Questions about the sounds

sidfadc

I have read some reviews about how the sounds on the Saab are impressive.  For me quality sound cannot be underestimated and personally adds a lot to the immersion factor.  Coming over from P3D I think most aircraft in XP are very substandard in that department so was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.  

After only a couple of short flights granted not a lot, I'm not that impressed.  Inside there is a nice rumble to the props when you fire them up but elsewhere I think its pretty lacking.  Particularly the outside view.  The sound outside the aircraft is the most disappointing.  I have the Majestic Q400 on P3D and doesn't really compare.

What are other people's thoughts?

With all due respect, you're comparing 2 completely different aircraft, that use 2 completely different engines, in 2 completely different sims. 

Rest assured, we've used authentic Saab sounds, interior and exterior, and implemented them in a custom sound engine, and all sounds have gotten the "ok" from 4 different Saab pilots.  

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what it is you find lacking?

Edited by Goran_M

Hi

I don't mean to offend that wasn't my intention, in fact I have had two flights now (albeit very sloppy) and boy is she hot to handle! 

The outside sound is just a little bit repetitive, the sound doesn't appear 3D like it sounds the same if I'm zoomed out compared to when my nose is on the props.  Its just the same drone like sound, inside its much better.

Thanks

I understand you're offering feedback, from a customers point of view, and as a paying customer, you're absolutely entitled to do so.  So no offence taken.
Just to clarify something you mentioned.  You said the sound doesn't sound 3D.  Keep in mind, this was initially made for X-Plane 9.  X-Plane 10 was about to come out, and we changed everything to make it for X-Plane 10 only.  X-Plane 10's default sound engine left a lot to be desired, with regards to quality sound (which is why Laminar have now implemented FMOD), so we used a custom sound engine back then (provided by Tom Kyler) to make the best sound experience we could...at the time. 

We just did what we could with what was presented to us.  

The Saab V2 will have FMOD and be completely overhauled for X-Plane 11.

Edited by Goran_M

It is way too early for any kind of ETA, but I can tell you the flight model will be overhauled to be X-Plane 11 only.  Many things were changed in X-Plane 11 that affected the flight model of the Saab.  But we updated it as best we could. 

The 3D mesh and textures will be done, literally, from square 1, with textures getting the PBR treatment.  The mesh is already about 90% complete.  

Completely rewritten code with some extra's added.

FMOD sounds implemented.

• Upvote 1