First of all, Awesome job.  This isn't a bug per say, but could the window reflections be reduced?  Made to be toggled on or off?  Especially the front windshield?

Thanks

1 hour ago, taildraggin68 said:

First of all, Awesome job.  This isn't a bug per say, but could the window reflections be reduced?  Made to be toggled on or off?  Especially the front windshield?

Thanks

Thanks. Yes of course, I will add this in the next update.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi,

I like the bird - a very nice addition to my GA twin hangar. I flies nice and looks great.

1. The reflections need to be toned down as already mentioned.

2. I tried and failed to have the autopilot do a coupled approach. Checking around it appears it should be possible with this model autopilot. If I missed something, please advise.

3. Keep up the good work - thanks.

Please don't remove the window reflections as that is what windows really do. The option to toggle them on or off would be great.

Thanks for a marvelous aircraft. I think it is the most iconic Cessna twin made to have the original avionics and analogue gauges is awesome.

• Like 1

Here's the stuff I've noticed so far:

• ADF (both): push-and-hold only works for continual adjustment counter-clockwise, not clockwise.
  • Fuel tank selectors: right selector moves counter-clockwise when clicked with clockwise arrow. Should probably be opposite of left tank.
  • Nav lights only responds to mouse wheel (not click), does not change cursor to indicate it's an interactive element. Ideally would show up/down arrows in appropriate section of switch, and also respond to mouse wheel. Does not make a sound when manipulated with mouse wheel.
  • Pilot's window does not change cursor to indicate it's interactive. Minor: clickzone remains in the window hole once window opened, usually the click zone moves so you click the same 'pane of glass' to close it that you did to open it.
  • Autopilot intercept/hdg and alt on/off switches enable the autopilot switch when used (if AP is not enabled). This causes unexpected behaviour. If unavoidable, then at least it should be consistent (disabling autopilot also disables alt and optionally sets back to hdg mode).
  • No engine volume change when door/window opened vs closed.
  • Switch sound occurs whereever you click, even if not on a switch or interactive element.
  • Bearing markings on autopilot heading dial are confusing, e.g. 30 is used for both 30 and 300 degrees. Should be 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. Photo here.
  • Transponder ALT mode is skipped. As I understand it, sim/cockpit/radios/transponder_mode 3 is altitude mode. At least this is how it is with e.g. the default Laminar C172, Cirrus SF50 and C90. I think ALT would be a better choice than TST for setting it to 3, anyway.
  • Landing lights are visible through some parts of the wing/tip tanks.

Auto pilot implementation seems a bit strange:

• Pitch hold mode on the autopilot seems to actually be a vertical speed hold, which is kind of nice in terms of ease of use but I wonder if it's actually correct.
  • Pitch(VS) mode is only activate when ALT ON is set. As far as I can tell from the documentation I've found online, ALT ON should be altitude hold mode (when pitch is set neutral), and pitch control mode is always on when the autopilot is on.

I guess some of this is probably due to limitations of X-Plane's built-in autopilot which I assume this plane is using. Would be nice to get it more like the real thing, e.g. the heading/omni and turn mode dial/knob thing.

59 minutes ago, nomdeplume said:

Landing lights are visible through some parts of the wing/tip tanks.

This is not something we have control over. That's an X-Plane issue, unfortunately.

59 minutes ago, nomdeplume said:

Pitch hold mode on the autopilot seems to actually be a vertical speed hold, which is kind of nice in terms of ease of use but I wonder if it's actually correct.

This should probably be more of an IAS hold, I guess? That's what I would assume, anyhow.

Thanks for your list! Good feedback.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:59 PM, jcjimmy said:

Hi,

I like the bird - a very nice addition to my GA twin hangar. I flies nice and looks great.

1. The reflections need to be toned down as already mentioned.

2. I tried and failed to have the autopilot do a coupled approach. Checking around it appears it should be possible with this model autopilot. If I missed something, please advise.

