question file system case sensitve, case insensitive, mac os

pirascha

Hi,

today I made a backup copy of my x-plane to an older HD which is formated case insensitive. My system HD is formated case sensitive. There I got one error message that there is/are files/folder with same name and stopped copying. I looked and found in the "SAAB 340A/Cargo Variant" and "Passenger Variant" folders with the name "objects" and "Objects" and I think one was "OBJECTS" at one other place. My questions is: As the most mac systems are formated "case insensitive" How is this working there that during install the date this folders do not override each other? Or should be all data in the same objects folder? In my eyes this is a critical situation and may result in strange behaviors.

Regards
Peter

Ah, ok. No I have e.g. "../SAAB 340A/Passanger Variant/objects" and "../SAAB 340A/Passanger Variant/Objects". So when I understand this correct all files should be in one coresponding folder with the name "objects". E.g. ".../Passenger Variant/objects" all file from "objects" and "Objects". Interresting, Maybe somebody was not carefully with writing the names when create the installer. I will report this to X-Aviation.

Hmm, till now I did not see any side effect of this. I will collect files all together and look wether I see on difference..

Thank you
Peter

I merged the files into one folder and do not see any difference till now. From x-aviation I got the answer that they do not support case sensitive systems.  Unix/Linux the file systems are always case sensitive.... Big Apples are something others than little apples. Ok, this is now a principal philosophy and more OT.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pirascha said:

I merged the files into one folder and do not see any difference till now. From x-aviation I got the answer that they do not support case sensitive systems.  Unix/Linux the file systems are always case sensitive.... Big Apples are something others than little apples. Ok, this is now a principal philosophy and more OT.

Strict Unix systems are also 1% of real world systems exposure. You know this.