JGX_C400_1.2 VOR ID Problem

pwalsh2

Whats that mean? ??? 

I don't need multiples just the correct one for the area(country)

ya know like the rest of the planes using EFIS in X-plane 5.x-9.x

It means that in the "real-life" G1000 when you select an ID that refers to more than one NavAid a window is displayed and you can then select which one you want.  This has not yet been implemented in the Corvalis, sorry.

Hmmm  I don't believe that to be true.

I currently have more than 25 hrs in "real-life" G1000 C172/C182, and have never had to choose as you say. See attached.  Anyway, the technique that X-plane uses in its Gamin 430 would suffice in mean time. The most relevant. Both VOR's are located next to each other which makes in difficult to navigate the area using GPS without them.  In "real-life" a notam would be issued for unusable nav aid, but then again GPS does not care if the VOR is in service or not. 

I believe  Randy Witt <info@x-plane.com> could give you help.

post-2641-131369599789_thumb.png

post-2641-131369599812_thumb.png

Hmmm  I don't believe that to be true.

I currently have more than 25 hrs in "real-life" G1000 C172/C182, and have never had to choose as you say. See attached.  Anyway, the technique that X-plane uses in its Gamin 430 would suffice in mean time. The most relevant. Both VOR's are located next to each other which makes in difficult to navigate the area using GPS without them.  In "real-life" a notam would be issued for unusable nav aid, but then again GPS does not care if the VOR is in service or not.  

I believe  Randy Witt <info@x-plane.com> could give you help.

Many features of the G1000 differ between aircraft.

I can't speak for the G1000 in the C172/C182.  But I can speak with authority about the G1000 in the Corvalis.

Here is a screenshot from the Garmin G1000 Cessna 350_400 Pilots Guide showing the Duplicate Waypoints window and a screenshot from the Garmin Corvalis Simulator Software showing the HGR ID as you did...

As I stated previously, this has not been implemented in my Corvalis (yet).

Jim

post-279-131369599836_thumb.png

post-279-1313696001_thumb.png

Yes, they are the same as C172/C182/----Mustang.  But always when entering waypoint ID “Real-Life” and X-plane Garmin 430 the one nearest to current location is displayed first (1), not alphabetically as JGX C400 is implemented.

Try it, move airplane to any where in the world with Garmins G1000 simulator then input waypoint ID and the first to appear is the closest one first.

That is why you always hit “enter” twice (in)“Real-Life” to skip / bypass duplicates.  Which are thousands of miles away in another country or continent.

A database “IF” formula would be quicker to implement than having to program and draw another window to popup for duplicates that are almost always skip/bypass and my opinion not needed. Making what you have as real as possible is great.

I'm not sure what you want me to tell you.

Your original post stated...

When attempting to enter a flight plan certain navaids have duplicate ID.

No way of picking the one I want

I stated that this feature (duplicate selection) was not yet available in the Corvalis.

You then stated that you didn't understand my response and that you don't need multiples, just the nearest.

I explained that in "real life" the G1000 displays a "Duplicate Waypoints" window to select the waypoint and that I had not yet implemented this in the Corvalis.

You answered...

Hmmm  I don't believe that to be true.  I currently have more than 25 hrs in "real-life" G1000 C172/C182, and have never had to choose as you say.

I then posted a screenshot showing you that the "real life" G1000 does exactly what I said... it displays a "Duplicate Waypoints" window where you can select the waypoint you want. 

You then replied by stating...

Yes, they are the same as C172/C182/----Mustang.  But always when entering waypoint ID “Real-Life” and X-plane Garmin 430 the one nearest to current location is displayed first... That is why you always hit “enter” twice (in)“Real-Life” to skip / bypass duplicates.

So whereas you previously did not believe that what I was saying was true, you now agree with me.  When you press the "ENT" Key the first time the "Duplicate "Waypoint" window is displayed with a list of waypoints.  When you press the "ENT" Key again you are accepting the first waypoint listed in that window.

I understand that the Corvalis doesn't do this now.  I also understand that it is selecting the first waypoint in the file and not the nearest.  The proper solution for the Corvalis is to implement this feature as it exists in "real life", which I intend to do.  Unfortunately I can not tell you when that will be.

I hope this clears things up.

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Guess it was my hopes too point you to the easiest resolution. 

The database lookup defect would seemingly be easier to correct.

Easiest = possibly sooner time. vs. Hardest = longer, possibly never time frame.

