Take Command! Saab 340A v1.5.1 Update Released!

Cameron

43 minutes ago, dedalos said:

After update i have weird engine behavior on startup. The engine temperature needle is moving all the time from 600 celsius to max and back again. That hapent all the time. The issue stops after take off. Any advice?

Whenever you have problems and post them here you should also post your Log.txt and GizmoLog.txt files. 

1 hour ago, dedalos said:

After update i have weird engine behavior on startup. The engine temperature needle is moving all the time from 600 celsius to max and back again. That hapent all the time. The issue stops after take off. Any advice?

there are my log files

Log.txt

GizmoLog.txt

You have a LOT of plugins installed, some of which are interacting with the Saab.  My suspicion is that one (or more) of these plugins is interfering with proper operation of the Saab.  

The typical way to diagnose this is to remove all 3rd party plugins (except Gizmo) and then test the Saab.  If the problem has been resolved, you can slowly, one-by-one, add the plugins back in and test each time you do that to try and determine  which plugin is causing the problem.   Another method is to download the X-Plane demo, install the Saab, and then test fly it.  The demo install will be clean and have no third party plugins.

Edited by JGregory

You have a LOT of plugins installed, some of which are interacting with the Saab.  My suspicion is that one (or more) of these plugins is interfering with proper operation of the Saab.  
The typical way to diagnose this is to remove all 3rd party plugins (except Gizmo) and then test the Saab.  If the problem has been resolved, you can slowly, one-by-one, add the plugins back in and test each time you do that to try and determine  which plugin is causing the problem.   Another method is to download the X-Plane demo, install the Saab, and then test fly it.  The demo install will be clean and have no third party plugins.

So I have tried with only the gizmo plug-in enabled and the issue still exists. I don't think that this issue has something to do with the plug-ins because I used this plug-ins in the previous version with no problems. It must be something with the start procedure. When I start the engine putting the power levers to start position and the ignition to start the engine starts normally without any problem. The issue that I mentioned early begins when I move the powerlever from start position to unfeather and then to minimum. I tried to leave the power lever to unfeather for longer time and in this case the engine behavior comes to normal operation after about 5-10 min.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, dedalos said:

So I have tried with only the gizmo plug-in enabled and the issue still exists. I don't think that this issue has something to do with the plug-ins because I used this plug-ins in the previous version with no problems. It must be something with the start procedure. When I start the engine putting the power levers to start position and the ignition to start the engine starts normally without any problem. The issue that I mentioned early begins when I move the powerlever from start position to unfeather and then to minimum. I tried to leave the power lever to unfeather for longer time and in this case the engine behavior comes to normal operation after about 5-10 min.

Yes, you should "pause" at the "unfeather" position prior to moving to the "minimum" position.  However, the engine should stabilize faster than 5-10m min. 

What are your frame rates?

Yes, you should "pause" at the "unfeather" position prior to moving to the "minimum" position.  However, the engine should stabilize faster than 5-10m min. 
What are your frame rates?

Over 50 frames. Have new system with high end hardware. I7 7700k overclocked 4.7 gtx1080ti, hydrocooling etc.

Over 50 frames. Have new system with high end hardware. I7 7700k overclocked 4.7 gtx1080ti, hydrocooling etc.

My only suggestion at this time is to move the condition lever(s) as described above with a pause at the unfeather position.  Much of the engine model in X-Plane has changed since the original code was written for the Saab.  The Saab code for the engines is very complex and quite a few lines of code.  It would not be prudent to "tear this all down and rebuild it" for the current version of the Saab.  These kinds of nuanced issues are something that we will be addressing for v2.0.

I installed the latest version today. 

I noticed, maybe because of the new PBR on the glass, that when you use the windshield wipers, black streaks appear across the windshield. You should be able to reproduce this effect. I have made no alterations to this file. Started from scratch. Other than that minor issue. Everything else looks good. 