3. Keep up the good work - thanks.

1. A reflection toggle has been implemented. You can switch on/off the reflections of the windshield or instuments or both.

2. The Navomtatic 400A  has an approach mode, but not the Navomatic 400.

3. Thanks!

On 8/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, iandiss said:

Please don't remove the window reflections as that is what windows really do. The option to toggle them on or off would be great.

Thanks for a marvelous aircraft. I think it is the most iconic Cessna twin made to have the original avionics and analogue gauges is awesome.

Toggle impmlemented for the next update.
Thanks!

On 8/23/2018 at 1:09 PM, nomdeplume said:

Here's the stuff I've noticed so far:

1 ADF (both): push-and-hold only works for continual adjustment counter-clockwise, not clockwise.

2 Fuel tank selectors: right selector moves counter-clockwise when clicked with clockwise arrow. Should probably be opposite of left tank.

3 Nav lights only responds to mouse wheel (not click), does not change cursor to indicate it's an interactive element. Ideally would show up/down arrows in appropriate section of switch, and also respond to mouse wheel. Does not make a sound when manipulated with mouse wheel.

4 Pilot's window does not change cursor to indicate it's interactive. Minor: clickzone remains in the window hole once window opened, usually the click zone moves so you click the same 'pane of glass' to close it that you did to open it.

5 Autopilot intercept/hdg and alt on/off switches enable the autopilot switch when used (if AP is not enabled). This causes unexpected behaviour. If unavoidable, then at least it should be consistent (disabling autopilot also disables alt and optionally sets back to hdg mode).

6 No engine volume change when door/window opened vs closed.

7 Switch sound occurs whereever you click, even if not on a switch or interactive element.

8 Bearing markings on autopilot heading dial are confusing, e.g. 30 is used for both 30 and 300 degrees. Should be 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. Photo here.

9 Transponder ALT mode is skipped. As I understand it, sim/cockpit/radios/transponder_mode 3 is altitude mode. At least this is how it is with e.g. the default Laminar C172, Cirrus SF50 and C90. I think ALT would be a better choice than TST for setting it to 3, anyway.

10 Landing lights are visible through some parts of the wing/tip tanks.

Auto pilot implementation seems a bit strange:

11 Pitch hold mode on the autopilot seems to actually be a vertical speed hold, which is kind of nice in terms of ease of use but I wonder if it's actually correct.

12 Pitch(VS) mode is only activate when ALT ON is set. As far as I can tell from the documentation I've found online, ALT ON should be altitude hold mode (when pitch is set neutral), and pitch control mode is always on when the autopilot is on.

I guess some of this is probably due to limitations of X-Plane's built-in autopilot which I assume this plane is using. Would be nice to get it more like the real thing, e.g. the heading/omni and turn mode dial/knob thing.

1 - That is strange, mine works just fine. I've made some changes, so let's see if it is fixed in the upcoming update.
2 - Fixed.
3/6/7 - Fixed the symbol and changed the manipulation type. The none clicking sound, or clicking sound when clicking nowhere is X-plane's system default. I am working on the sound system, just don't want to announce or promise thing that are not ready.
4 - Fixed.
5 - That is an X-plane default, but I already is in my "to do" list.
8 - Fixed.
9 - Now it will be implemented like in default X-Plane aircraft. 
10 - That is X-Plane system problem. I couldn't work something out to get around it.
5/11/12 - The Navomatic 400 manage the pitch angle with the vacuum artificial horizon. At the moment it is implemented with the default X-plane autopilot. Some where already in my "to do" list.

Thanks!

Edited by Digital Replica

That's great, thanks!

Three more small things I forgot before:

• Both sets of magnetos are labeled "LEFT ENGINE".
  • The top set of numbers in the ADF roller (hundreds) can't really be seen from above. Not such a problem with ADF 1 because you also have the digital readout, but for ADF 2 I find it pretty much impossible to view the top row from anything approaching a 'natural' position. Could just be how the instrument is but it makes me wonder how the real pilots would use it while strapped in.
  • Popup menu location in the bottom-left corner doesn't interact well with the X-Camera mini-bar which also pops up along the bottom of the screen. Ideal would be to have a drag handle on it to allow the user to position it where they like. Alternatively in the middle at the left edge seems to be something of a defacto standard.

