Correct sequence of pushback and engine start?

SinusJayCee

Hi all,

I'm new to this size of plane in general and to the Saab in particular. In smaller planes, I do the pushback before engine start, while in larger planes, I start the engines during pushback. Now I'm wondering about the correct sequence here.

When I start the engines after (or during) pushback, I loose avionics power since I've to disconnect the GPU and the plane has no APU. Furthermore, I've to start at least on engine on batteries, which probably means a high load on them. On the other hand, the blades of the right propeller are quite close to the head of the tow driver, which does not look very safe to me. Even though the pixel guy (or woman) will never get chopped in the sim, I'd like to operate the plane as realistic as possible. Another option would be to start the left engine before pushback and the right engine after pushback.

So what is the correct sequence?

Thank you in advance for your help!

LES_Saab_340A_10.jpg.eb0fa2f9dcec09bb9ddc9710aa5fde28.thumb.jpg.e93606c6a6c557dd85f204a85002de20.jpg

Good question, maybe some of the real world saab drivers can shed some light on this.

I just start and stop in a parking spot where no pushback is necessary, that's how I usually find the turboprops sitting at airports. Passengers are brought to the plane via bus or just walk there (depending on the country and size of the airport).

Thanks for your reply!

I also never park at the gate but at spots on the apron. In many cases, it is possible to taxi straight ahead, and thus, one has no problem. However, in some cases, it is not intended or possible to taxi without pushback. For example, the screenshot above is from EDDM apron 3 after pushback from position 330 (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flughafen+München/@48.3525241,11.8021905,309m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x479e135923da6d45:0xe3c57a853a56cf4b!8m2!3d48.3536621!4d11.7750279). I can't find a position there where no pushback is needed.

Great video and shows how they do it in reality. My only 2 cents is that in Xplane the GPU is placed on the right side of the aircraft. So I start the left engine first then remove the GPU. Would be interesting to know if this affects any systems? The main one would be the hydraulics, for steering and braking, but the pumps are electrical so cannot see any issues there.

I usually start the left engine first as well and the tutorial also suggests to do so. I haven't learned enough about the Saab's systems to say something about the exact consequences. However, during pushback, you shouldn't use your brakes or NWS anyway. Thus, I would say that there is no problem even if you would lose hydraulic pressure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SinusJayCee said:

Even though the pixel guy (or woman) will never get chopped in the sim, I'd like to operate the plane as realistic as possible.

Pixel lives matter! lol,

Seriously, good question. BetterPushBack does not work for me on this bird. I was wondering if it's because of the order I was doing things.

10 hours ago, R313 said:

Pixel lives matter! lol,

Seriously, good question. BetterPushBack does not work for me on this bird. I was wondering if it's because of the order I was doing things.

No problems since the 0.42 release of BP ( https://github.com/skiselkov/BetterPushbackC/issues/17 ) . PS: i did the tests for WP 10 and 11.

May be a plugin conflict. Can you join your log.txt?