Not setting correct textures.

Schnuupi

Everywhere in the world in all weather conditions all I get is deep-winter textures being set when on Auto. I use RWC and SkyMaxx with FS Global Real Weather. For some reason TerraMaxx isn't getting the weather conditions and setting correct textures. Everywhere is pure white when using Auto.

4 hours ago, Schnuupi said:

I use RWC and SkyMaxx with FS Global Real Weather. For some reason TerraMaxx isn't getting the weather conditions and setting correct textures.

It will not use weather conditions to determine snow or no snow. It determines based on plausibility of temperature, location and time of year.

What is your definition of "everywhere in the world"?

What date was being simulated in X-Plane? In April, the cutoff latitude for winter is defined to be 50 degrees North.Perhaps X-Plane was set up for a different time of year where the cutoff is further South.

" considering there is no snow where I live it should not be deep winter. "

Again bear in mind the weather data available to X-Plane tells us nothing about whether there is snow on the ground. We make no claims that what we represent will automatically match what you see out the window at all times. All we can do is make a best guess based on your location and the time of year. The temperature will affect just how "frozen" things looks when we do think there may be snow on the ground. You can easily change the season manually using TerraMaxx's configuration screen if you want to.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bump this but what then is the cutoff time for the snow covered ground to change, I am in the UK, temps are currentlty 20c for me, the ave or usual would be between 13 & 16 and rarely going below 10 at night, so not much chance of any snow, I like Terramax and bought into it immediately but I think it changes from mild winter into summer to late, I know I can change to manual but  I feel this app would be best set to auto...is it not possible to set the snow textures to be gone from say the end of march please?

1 hour ago, wain said:

sorry to bump this but what then is the cutoff time for the snow covered ground to change, I am in the UK, temps are currentlty 20c for me, the ave or usual would be between 13 & 16 and rarely going below 10 at night, so not much chance of any snow, I like Terramax and bought into it immediately but I think it changes from mild winter into summer to late, I know I can change to manual but  I feel this app would be best set to auto...is it not possible to set the snow textures to be gone from say the end of march please?

If you examine the seasons.txt file inside TerraMaxx's plugin folder, it will answer any questions you have about how seasons are chosen for a given location and time.

If your simulated date in X-Plane is in April, you would have to be flying above 50 degrees North for TerraMaxx to consider it "Winter" in auto mode.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sundog said:

If you examine the seasons.txt file inside TerraMaxx's plugin folder, it will answer any questions you have about how seasons are chosen for a given location and time.

If your simulated date in X-Plane is in April, you would have to be flying above 50 degrees North for TerraMaxx to consider it "Winter" in auto mode.

right so if I understand correctly.....

April above 50 degrees lat it will be mid winter? which giving London is 51 I have snow textures until May? Edinburgh at 55 might still have but very doubtful, ok if it can't be changed I will use manual...

Thanks

The current system just uses latitude and the month to estimate the season, and can't account for micro-climates such as England's. Keep mind 51 degrees latitude is the same as Canada and some pretty cold parts of Russia too. In the US it's even north of Maine, where it's still quite wintry.

Yep, that's a general problem - seasons behave quite differently on the European and the North American continent (not just England) - due to the Gulf Stream and the different orientation of mountain chains, winter comes further down south in North America, and summer also reaches further up north.

Just a thought on a future refinement of TerraMaxx - if season limits could be defined using latitudes and longitudes (i. e. tiles or areas), it would be possible to better define plausible seasons for various regions of the world (also thinking of Japan, New Zealand and similar areas with specific climatic circumstances).