2 hours ago, nomdeplume said:

That's great, thanks!

Three more small things I forgot before:

• Both sets of magnetos are labeled "LEFT ENGINE".
  • The top set of numbers in the ADF roller (hundreds) can't really be seen from above. Not such a problem with ADF 1 because you also have the digital readout, but for ADF 2 I find it pretty much impossible to view the top row from anything approaching a 'natural' position. Could just be how the instrument is but it makes me wonder how the real pilots would use it while strapped in.
  • Popup menu location in the bottom-left corner doesn't interact well with the X-Camera mini-bar which also pops up along the bottom of the screen. Ideal would be to have a drag handle on it to allow the user to position it where they like. Alternatively in the middle at the left edge seems to be something of a defacto standard.

The popup menu can be drag. Just click and hold it from the top.
I need some time on the ADF one.
And the "LEFT ENGINE" has been fixed.

Thanks

I decided to "risk" things, and take my first ever flight in this lovely plane on PilotEdge!   The windscreen reflections, dirt and scratches, together with X-Plane 11's haze made VFR a real IFR adventure!  I often could hardly see anything out of the screen.  The idea of being able to toggle this (as well as the instruments - which were not that bad, actually) - is fine, but I think a reduction in the default view would be welcome.  Then it would be more like real world, and the ability to get rid of it all would be a useful bonus.  Interestingly, when I first loaded up and flew off, I found the plane verging on uncontrollable.  Of course, as I was under ATC, I struggled to look around the plane more than I otherwise might have. To my surprise, I realised that the plane had loaded with the autopilot on, even though the engines had to be started!  No wonder I couldn't trim it or hold a heading properly.  Yes, it was my fault for neither checking, nor reading a checklist, but it is a bit strange.  I will make sure I'm really cold and dark next time!   I'd appreciate a heading bug on the heading indicator (I know many HIs don't have a bug), even though the Navomatic 400 has its own heading setting.  I wonder who would put a Garmin 430 into a plane, and retain that autopilot, which is virtually irreparable these days......

Edited by diamonddriller
missing bracket

15 minutes ago, diamonddriller said:

I wonder who would put a Garmin 430 into a plane, and retain that autopilot, which is virtually irreparable these days......

A lot of aircraft owners. Autopilots and avionics in general are not inexpensive to purchase or even install.

3 minutes ago, Cameron said:

A lot of aircraft owners. Autopilots and avionics in general are not inexpensive to purchase or even install.

Very true, Cameron.   However,  it took me a while to find much on the 400 with Google (I did, eventually, find a manual), whereas there's quite a lot on the 400A and 400B.  With that fact in mind, it makes me wonder just how many of these are still around.   Just musing........   I read an article suggesting that these very early autopilots are now not really to be trusted anymore for IFR work, and their repair is uneconomical if, indeed, possible.  However, the subsequent 1970's 400A and 400B are still reliable (if properly serviced), repairable and well worth keeping.

Still, I'm delighted with the 310L.  The work that has been done on it is stunning.  

37 minutes ago, diamonddriller said:

To my surprise, I realised that the plane had loaded with the autopilot on, even though the engines had to be started! 

It is supposed to be on the off position at flight start. I will check on that.

5 minutes ago, diamonddriller said:

I read an article suggesting that these very early autopilots are now not really to be trusted anymore for IFR work, and their repair is uneconomical if, indeed, possible.

Could very well be the case for many of these aircraft. In such cases that's ultimately the owners' decision (and after all, we have a much more dependable X-Plane vs real servos). It's not like these things were unsafe upon initial out of the factory install.

