you can move it into taxi and reverse, but funny this can be done so easily.

Imagine you leave your child 2 minutes in the cockpit while you put some bags away... :rolleyes:

Edited by Fabbi

Fabbi,

Thanks for your reply.  I later noticed that Caution as well.  If you look at the Pilots Operating Manual,  Page 7.6.5, it further states that a control cable could be damaged. It does not say, however, that lifting the throttle gate while the throttle is in the Flight Idle position will destroy your Prop Governor.  Because, if that is all you do with the engine shut down, the prop governor will fail and the power lever will go to full reverse by itself and stay there until you replace the governor.   I'm not sure if this is a bug or the dev's way of simulating the warning below.  It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have a warning of some sort about it put in the Quick Start Guide.

Rick S.

CAUTION

DO NOT MOVE THE COCKPIT THROTTLE INTO THE PROPELLER REVERSE POSITION
OR DAMAGE TO THE LINKAGE WILL RESULT.
REVERSE MAY ONLY BE SELECTED WITH ENGINE RUNNING AND PROPELLER
TURNING
When engine is shutdown, there is no oil pressure in the propeller and the feathering spring locks the Beta
ring and the propeller reversing interconnect linkage on the engine.
All rearward effort on the throttle, past the idle stop, may damage or break the flexible control cable.