Jump to content
kneighbour

Cannot taxi - nosewheel steering inoperative

Recommended Posts

Just downloaded the much anticipated 1.5 - and find I cannot taxi. I discovered the new tiller hydraulic dataref and added that to a button on my X55 throttle. I have an axis setup to control the nosewheel tiller - which i seem to recall working just fine in XP 10. I cannot get it to work in XP11. I have found that rudder control is not much use for steering either, so totally unable to taxi.

The tiller control in the cockpit pushes in and out as I operate the tiller hydraulic button, so that works ok. When I hover over the tiller control in the cockpit (with the mouse), the rotation arrows come up, but I cannot rotate the control.

XP 11 on Windows.

Any tips?

Edited by kneighbour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just downloaded the much anticipated 1.5 - and find I cannot taxi. I discovered the new tiller hydraulic dataref and added that to a button on my X55 throttle. I have an axis setup to control the nosewheel tiller - which i seem to recall working just fine in XP 10. I cannot get it to work in XP11. I have found that rudder control is not much use for steering either, so totally unable to taxi.

The tiller control in the cockpit pushes in and out as I operate the tiller hydraulic button, so that works ok. When I hover over the tiller control in the cockpit (with the mouse), the rotation arrows come up, but I cannot rotate the control.

XP 11 on Windows.

Any tips?

Did you actually enable the tiller??? You have to push it down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WR269 said:

Did you actually enable the tiller??? You have to push it down.

Yes - as I said "The tiller control in the cockpit pushes in and out as I operate the tiller hydraulic button, so that works ok. When I hover over the tiller control in the cockpit (with the mouse), the rotation arrows come up, but I cannot rotate the control"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kneighbour said:

left hand side underneath the hand brake

If it is what I think it is, the thing does not turn. Clicking it does nothing either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll look into the tiller issue.  I can see what the issue is with the manipulator, and it should be an easy fix.  In the meantime, steering works fine with hardware, as long as the tiller is unlocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kneighbour Could you explain the binding? Looking for the command but couldn't find it.

I have still a key assigned to toggle NSW.

Steering with the rudder pedals works for me only when pushing the tiller and toggle NSW.

After flying the DD CH300 no other a/c wanted to steer the nose wheel anymore - therefore the assignment to a key. 

 

Edit:

Just found the topic for the command.......

Edited by stratone
Just found the topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 2:55 PM, Goran_M said:

I'll look into the tiller issue.  I can see what the issue is with the manipulator, and it should be an easy fix.  In the meantime, steering works fine with hardware, as long as the tiller is unlocked.

Does not seem to work with my hardware (X-55 throttle quadrant). The nosewheel steering bar works ok in the XP joystick configuration screen, so the hardware is ok. And it works with other aircraft.

If you look at the SAAB from outside when you are trying to move the nosewheel, it seems to twitch, then stays poiting straight ahead. Perhaps like there are 2 controls trying to control the nosewheel?

I have been loading this aircraft first on loading XP. It should not be a conflict with a previously loaded aircraft.

Edited by kneighbour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not something I can replicate.  The only thing I can guess that is happening is you're trying to turn the nose wheel with the power off.  You'll need the hydraulics pressurised, even with hardware, to turn the nose wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Not something I can replicate.  The only thing I can guess that is happening is you're trying to turn the nose wheel with the power off.  You'll need the hydraulics pressurised, even with hardware, to turn the nose wheel.

Nope - engines running, everything looking good. Hydraulic pressure looks ok. Trying to taxi out for takeoff. Taxxied over grass (no choice as could not steer) and the like to see if the rudders would work - nope. Gave up and shutdown for maintenance.

Edited by kneighbour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even rudder works?  Definitely sounds like a calibration issue then.  Rudder is independent from the steering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

Not even rudder works?  Definitely sounds like a calibration issue then.  Rudder is independent from the steering.

no - what I meant was the rudder did not help with the steering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to confirm:

Engines running

Hydraulics pressurized.

Steering tiller pushed in.

And while you're taxiing, you have no steering?

(Make sure you're actually moving.  The steering won't work on the Saab if it's stationary)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nosewheel steering inoperative here as well : hydraulics OK, tiller control assigned to an axis, tiller hydraulic command button assigned to a switch... I can only taxi by using the differential brakes on my physical pedals (Thrustmaster).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hreygro said:

Nosewheel steering inoperative here as well : hydraulics OK, tiller control assigned to an axis, tiller hydraulic command button assigned to a switch... I can only taxi by using the differential brakes on my physical pedals (Thrustmaster).

