VR capabilities of Saab

Chase911

So i ordered a new Video card. GTX 1080.  I'm looking forward to better frames. I don't mean that with this plane. I'm talking about heavy scenery packages. But anyway.

I'm curious if anyone has been able to use the Saab within VR? I have the Oculus rift but i do not have the touch controllers.  So i would be dependent on the 3D VR mouse support to manipulate the controls.  i currently only use VR with the LR 172.

Thanks.

Dave.

That's great! And i understand this is not a supported option at this point. 

In the installation instructions it says to revert back to the original _Cockpit_obj. When flying outside of VR because the new file breaks mouse wheel zoom. That's easy enough.

Looks like only two files I'll need to back up for swapping in and out for when I'd want to fly in VR.

Looks to be pretty easy. I guess i still would need the _vrconfig.txt file even though i do not have touch controllers... or do you think i could get away with only using the new _cockpit.obj file?

Anyway.  great find. Thanks. I'll give it a shot. 

Dave.

2 hours ago, Selmer79 said:

@mmerelles, I tried the simvrlabs profile, and it's ok in VR, but it made the Saab "unplayable" outside of VR.. :( I was a sad panda then...

as the instructions says for playing VR you have to replace the 2 files with the ones provided simvrlabs, for playing non-vr you use your 2 original files. This is the trade off as of now until the saab v2.0 arrives and most likely will be full VR ready

Hi, I use the SAAB in VR quite a lot and love it. I tried the VR mod but I can quite happily fly in VR without it, so I removed it. I do all my pre flight in non VR then taxi and take off in VR. While on route I switch back to non VR. Once I am sorted for approach I switch back to VR for it along with the landing and taxi in. I do have a touch controller but don’t use it to manipulate the controls, only select menus and resetting view, would def recommend them though. I use the mouse in VR and it works on all switches I use for taxi, take off and landing. I use a Thrustmaster Warthog for main power levers and I have two axis on my Saitek Pro Flight TPM for condition levers.

Hope this helps

9 hours ago, sirtopper said:

Hi, I use the SAAB in VR quite a lot and love it. I tried the VR mod but I can quite happily fly in VR without it, so I removed it. I do all my pre flight in non VR then taxi and take off in VR. While on route I switch back to non VR. Once I am sorted for approach I switch back to VR for it along with the landing and taxi in. I do have a touch controller but don’t use it to manipulate the controls, only select menus and resetting view, would def recommend them though. I use the mouse in VR and it works on all switches I use for taxi, take off and landing. I use a Thrustmaster Warthog for main power levers and I have two axis on my Saitek Pro Flight TPM for condition levers.

Hope this helps

So the stock files work with the 3D mouse. Ie you can manipulate all above panel switches and dials with the mouse? I am going to give this a try today. 

On 9/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, sirtopper said:

Hi Chase911, I am just wondering if you had any luck today with SAAB and VR?

Honestly.  I haven't even tried. The more i thought about it the less appealing it became.

Main reasons are due to engine management. 

I rely heavily on the trq pop out window which shows my prop RPM and throttle settings.

I look at that window constantly.  even upon landing i look at it for reducing power to idle then reverse. So i think I'd be frustrated. 

I think if LES somehow can add these pop outs while in VR for their 2.0 release then i would be more inclined to try it.

Thanks for the info though.

Obviously let me know if you are able to view that pop out. But with other models i can't. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Chase911 said:

Honestly.  I haven't even tried. The more i thought about it the less appealing it became.

Main reasons are due to engine management. 

I am not concerned with constantly watching these gauges but I understand. You can see them and you can lean in to get a better look. With 1.5.1 under bright sunlight they do become difficult to read but I mentioned this in previous post. For me it’s the experience you feel while in VR while taxing and landing. My landings are so much better, centre line and touch down point,  and more satisfying in VR than without.

If you have the VR equipment it would be worth a try just to experience it.

Tony

3 hours ago, sirtopper said:

I am not concerned with constantly watching these gauges but I understand. You can see them and you can lean in to get a better look. With 1.5.1 under bright sunlight they do become difficult to read but I mentioned this in previous post. For me it’s the experience you feel while in VR while taxing and landing. My landings are so much better, centre line and touch down point,  and more satisfying in VR than without.

If you have the VR equipment it would be worth a try just to experience it.

Tony

Well i went ahead and folded. You twisted my arm lol. I'm happy i did. Your right. It is really cool in a VR setting . And this is without any input from LES. I can only imagine what it will look like after they have done their magic to it. As for the pop out for engine management i just take the headset off to make sure everything is where i want it to be, then put it back on. Not as frustrating as i thought it would be. And your also correct in the fact you don't need to download the mod. The VR mouse works just fine. Other than the curser disappears when your over some of the dials. But it still works. So I'm on the bandwagon and i hope others give it a try too. To include the Dev's, if they haven't looked yet. Thanks Bud for the push. Well worth it.

Dave