FMS waypoint database lookup would still need to be corrected to get true implementation of duplicates window, which are away sorted by current distance from aircraft (least to greatest).  You’d be that much closer. So the usefulness of your C400 G1000 would not be impeded until you get around to upgrading the DUPS window and other missing functions. Such as: CRS and BRG boxes on PFD that stay on, PFD Flight Plan, Waypoint or Facility Name or Location Entry which by the way would also solve my beef , CWS, BC annunciation, WAAS, VNV key, VPTH, ALTV, DME NAV BOX, DME Tuning Window, MENU key, MAP pages, WPT pages, AUX pages, NRST pages, Terrain, Traffic, Procedures, which I think would be daunting with a whole new database that is not currently in Xplane, HSI Arc, Checklist, EMERGCY list, better fuel selection knob, lighting for night use (can’t see unlighted items), Reversionary Mode, Display in Metric (For those who fly in Brazil that can use MRB there), Vertical Navigation Page, then of course there is SVS Synthetic Vision, Pathway, HRZN HDG, APTSIGNS, too name a few.

Just saying ☺

Guess it was my hopes too point you to the easiest resolution. 

The database lookup defect would seemingly be easier to correct.

Easiest = possibly sooner time. vs. Hardest = longer, possibly never time frame.

FMS waypoint database lookup would still need to be corrected to get true implementation of duplicates window, which are away sorted by current distance from aircraft (least to greatest).  You’d be that much closer. So the usefulness of your C400 G1000 would not be impeded until you get around to upgrading the DUPS window and other missing functions. Such as: CRS and BRG boxes on PFD that stay on, PFD Flight Plan, Waypoint or Facility Name or Location Entry which by the way would also solve my beef , CWS, BC annunciation, WAAS, VNV key, VPTH, ALTV, DME NAV BOX, DME Tuning Window, MENU key, MAP pages, WPT pages, AUX pages, NRST pages, Terrain, Traffic, Procedures, which I think would be daunting with a whole new database that is not currently in Xplane, HSI Arc, Checklist, EMERGCY list, better fuel selection knob, lighting for night use (can’t see unlighted items), Reversionary Mode, Display in Metric (For those who fly in Brazil that can use MRB there), Vertical Navigation Page, then of course there is SVS Synthetic Vision, Pathway, HRZN HDG, APTSIGNS, too name a few.

Just saying ☺

Writing the code to do what you want is the bulk of the work, so why do 80-90% and not implement the entire feature?  As a matter of fact if you look in the "cockpit_3d -> generic" folder you will find the "Duplicate Waypoint" window graphic is already there !   Anyway, I'm glad we agree how the duplicates work and you can rest assured that I will implement this feature in a future update.

As to your "laundry list" of missing functions...  I know you are well aware of how complex the G1000 is.  In order to have EVERY feature would mean, in essence, that I would be re-creating ALL of Garmin's code to fit in the sim... a rather huge undertaking !  I know you are also aware that Garmin issues updates to the software periodically and functionality can change.  The version of the aircraft that I developed may not include some of the things that are currently available.

The list...

1.) CRS and BRG boxes on PFD that stay on.

I had to pick a version of the G1000 for the Corvalis when I began developing it.  At that time the software turned the heading and course windows on for 3 seconds (when they were adjusted) and then turned them off. So that's how it is and will remain. Here is the excerpt from the Pilot's Guide 190-00552-01 Rev. D... 

2.) PFD Flight Plan.

Future update.

3.) Waypoint/Facility/Location entry.

There is no "location" data for a waypoint in the XP files...so that probably won't happen.  The others are a consideration.

4.) CWS.

Future update.

5.) BC annunciation.

To be considered.

6.) WAAS.

Again, at the time I began developing the Corvalis there was no WAAS available.

7.)VNV Key.

Same as Item 6.

8.) VPTH.

Same as Item 6.

9.) ALTV.

Same as Item 6.

10.) DME Nav Box.

Same as Item 6.

11.) MENU Key

Future update.

12.) MAP Pges.

Future update.

13.) WPT Pages.

Future update.

14.) AUX Pages.

Future update.

15. NRST Pages.

Future update.

16.) Terrain.

Future update.

17.) Traffic.

XP traffic is already implemented.  PFD annunciation is functional.

18.) Procedures.

To be considered.

19.) HSI Arc.

To be considered.

20.) Checklist.

Future update.

21.) Emergency list.

Future update.

22.) Better fuel selection knob. 

Talk to Cessna :)    If you can explain further it would help.  The current fuel selector works as in the "real" Corvalis except that you can't "lift" the selector. 

23.) Lighting is implemented "exactly" as in the "real" Corvalis except for map spots.  I did provide an "easier" way to access some of the lighting sliders in the 3D cockpit since reaching in front of the console was impractical.  I'm not sure what "unlighted" items you're talking about so please let me know.

24.) Reversionary Mode.

Future update.

25.)  Metric Display.

Future update.

26.) Vertical Navigation Page.

Not sure what you are referring to but probably same as Item 6.

27.)  SVS, Pathway, HRZN HDG, APTSIGNS, etc.

Not available in the version of the Corvalis that I developed.

