TerraMaax Trees

SWM1968

Just a quick question about the new TerraMaax.  I have noticed that where there are houses and buildings, in mild winter mode, many of the trees are still green.

Are they intended to look this way?

Thanks...

Typically when you have light snow with cold temps the snow will not stick to trees, unlike with a heavy downpour of it.

I did not make that decision, but I would assume that was John's logic. Having personally taken a ski trip this past season green trees were pretty abundant on the nice days. :)

• Upvote 1

Yes that was the intention, during development I would categorize these scenarios in real life to use them for future reference.  One key thing that looks odd are all the trees still maintain the foliage. I tried working bare trees and they did not look as plausible. The slightly green trees were a observation leaving KPHL on my way  down to San Juan during the winter., so I went with it ;).....  

• Upvote 1

Yes that was the intention, during development I would categorize these scenarios in real life to use them for future reference.  One key thing that looks odd are all the trees still maintain the foliage. I tried working bare trees and they did not look as plausible. The slightly green trees were a observation leaving KPHL on my way  down to San Juan during the winter., so I went with it ;).....  

I guarantee you will not find green trees in the winter season in Europe :D. It's all boring and greyish in real life, so perhaps it's not a bad idea to have bare trees after all?

4 minutes ago, stolowski said:

I guarantee you will not find green trees in the winter season in Europe :D. It's all boring and greyish in real life, so perhaps it's not a bad idea to have bare trees after all?

On the plausible scale bare trees looked horrible......trust me...

Deep winter presents very gray and drab trees, you can switch it manually and stare off into the gray depressing void!

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, Cameron said:

Typically when you have light snow with cold temps the snow will not stick to trees, unlike with a heavy downpour of it.

I did not make that decision, but I would assume that was John's logic. Having personally taken a ski trip this past season green trees were pretty abundant on the nice days. :)

Many thanks.

On 3/18/2018 at 3:23 PM, JohnMAXX said:

Many thanks, loving the product! 

• Upvote 1

we had snow sunday night, I am in UK, I made a point yesterday morning whilst out on the road of checking out the trees, whils some did have snow the majority didn't so works fine for me, really liking what I have seen so far, I am guessing there is a cut off date when the snow on the ground in the UK dissappears? I have added 2 pictures of EGGD showing some green and some white.....I like it, seasons were the one thing letting XP11 down, apart from atc but I now use Pilot 2ATC....oh have I said I like it!!!

terramaxx2 TREES.jpg

terramaxx12 TREES.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 20.3.2018 at 11:37 AM, wain said:

[...] made a point yesterday morning whilst out on the road of checking out the trees, whils some did have snow the majority didn't [...]

Actually in X-Plane this effect may come from your loading order of scenery and libraries in the scenery_packs.ini file. The SeasonsXP library will only replace vegetation coming from the standard library, so all airports using standard library trees will benefit from the replacements. Custom vegetation will not be altered, so they will be displayed in their original shape.

However, there are some caveats - for instance you cannot use another library replacing standard trees (or other standard objects) in parallel with TerraMaxx. A good example for this would be the HD Forests library by MisterX6 - if you put them above SeasonsXP in the load order, you'll always see green HD forests. If you put them below, you will see the TerraMaxx trees, but you then could actually remove the HD Forests library as those trees will never show up.

• Upvote 1

On ‎18‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 8:23 AM, JohnMAXX said:

I tried working bare trees and they did not look as plausible.

I suspected things like this for the leaves on the winter trees because X-Plane is not very good in rendering very thin details and causing flickering/shimmering in those cases. Further the objects will disappear earlier than one would like (the details are smaller than one pixel on the screen and thus they are not displayed) so farther trees are not displayed at all making the whole scenery look somewhat odd. 

John, maybe you can confirm this theory of mine? If the above is the case and you tried already I can use my time for something different than trying (and very likely failing) myself with my own trees. Some people already requested bare winter trees and I told I will look into it. 

On ‎18‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 8:56 AM, JohnMAXX said:

On the plausible scale bare trees looked horrible......trust me...

Regarding 'plausible scale' I don't have any problems with the trees as they are now (including my own ones) because the scenery in general looks very nice in winter - and I highly recommend UrbanMaxxV3 to use also, because it enhances mild winter visuals drastically (less plain white scenery, more detailed). 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, paradoxagi said:

I suspected things like this for the leaves on the winter trees because X-Plane is not very good in rendering very thin details and causing flickering/shimmering in those cases. Further the objects will disappear earlier than one would like (the details are smaller than one pixel on the screen and thus they are not displayed) so farther trees are not displayed at all making the whole scenery look somewhat odd. 

John, maybe you can confirm this theory of mine? If the above is the case and you tried already I can use my time for something different than trying (and very likely failing) myself with my own trees. Some people already requested bare winter trees and I told I will look into it. 

Regarding 'plausible scale' I don't have any problems with the trees as they are now (including my own ones) because the scenery in general looks very nice in winter - and I highly recommend UrbanMaxxV3 to use also, because it enhances mild winter visuals drastically (less plain white scenery, more detailed). 

I'm very open to anyone who wants to being their own interpretation of trees into TM.......

Thanks for the kind words in regards to UM!

11 hours ago, JohnMAXX said:

I'm very open to anyone who wants to being their own interpretation of trees into TM.

I know and this can be clearly seen in TerraMaxx's technical structure based on the x-plane library system. This approach is always open because you can always hijack the virtual paths with a new library placed on top of the original one. 

But, my question is, are bare trees looking bad in X-Plane because of technical reasons? I expect the rendering engine to mess up very fine bitmap structures and causing shimmering. 

7 minutes ago, paradoxagi said:

I know and this can be clearly seen in TerraMaxx's technical structure based on the x-plane library system. This approach is always open because you can always hijack the virtual paths with a new library placed on top of the original one. 

But, my question is, are bare trees looking bad in X-Plane because of technical reasons? I expect the rendering engine to mess up very fine bitmap structures and causing shimmering. 

Pixelated and just plain ugly, but with that said it could of just been my approach.....I don't recall any shimmering.....

As a member of the northern regions of Europe (Stockholm,Sweden). It's very rare to find snow on the threes under "normal" snow conditions. It's only during the coldest weeks of winter when there's now sunlight for days that the snow stays on the trees. But as soon as the sun comes out the threes gets warm and the snow melts. 

It's only in the most northern regions where there is -15 C all the time where the snows stays on the threes. =) 

Well... for my own trees, the concept is focused more on creating harmony and nice visuals than realism. A problem I found is that greyish looking trees might be more realistic and can look nice when seen from above but they ruin the visuals when seen from a viewpoint on ground completely. Because of this I currently trying to find a balance between both, to make visuals great on ground and when in the air. 

• Upvote 1