Putting it into perspective, a proper autopilot these days will run you between $15,000-20,000 for the kit, plus $7,500-10,000 in labor for the install, and any additional approved hardware to mount the servos. A lot of owners don't have the cash to make this kind of a thing happen easily, and as such these things get overlooked in favor of other things (like engine overhaul).

4 hours ago, diamonddriller said:
 To my surprise, I realised that the plane had loaded with the autopilot on, even though the engines had to be started! 

It is supposed to be on the off position at flight start. I will check on that.

Well, I had installed the plane, opened it for its first flight, did the licensing and looked around.  The master switch and magnetos were on (and the avionics, as I remember it), but the engines were not running.  Maybe that won't happen again, but I suppose it's worth a quick look by you.  I couldn't believe how the plane was rocking like mad from side to side, even though the winds were very light.  I could hardly climb, and the trim seemed not to be working.   Then it started to descend, and I looked at the trim wheel, which I could then see was hardly moving with my efforts.  A light popped on in my old brain, and I looked at the autopilot switch :-)

Putting it into perspective, a proper autopilot these days will run you between $15,000-20,000 for the kit, plus $7,500-10,000 in labor for the install, and any additional approved hardware to mount the servos. A lot of owners don't have the cash to make this kind of a thing happen easily, and as such these things get overlooked in favor of other things (like engine overhaul).

I know, Cameron.  I've been flying RW for over 20 years.   Owning a plane is like owning a boat - both wonderful ways to burn through money :)

As you well know, a new avionics suite can easily cost more than many older planes are worth, but it can transform the experience.

BTW, looking forward to the TBM!

Great update.  Thanks a million. 

Interestingly, the A/P switch was "on" again after I first opened the plane after installation.   I switched it off.  Later reloaded, and the switch was now "off" - so that's OK, and just something to watch for.  Probably only happens at the first time the plane is opened.  I'll let you know should it re-occur.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. I may have overlooked something but I have tinkered with my control settings and all the time the plane seems excessively light and twitchy on pitch. After speaking with a C310 Pilot his remark was that it's nor too light or too heavy on pitch.. Thats the only quirk I have found other than reading about a slight dutch roll the plane should have as well.

2 hours ago, Vanadeo said:

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. I may have overlooked something but I have tinkered with my control settings and all the time the plane seems excessively light and twitchy on pitch. After speaking with a C310 Pilot his remark was that it's nor too light or too heavy on pitch.. Thats the only quirk I have found other than reading about a slight dutch roll the plane should have as well.

I just look into it and found a little error which makes the aircraft 20 to 25% more pitch sensitive than it should. It has been corrected for the next update. Thanks.

20 hours ago, diamonddriller said:

Don't think I've mentioned this, but the transponder's interrogation light does not come on nor blink.  Not for me, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. It has been fixed. It will be working correctly on the next update. 

• Like 1

I noticed a couple things with the ADF. 

1.  When you tune to an NDB, the needle swings to the direction of the NDB, but doesn't update it's position after the initial "needle swing".  So if you tune to an NDB on the ground, the needle will swing and point to it, but as you roll around and turn your aircraft, the needle stays fixed on that initial "pointed" heading instead of turning to follow the NDB direction.

2.  Also, when the ADF receiver is tuned to a good in-range NDB, it would be awesome if the gain needle would animate to indicate a signal.  

Thanks!

11 hours ago, falcon1823 said:

I noticed a couple things with the ADF. 

1.  When you tune to an NDB, the needle swings to the direction of the NDB, but doesn't update it's position after the initial "needle swing".  So if you tune to an NDB on the ground, the needle will swing and point to it, but as you roll around and turn your aircraft, the needle stays fixed on that initial "pointed" heading instead of turning to follow the NDB direction.

2.  Also, when the ADF receiver is tuned to a good in-range NDB, it would be awesome if the gain needle would animate to indicate a signal.  

Thanks!

1 & 2 - You are right. Today I fixed the needle behavior and I also implemented the gain needle which indicates when a signal is tuned. 

Thank you!

• Like 1