Just replying ;)

post-279-1313696003_thumb.png

Lower Panels – At Night – Use of night goggles is only for illustration, don’t have and so I don’t use them.

Can't see fuel selector, key switch, primer, etc.  , Engine controls don’t matter much since external flight controls are used.

Looking at fuel selectors below which tank is in use?

At night not sure which way to turn to get other tank, 50/50 chance of shutting off fuel. If I can find it in the dark.

Also bringing up 3D view, currently bad, needs to NOT track the mouse. I have keyboard and joystick switches to move views.  

Scenario -I’m flying along at night, in 3D view and I reach for keyboard and bump the mouse, bam, my view goes flying around the cockpit and I get a terrible case of vertigo.

CRS and HDG  never seen one that only stays on 3 seconds, as shown in my pilot guide at bottom.

Oh and by the way I helped myself from the offending VOR’s/Navaid.  Deleted them from the data file.  For anyone else with same problem, just go to earth_nav.dat and open in text edit and delete offending locations.

post-2641-131369600422_thumb.png

post-2641-13136960044_thumb.png

post-2641-131369600455_thumb.png

post-2641-131369600461_thumb.png

post-2641-131369600467_thumb.png

Also bringing up 3D view, currently bad, needs to NOT track the mouse.

Complain to Austin.

I have keyboard and joystick switches to move views.  

Scenario -I’m flying along at night, in 3D view and I reach for keyboard and bump the mouse, bam, my view goes flying around the cockpit and I get a terrible case of vertigo.

...Or you could just do what everyone else does to avoid this...hit 'q' or 'e' in 3D mode to stop the mouse tracking in that instance of 3D view.

CRS and HDG  never seen one that only stays on 3 seconds, as shown in my pilot guide at bottom.

Your pilot guide is irrelevant here considering Jim has thoroughly explained that what you have never seen was in fact seen by many incuding at the time of development of the C400 that this product was based on. He's provided ample proof of this.

Lower Panels – At Night – Use of night goggles is only for illustration, don’t have and so I don’t use them.

Can't see fuel selector, key switch, primer, etc.  , Engine controls don’t matter much since external flight controls are used.

As I have already indicated, the lighting is EXACTLY as you would find in real life...and so it will remain.

At night not sure which way to turn to get other tank, 50/50 chance of shutting off fuel. If I can find it in the dark.

Come on, please.  The G1000 fuel gauges have indicators for which tank is in use.  If the left tank is in use, turn to the right.  If the right tank is in use, turn to the left.  it couldn't be simpler.

Also bringing up 3D view, currently bad, ...

The 3D view is out of my control, as Cameron pointed out above.

Your are referring to Pilot Guide version 190-00552-03 Rev A., which is irrelevant.  As I have already proven the Corvalis G1000 software version at the time of development DID HAVE this feature (Pilot Guide version 190-00552-01 Rev D.) and it too will remain this way.  Discussion over.

Jim

• 1 month later...

When attempting to enter a flight plan certain navaids have duplicate ID.

No way of picking the one I want

example

MRB-- Martinsburg-112.1  West Virginia

MRB--- Maraba  Brazil

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but just jumping in here with a work-around to the originally stated problem. I've had the same issue flying X-Plane in the Seattle area, because X-Plane knows of two "PAE" VORs: one at Paine Field, and a second one in Laos or something. The second was irrelevant to me so I simply deleted it from the earth_nav.dat file, which is big text file in resources/default data. A hack? Sure, but it neatly solved my problem. No more dupe.

If you don't plan on simming down to Brazil, I recommend the same tweak for MRB.

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but just jumping in here with a work-around to the originally stated problem. I've had the same issue flying X-Plane in the Seattle area, because X-Plane knows of two "PAE" VORs: one at Paine Field, and a second one in Laos or something. The second was irrelevant to me so I simply deleted it from the earth_nav.dat file, which is big text file in resources/default data. A hack? Sure, but it neatly solved my problem. No more dupe.

If you don't plan on simming down to Brazil, I recommend the same tweak for MRB.

This work-around was already mentioned in one of the posts above.

The good news is that in the next update of the Corvalis the FMS will "pick" the nearest (to the aircraft) NavAid when there are multiple NavAids with the same ID.  The "nearest to the aircraft" may not be the one that you want, but it is probably better than defaulting to the first in the file.  In the future the Duplicate Waypoint selection functionality of the G1000 will be implemented in full.

Jim

• 4 years later...

I'm fairly new to x- plane. I found the Cessna Corvalis TT hard work and gave up on it before last Xmas '14. After reading the above reviews I now have a better understanding of the Corvalis and with the coming updates so much the better.

So yesterday 22-3-15 I did a re install. The customer activation page appears wanting my email address, no problem, but the account password had me lost.

Would someone advise me on who to contact with an email address to my problem.

Thanks

Mick23

• 2 weeks later...