ENOL/Ørlandet

OlaHaldor

I can't help myself. I needed some fresh air. Started another scenery. Something to do in between the different projects, work, social life.. and the list goes on..

This is ENOL Ørlandet. It's one of the few air force stations in Norway.

I did the hangar early today, and deleted the old test I did of ENOL a few weeks ago, and started with blank sheets today. The taxiways took a while as you can imagine. I just started playing with light fixtures, edge lines and center lines.

And I'm amazed by how far off the guys at Laminar has managed to make the heading of the default scenery. Makes sense why landing with auto pilot never worked out properly and put me down on the taxiway.

Well, here goes.. My days work.. Photo first, comment below.

The hangar I modeled and textured today. Mostly as a test to a new technique. Needs some fixes on the scale. It's too narrow and too low at the moment.

A WIP from WEd earlier today.

Birds eye view of what I got so far. Notice how strange the ground textures look when Laminar makes the heading wrong....

A different angle.

post-236-131369598591_thumb.jpg

post-236-131369598618_thumb.jpg

post-236-131369598659_thumb.jpg

post-236-131369598691_thumb.jpg

And here's the model from two sides at once. This is not a render. This is the model I currently have in X-Plane with the pre-rendered textures! ;) I lack to tweak a few textures in the office part as you can see, but I'm getting there very soon.

I noticed now that my X-Plane model lack the new details I added. A few lamps above the big doors in front of the hangar. Will add them the next time I bake textures. Will also need to add windows to the office part.

post-236-131369599126_thumb.jpg

Thank you. Here's another one. I've made a mockup of a few barracks. They need some height adjustment, UVs and baked textures. I've also made two more buildings further away from the hangars, and two additional, curved structures. You can see them all in the screenshot. Next, I'll probably make the tower.

I'm really enjoying flying helicopters around the airport now. Can't wait for it to be populated with textured buildings!  ;)

post-236-131369599216_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No progress for over a week. But new from these photos.. I've modeled the tower, and it looks nice. It has a LOT of details, so I'll probably have to turn it down a few steps. The details are basically two ladders, a set of stairs and railings on two levels. Whew!

I've also come a long way understanding lights in X-Plane. So all the street lamps now have the glowing white orb of light positioned correctly. So when the night comes, all the street lamps switch on.

I'll do the same for antennas and other lamps on different hangars and buildings. Let me say this - landing at night is sexy!

Will post a new video when I have fixed more structures, adjusted center line and edge markings and lights.

Here's the tower, and three fresh screenshots of day, dusk and dawn.

As you can see, I lack to add a lot of edge lights, but they're slowly day by day. Notice all those bright lights. Those are the light posts scattered all over the scenery. I need to investigate the photo reference and possibly add more of them.

I still have around 40-50 individual structures to model and place all over the scenery. It will look busy and crowded when it's done! B)

post-236-131369600504_thumb.jpg

post-236-131369600549_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've invested a little and learned a few new tricks.

I made a new UV map for the tower thus baking it over again. It needs some tuning and I'll bake it in a better environment to get rid of the noise. But it's getting there.

And a little question for you guys. What do you see?