Newbie looking for help

Jean tardiff

I am new to this plane and the big planes in general . Have been watching lots of YouTube videos and my landings are not smooth to put it mildly , usually a big bump . When i disengage the autopilot on final and try to flare I seem to lift nose to much and start to take off .

the other question is on departure ; on most departures I usevthe SID and engage vnav and lnav at about 1500 ft.trying to leave KJFK runway 13R - using the Kennedy 5 I delete the vectors as not using atc and usually head right to wavey, but every time it won’t allow mat to use vnav and engages the speed button . I have also tried takeoff no Sid ; right to wavey and again it won’t allow me to engage vnav . I see nothing in the legs to prevent this . I see on the actual charts it say takeoff radar to 159 waverly at 5000 ft aboutb10 min

Hi Jean,

for the landings - practice, practice, practice ;).

For your SID departure I would have to see a video of what is happening  to really be able to help. It should work the way you describe, but there are a few pitfalls that may prevent VNAV engagement (including failure to fill out the PERF INIT page, etc...)

Cheers, Jan

Thanks Litjan, the landings are just frustrating , you fly for an hour or two then bounce on the runway . I think it’s the depth perception . 

Yes the take off from JFK is weird as any other airport dtw Mia sfo or lax never a problem with Sid or vnav on take off . Just like taking off over water or landing coming in from water 

What I do sometimes, is fly the visual pattern. Then you get a lot of good training taking off, turning, maintaining altitude and speed, and of course, landing. Do touch and go.

Use the autopilot if you need to, but note the N1, V/S (if climbing/descending), and so on. Do a lot of speed changes, climbs/descents. turns at different angles, and you will quickly get a good 'feel' of the plane.

As for landings, experiment. Try flaring slowly at 50 ft, and go idle at 20 ft. Then flare later and later. Sometimes it helps looking down at the end of the runway to see how much you are pitching. Touch down, flaps 15, take off, and repeat.
But don't focus too much on making the smoothest landing possible, but rather touching down within the touchdown zone.

Good luck!

Also note that in the current (11.26) version of X-Plane you need to pull A LOT to avoid the nose dropping when you get very close to the ground. Watch your pitch very closely and be ready to pull ca. 75% of your yoke travel when about to touch down. This is more than in the real plane but a by-product of some new aerodynamic code we got in one of the recent updates.

I have been working with Austin on this and he said that he tweaked the code again for 11.30. So we are waiting for that - along with some other aerodynamic changes 11.30 brings.

I will revisit the 737´s flightmodel once 11.30 is out and - if warranted - incorporate some tweaks in an update.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Litjan said:

Also note that in the current (11.26) version of X-Plane you need to pull A LOT to avoid the nose dropping when you get very close to the ground. Watch your pitch very closely and be ready to pull ca. 75% of your yoke travel when about to touch down. This is more than in the real plane but a by-product of some new aerodynamic code we got in one of the recent updates.

I have been working with Austin on this and he said that he tweaked the code again for 11.30. So we are waiting for that - along with some other aerodynamic changes 11.30 brings.

I will revisit the 737´s flightmodel once 11.30 is out and - if warranted - incorporate some tweaks in an update.

Cheers, Jan

An update just for the flight dynamics or will it also include some system updates too?

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 7:34 AM, Litjan said:

Cheers, Jan

i was wondering wy i need lots of back pressure whe flaring, always thought it was too much

Hello Jan,

seems like the right moment for a quick question about the flight model.:lol:

I use the  X-plane Beta (11.30B3) at this time and i can´t land dat thing without floating. If i don´t float, i smash it on tho the Runway. So it´s either float or smash.:wacko:
(I know it has nothing to do with the IXEG but the 737-800 by ZiBo has improved landing dynamics. Thats why I´m confused although i know both planes have different wings.)

Landed perfectly in 11.26.

Is the current "feel" realistic? do i have to get used to it?

Or is it a byproduct of the new flightmodel of 11.30 and it wil be fixed at some time?

Cheers!:lol:

Edited by SkyFly
Update

You guys crack me up!

First it´s "The plane is falling to the ground, I can´t keep the nose up, help help help!"

Now it´s "The plane is floating, how can I get it onto the ground? Help help help!" :lol:

I personally think the plane flies a lot more realistic (with regard to the flare) in 11.30 - and I can land it just fine. So I would say get used to the new dynamics. The only thing changed was the force needed to keep the nose up - no changes to wing lift, ground effect etc.

Can´t say how the Zibo flies - and I couldn´t say if it is realistic or not, as I have never flown a NG. That is for Zibo to determine.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Litjan said:

You guys crack me up!

First it´s "The plane is falling to the ground, I can´t keep the nose up, help help help!"

Now it´s "The plane is floating, how can I get it onto the ground? Help help help!" :lol:

I personally think the plane flies a lot more realistic (with regard to the flare) in 11.30 - and I can land it just fine. So I would say get used to the new dynamics. The only thing changed was the force needed to keep the nose up - no changes to wing lift, ground effect etc.

Can´t say how the Zibo flies - and I couldn´t say if it is realistic or not, as I have never flown a NG. That is for Zibo to determine.

Cheers, Jan

I think the ground effect is well simulated in the 733, except the negative torque applied during ground effect which seems to be too important in my opinion, just need to tune it a bit lower and it will be perfect