 

Steering via the tiller is fixed and will be available soon.  In the meantime, steer using your hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Goran_M said:

So to confirm:

Engines running

Hydraulics pressurized.

Steering tiller pushed in.

And while you're taxiing, you have no steering?

(Make sure you're actually moving.  The steering won't work on the Saab if it's stationary)

Confirm. To be honest, most of my tests were with the plane stationary - but then also moving. Only way I can steer is via brakes, and that is very ineffective. That is why I was taxxing across the grass as could not stay on the taxiway. Also tried differential engine thrust - also not very effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly confused why this is happening.  I've spoken to others and they don't have this problem with steering via hardware.  I was in a stream, just last night, with someone who did a complete start up, taxi, flight and landing, and taxi off the runway, and he literally had no problems steering.  The only thing I can think of is some kind of hardware calibration issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been OK with taxi after startup but have been encountering no nosewheel steering upon landing. It seems like the steering tiller isn't pushed in after dropping the landing gear. Then when trying to engage it, it won't push down. I normally have to come to a complete stop, and then put the throttles to GND IDLE. Once I do that, the tiller seems to engage. I'm not sure if that is normal but it's definitely different than how I remember it working. 

I'll try to pay some extra attention to things on my next flight to see if I can figure out if it's something I'm doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were some changes added to X-Plane with regard to steering, which had not been adjusted for.  This has been fixed for the next update and should resolve the steering issues.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we will be able to bind a button on our hardware to activate the NWS. Right now, upon landing I have to take my eyes off of the runway and look for the NWS. The trick is to grab it and drag the mouse down to activate it. But this really takes your attention away from the runway. And after landing in a crosswind it would make things so much easier to just push a button on my controllers to allow my attention to remain on what's going on outside the window and not inside the cockpit at 100 knots lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 8:17 AM, Chase911 said:

Hopefully we will be able to bind a button on our hardware to activate the NWS. Right now, upon landing I have to take my eyes off of the runway and look for the NWS. The trick is to grab it and drag the mouse down to activate it. But this really takes your attention away from the runway. And after landing in a crosswind it would make things so much easier to just push a button on my controllers to allow my attention to remain on what's going on outside the window and not inside the cockpit at 100 knots lol. 

There is a NWS binding, just not the X-Plane default one. Works flawlessly for me.

LES/saab/NW_steer_ON_OFF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 1:19 AM, nomdeplume said:

There is a NWS binding, just not the X-Plane default one. Works flawlessly for me.

LES/saab/NW_steer_ON_OFF

Thanks. How do I find that? In settings I searched the words Les, Saab and Steer with no results that fit this. 

Edited by Chase911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chase911 said:

Thanks. How do I find that? In settings I searched the words Les, Saab and Steer with no results that fit this. 

Not at my computer right now so I can't check the exact text, but...

(Note that I only use XPlane 11 so if you're on 10 the interface probably works differently and this won't help much.)

First, load up the 340 into the sim; the controls will be present in the command list without the aircraft loaded but they won't have any descriptive text which makes it difficult to find the right one.

Then go to the controls configuration, and hit the button to assign a custom command for the button you want to use to toggle the tiller. Then what I normally do is type anything in the search box, then delete it (backspace over it) - once that's done the entire command list will be accessible but collapsed. You should then be able to find the LES node easily in the list and expand it. If you still can't see it then maybe the aircraft isn't being loaded properly? But I would be surprised if you could fly it at all if it can't even load the custom commands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 11:33 PM, nomdeplume said:

Not at my computer right now so I can't check the exact text, but...

(Note that I only use XPlane 11 so if you're on 10 the interface probably works differently and this won't help much.)

First, load up the 340 into the sim; the controls will be present in the command list without the aircraft loaded but they won't have any descriptive text which makes it difficult to find the right one.

Then go to the controls configuration, and hit the button to assign a custom command for the button you want to use to toggle the tiller. Then what I normally do is type anything in the search box, then delete it (backspace over it) - once that's done the entire command list will be accessible but collapsed. You should then be able to find the LES node easily in the list and expand it. If you still can't see it then maybe the aircraft isn't being loaded properly? But I would be surprised if you could fly it at all if it can't even load the custom commands.

Thanks. So I've found the "LES/CMD" area in settings. But none of the choices has either NWS or Steer or the like. When you get a moment can you ascertain the exact path for this command. Will be of much help. Thanks. 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×