SMP feedback

NZWW

Hi there, 

A few things that I noted since I started using SMP+RWC+NOAA plugins, these are SMP related I think:

1. Red-ish sky colour during sunset. While this colour sometimes appears in real-life, it is overexaggerated here, frequency too.

2. Too narrow gradient of dark sky at high altitudes (35000+ feet). Basically, the difference between normal light blue and dark navy is too significant.

3. Clouds at sunset and night time are way too light and bright.

4. Runway/airfield lights visible through clouds, what should be a dense layer, from significant distance.

5. Clouds are definitely not completely seamlessly moving as mentioned as a competitive advantage of this product, sometimes they do disappear&appear and this is very noticeable. I do use appropriate SMP+RWC settings. 

6. Rain above clouds.  I do use appropriate SMP+RWC settings. 

While xEnviro is completely unusable for other reasons, it does not suffer from these issues.

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, NZWW said:

1. Red-ish sky colour during sunset. While this colour sometimes appears in real-life, it is overexaggerated here, frequency too.

2. Too narrow gradient of dark sky at high altitudes (35000+ feet). Basically, the difference between normal light blue and dark navy is too significant.

These two are entirely customizable. Select a different sky color if you like. By default it uses the usually considered accurate Hosek-Wilkie sky model.

3. Clouds at sunset and night time are way too light and bright.

We have gone back and forth with this over various versions. This one categorically goes under "cannot please everybody". When we have made them darker the majority of people write in their hatred for this change. This is the happy medium we have come up with.

4. Runway/airfield lights visible through clouds, what should be a dense layer, from significant distance.

This is an X-Plane draw order issue. Nothing we can do about it for now. Default clouds have the same problem.

5. Clouds are definitely not completely seamlessly moving as mentioned as a competitive advantage of this product, sometimes they do disappear&appear and this is very noticeable. I do use appropriate SMP+RWC settings. 

Are you going across multiple DSF tile zones when this happens? X-Plane will force some re-draws when this happens.

6. Rain above clouds.  I do use appropriate SMP+RWC settings. 

This is not something I've heard. @sundog will probably know more or be interested in this one.

All I can add is that the sky colors near the horizon are actually coming from X-Plane, not from us. We blend towards X-Plane's sky at the horizon to ensure the sky blends properly with the distant fog on the terrain. And, rain above clouds may be due to another cloud layer above you. We'd have to see a log.txt after you experience that to figure out the details.

Thanks for the feedback.