low terrain warnings

Chase911

Is anyone else getting the audible warning of " To Low, pull up,   I'm getting the terrain warning while on the glide slope of ILS 28R at KPDX. Starting around 1000 feet agl i get the warnings. 

The warnings continue until i land.  it's happened at other airports too. But i can't recall which one. 

I am unable to stop the sounds. Even pressings the button doesn't stop the audible alarm.

Dave

11 hours ago, Goran_M said:

Are you properly configured?  Flaps are down?

Flaps may not of been all the way down. I was advised to maintain 170 knots till 8 mile final. By then i started adding flaps as i slowed. But i think even after i added full flaps the warning continued till i touched down. But that does make sence to get the alarm if flaps not extended. But annoying when we can't stop it. Maybe if we add 1 notch of flaps the warning should stop?. It's like once it starts there is nothing that can be done to stop it. Plus i think it's kind of hilly terrain on the final at Portland. 

Edited by Chase911

To the best of my  Recollection Mode 4B would of been the reason. Gear down with flaps not all the extended due to an atc instruction of maintain 170 kts. I see there is a way to stop the alarm by either fully extending the flaps or pressing the TAWS flap switch to OVRD.

Where is this OVRD Switch?

And thank you for this info. There are a lot of conditions there.

10 hours ago, Goran_M said:

OVRD Switch

Screenshot_616.jpg

Ah cool thanks!

This will come in handy not only when advised to maintain a fast speed by ATC but also when it's required to maintain a faster speed on approach due to wind shear. Also thank you for taking your time to find this information for me / others who may find this helpful.  Very kind. 

Dave.

By the way. Great art work on your TBM project!

It turns out the reason was 4B. But i was unable to turn off warning alarms once started even after clicking on the TAWS flap switch to OVRD. This should of worked even if flaps were not all the way down the way i understand it. ( or maybe needs to be done prior to getting to low...)

But i did think the flaps were all the way down because the axis lever i was using was in the full down position.  looking at ACARS after the flight i noticed the flaps almost never go into the full down position with the lever. Position 8 on my ACARS is all the way down,  i showed a 6 or 7. So that's why the alarm. So i again changed the flaps to a hat and used hat up and down to cycle the positions. 4 clicks down will now put them in position 8 everytime   So now no more alarms. I only write this, so if anyone else using an axis control finds this problem, now you will know why.

Dave