[Merged]Steering and differential braking

jimflys57

• 4 weeks later...

Dear IXEG Team!

I can not make tight turns during taxiing. If I steer above a certain amount of degrees the inner main wheel blocks. I've made a video showing this behavior from the front and from next to the inboard main wheel. Do I need to adjust a specific setting? I used some kind of "text editor" in the active sim to define my joystick dead zones. But even before I changed these settings I had the problem.

I am using the latest version of the IXEG 737 and I run xPlane 11 on my iMac. Therefore xPlane itself is not at the latest revision as the newest version seems to be for Windows users only. I tried to update it to get the latest German translations for the menus etc but in another forum I read that this update is not for Apple users.

B733_7.mov

Edited by Morten

Hi Stephan,

put out the values for gear steering and brakes to screen (using the Data Out tab). That way you can see what is going on.

I don´t know how you control the wheel (rudder pedals, twist stick, mouse?), so I can´t say anything but that this is not what I see on my end

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan!

Thank you for your "T/S order". It took me a while to figure out how to display the values but here you go. As soon as I twist on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick the brakes do also apply. The more I twist the more I brake. Any idea how to disable this? I know that in FSX there was an option to do differential braking on some aircrafts like this. But mixing tiller an brake inputs on the twist axis of a single joystick doesn't make sense for me.

Best regards, Stephan

Edit: I just googled xplane and differential braking. This is what I found:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/37662-differential-and-progressive-brakes-for-x-plane-11/

B733_1.mov

B733_2.mov

B733_3.mov

Edited by Stephan737
Update
  • Upvote 1

Ok, I have just tested myself: The same thing happens to me, if I only assign one axis to "yaw", but no other axis to "left brake" and "right brake".

Iirc Austin talked about this - as a mean to "help" people turn the aircraft if they can´t use brake pedals. Some smaller aircraft need to use the wheelbrakes to help turn the aircraft...

I am not sure when they implemented this, but I will file an (angry) bug report right now.

For you the only option right now is to live with it, or assign some other axis to "wheel brake left" and "wheel brake right". Ideally get some rudder pedals with brakes, they are pretty much essential for realistic flying, anyway.

I will let you know what they say,

Jan

• Upvote 1

Hi Jan!

I assigned unused buttons of my joystick to the left and right brakes. That doesn't solve the problem. Then I installed the FlyWithLua Plugin and the Differential Brake Plugin I linked above. Assigning the new "FlyWithLua left and right brakes" to unused buttons at my joystick solves the problem. Now I have these messages to the lower left side with B for Parking Brake, b for normal braking and two columns that increase slowly if I use differential braking (assigned but not needed).

Still thinking about a real control set consisting of pedals, yoke, etc. 

Thank you for reporting it to xPlane.

Stephan

• Upvote 1

Can I add my problem to this thread?  I use a small mini joystick on a CH pro throttle for rudder, always worked fine, for taxying too.

Now I find when I want to turn with the nose wheel at more than 45 degrees, I need a lot of thrust to do it.  I check the control output and can see when I have this assigned as "yaw", then it activates the left and right brake when on the ground, this seems to be a new thing?

If I quickly reassign the yaw as nose wheel tiller, then it turns perfectly with idle thrust.

What has changed?  My setup or they way controls work?   It's actually not much hassle to reassign the yaw to nose wheel after landing, but would also be nice not to have to do that.

Hi everyone,

I discussed the behaviour with Laminar Research, and they found this out:

I got to the bottom of this. There is a nosewheel spring constant
entered in Plane-Maker for the IXEG that is NOT in the LR 737.

More details:

1. X-Plane 10 allowed a spring constant on a nose wheel or tail wheel,
e.g. think bungee steering on a C172.

2. X-Plane 11 supports this ONLY for tail wheels - the code for bungees
is a little hacky and doesn't work with the newer wheel physics in v11.

Having proper nose wheel bungees is on Austin's future todo list, but
for now X-Plane only uses this for the tail wheel (true for ALL of v11)

• for 11.30 Austin has a wording change coming until we fix all of this.

3. X-Plane wheel steer with differential brakes automagically if the
plane has bungees OR castoring.

So: set the spring force to 0 (correct value for an airliner, right??)
and the brakes will stop braking.

In the future we (LR) may start ignoring this variable if there is no
tail wheel.

So please try to change this (if you are affected) in planemaker: Opem the 733.acf in planemaker, then open STANDARD/LANDING GEAR and click the GEAR DATA tab. In th top right corner you can see the "nosewheel spring force" - it is currently set to 30. Try to set it to 0 and let me know if this fixes the problem!

If this fixes the problem, we will change this for the next update!

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

Hello!

I've tried the recommendation and it works for me. Thank you!

I deleted my FlyWithLua folder after I edited the 733.acf file to make sure that it's really the aircraft/sim combination working fine and not the workaround with Lua. Nevertheless it  would be good to know if others could solve this problem who never had the FlyWithLua plugin installed.

Best regards and happy simming!

Stephan

5 hours ago, Stephan737 said:

Hello!

I've tried the recommendation and it works for me. Thank you!

I deleted my FlyWithLua folder after I edited the 733.acf file to make sure that it's really the aircraft/sim combination working fine and not the workaround with Lua. Nevertheless it  would be good to know if others could solve this problem who never had the FlyWithLua plugin installed.

Best regards and happy simming!

Stephan

Thanks for letting us know it worked for you!

Cheers, Jan

• 1 year later...

Just a short note to say that this problem came back, I guess due to an X-Plane update.

To solve it, the option in planemaker is no longer called "nosewheel spring force", it's now called "right and left brake power to help with steering (middle top)", set it to zero.

Not sure if Jan needs to update there download version to reflect this?

I don't know if I have broken anything by using planemaker 11.36, but I don't know another way.  

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2