I do have two questions for who ever may know how to do this. 

one: Can the angle of Bank be changed while auto pilot is changing coarse? Before the turn was pretty sharp, now it feels like 10 maybe 15 % bank. 

two: How do you assign a key or button to handle the flaps? I type in flaps in key settings and the only options which come up is cowl flaps. I'd like to be able to assign an axis, but if not at least two buttons / keys to control the flaps one notch at a time. 

Thanks to anyone who may be able to assist me. 

Dave. 

3 hours ago, Chase911 said:

Can the angle of Bank be changed while auto pilot is changing coarse? Before the turn was pretty sharp, now it feels like 10 maybe 15 % bank. 

Angle of Bank is not user adjustable in the Saab.

3 hours ago, Chase911 said:

How do you assign a key or button to handle the flaps? I type in flaps in key settings and the only options which come up is cowl flaps. I'd like to be able to assign an axis, but if not at least two buttons / keys to control the flaps one notch at a time. 

You can simply use the standard X-Plane keystrokes or assign those same commands to buttons to move the lever up and down.

• Like 1

My only suggestion at this time is to move the condition lever(s) as described above with a pause at the unfeather position.  Much of the engine model in X-Plane has changed since the original code was written for the Saab.  The Saab code for the engines is very complex and quite a few lines of code.  It would not be prudent to "tear this all down and rebuild it" for the current version of the Saab.  These kinds of nuanced issues are something that we will be addressing for v2.0.

I went back to the previous version of saab and the issue disappeared. So i think it has nothing to due with the new version of xplane. It is a bug of the new version of saab.

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 4:01 AM, toby23 said:

Another option would be just to make the hundreds and thousands numbers clickable. One left click to increase by 1000ft, one right click to decrease etc.

Thanks to all for this patch, very excited to learn this aircraft. One of the very best small turboprops that I have had the pleasure to own. I think the only thing that I miss is a clicky noise when touching the flap lever. I have that assigned to my throttle but it's impossible to know, without looking, if it has been set correctly during busy phases of flight such as climb out and approach.

I have XP Realstic Pro which allows me to assign sounds for flaps, landing gear, etc. You may want to check it out. 

On 9/8/2018 at 2:09 PM, Chase911 said:

I installed the latest version today. 

I noticed, maybe because of the new PBR on the glass, that when you use the windshield wipers, black streaks appear across the windshield. You should be able to reproduce this effect. I have made no alterations to this file. Started from scratch. Other than that minor issue. Everything else looks good. 

I do have two questions for who ever may know how to do this. 

one: Can the angle of Bank be changed while auto pilot is changing coarse? Before the turn was pretty sharp, now it feels like 10 maybe 15 % bank. 

two: How do you assign a key or button to handle the flaps? I type in flaps in key settings and the only options which come up is cowl flaps. I'd like to be able to assign an axis, but if not at least two buttons / keys to control the flaps one notch at a time. 

Thanks to anyone who may be able to assist me. 

Dave. 

I gave the CH products yoke and I've assigned the flap switch to one of the levers. Works great.

Flew online today.  The pilot and first officer side altimeters were reading 300 feet low.  I was level at 13,000 feet.  Both captain and first officer altimeters displayed 13,000 feet.  The standby altimeter was reading 13,300 feet.  Yes, all the kollsman windows were set to the same  barometric pressure.  Vatsim ATC showed me as 300 feet high from my assigned altitude, indicating 13,300 feet on their radar displays. 

Anyone have any insight for me?  Just bought the SAAB yesterday, and would love to fly it online more.

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Tim013

1 hour ago, Tim013 said:

Flew online today.  The pilot and first officer side altimeters were reading 300 feet low.  I was level at 13,000 feet.  Both captain and first officer altimeters displayed 13,000 feet.  The standby altimeter was reading 13,300 feet.  Yes, all the kollsman windows were set to the same  barometric pressure.  Vatsim ATC showed me as 300 feet high from my assigned altitude, indicating 13,300 feet on their radar displays. 

Anyone have any insight for me?  Just bought the SAAB yesterday, and would love to fly it online more.

Thanks,

Tim

Make sure you set the altimeter to what your sim is using not what the real world is doing. On XP i use the download real weather option every 30 minutes. This will help with the differences. So if a vatsim controller tells you 29.98, but your sim is showing 30.03, then go with 30.03 but read back what the controller states. This way you will show correctly on their scope. I fly online all the time in this plane.

Dave

15 hours ago, Tim013 said:

See this.

• 2 weeks later...

After gaining more time in the SAAB, which I'm really liking a lot, I too feel the autopilot bank angle is too shallow.  It's typically turning at 15 degrees maximum, which is undermining itself when it comes to course intercepts.  I get a lot of course scalloping and bracketing, to the point where I manually fly a lot of the sharper intercepts, rather than let the autopilot struggle.  This isn't ideal when flying single pilot, in a two pilot certificated aircraft. 

I know version 2.0 is in active development, but I'd love to see a small tweak to the autopilot bank angle.

Tim

17 hours ago, Tim013 said:

After gaining more time in the SAAB, which I'm really liking a lot, I too feel the autopilot bank angle is too shallow.  It's typically turning at 15 degrees maximum, which is undermining itself when it comes to course intercepts.  I get a lot of course scalloping and bracketing, to the point where I manually fly a lot of the sharper intercepts, rather than let the autopilot struggle.  This isn't ideal when flying single pilot, in a two pilot certificated aircraft. 

I know version 2.0 is in active development, but I'd love to see a small tweak to the autopilot bank angle.

Tim

Tim,

The bank angle issue has been fixed.  Not sure when it will be released.

8 hours ago, JGregory said:

Tim,

The bank angle issue has been fixed.  Not sure when it will be released.

Nice!  That is so good to hear, and every SAAB driver is going to appreciate that a lot. 

I'm kicking myself for sitting on the fence way too long before buying this addon.  It is such a fun aircraft to fly, and reminds me a lot of a baby MD-80, with all of the quirky procedures.

One last thing, that's not as important as the autopilot, would be a fix for the system status annunciator panel lights that don't illuminate during daylight. (L BETA, AUTOCOARS ARM, etc...).  Certainly not a deal breaker, but the light show during start up and departure is unique to the 340, and would be fun to have working.

Finally, you have a definite customer here for version 2 whenever it comes out.  I absolutely love these "transition" aircraft; not quite all steam gauge, not quite electronic display, and just automated enough to make things interesting. 

Thanks again for updating the autopilot.

Regards,

Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dima436393 said:

Hello. There is a problem with start-up engines SAAB 340A_1.5.1 .It's often impossible to start the engines, the ITT does not increase and I have to restart x-plane.How to solve this problem? (Sorry for my english)

Why would you need to restart XP?. Are the condition levers and throttle all the the proper position for start up? If not it won't start. There is a cheater window which shows just where these levers should be. Click on the icon on the right side of screen to bring up the throttle quadrant.  it helps.  also you tube has many videos on proper way to start the Saab. 

On 12/11/2018 at 7:13 PM, Chase911 said:

Why would you need to restart XP?. Are the condition levers and throttle all the the proper position for start up? If not it won't start. There is a cheater window which shows just where these levers should be. Click on the icon on the right side of screen to bring up the throttle quadrant.  it helps.  also you tube has many videos on proper way to start the Saab. 

Good morning again. I am a real Saab 340 pilot and I know how to start engines. But the problem sometimes (or often) remains. Please watch this video. No direct start, no motoring start.(NG is growing, there is no fuel flow,  no increase ITT)
 What is the reason? Maybe I need to reinstall x-plane?

8 hours ago, dima436393 said:

Good morning again. I am a real Saab 340 pilot and I know how to start engines. But the problem sometimes (or often) remains. Please watch this video. No direct start, no motoring start.(NG is growing, there is no fuel flow,  no increase ITT)
 What is the reason? Maybe I need to reinstall x-plane?

LES_Saab_340A_3.avi

When you are reporting issues you also need to post your Log.txt and GizmoLog.txt files.  

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic