Announcing TerraMaxx - Seasons for X-Plane!

Cameron

2 hours ago, paradoxagi said:

I have my first scenery working now:

EDXE with TerraMaxx Seasons - FlyAgi.de

If you want to download, just follow the blue highlighted links, on the downloads page you will find the download at the bottom, after the (german) installation guide. For TerraMaxx Seasons to use there is absolutely nothing required to do other than just copy the folders you find in the zip into Custom Scenery. 

Would this be easy to do for someone without scenery developing experience? What is involved?

2 minutes ago, 777-300 said:

I am in love with TerraMaxx. What a difference it makes. I did experience a crash on a short flight from KSEAKPDX.  The log says that the cause was TerraMaxx. Any ideas what may have caused this. I know you guys are still in the process of working the kinks out.

Log.txt

How much VRAM do you have? If you are running normals you may have tipped your rig over the top.  1. adjust your textures to high or medium in the X-Plane rendering settings or 2. Install TM with the less than 5gb VRAM option.  But if it persists we may need Frank to look at this one......Hes off the cuff for a few days. Keep any of these logs handy for the near future.....

5 minutes ago, JohnMAXX said:

How much VRAM do you have? If you are running normals you may have tipped your rig over the top.  1. adjust your textures to high or medium in the X-Plane rendering settings or 2. Install TM with the less than 5gb VRAM option.  But if it persists we may need Frank to look at this one......Hes off the cuff for a few days. Keep any of these logs handy for the near future.....

I will go back and reinstall with the less then 5GB option and check and see what I have set textures at. Thank you for the help.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Sierra 10.12.6
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Edited by 777-300
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JohnMAXX said:

There might be a load on the server I'll check it out in a few....

I assume you are using a non-beta XP11? Prior to 10.20vr5 this issue exsisted on LR's end and was fixed. So if you don't get involved in betas it will be fixed when 11.20 goes final 

all downloaded now, thanks.....

Haven't tried BETA as I worry other things won't work, I am busy with some Alpha and BETA work for a dev over on p3d so don't want XP11 to be unstable in a BETA....

12 hours ago, JohnMAXX said:

We're you able to sort .pol files out? 

Yes. I don't know if there is a simpler method, but I referenced the ortho pol files using the library and virtual paths.I replaced the real path the orho tiles are using with a virtual one and then delete the originial files so they are only in the seasons folder. It's great to see that X-Plane does not make a difference between a real path and a virtual export path - without that my approach would have failed. 

10 hours ago, jsperl said:

Would this be easy to do for someone without scenery developing experience? What is involved?

If you don't have any experience at all, this will not be easy to do. But scenery creation in X-Plane is very easy to get into, just grab WED and start doing it. With some basic technical knowledge and after your first working self made scenery you should get the seasons ready easily. 

You will at least have to know how library.txt files and virtual paths are working, you will need some skills reverse engeneering John's (or my own) library files to get the idea behind the concept, and, of course, you need some image editing skills for changing the ortho's seasonal colors. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

Could somebody post an example of a scenery config file showing the correct position of Urban Maxx and Terra Maxx? Thanks in advance.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Scenery config file order does not matter with either add-on.

I finally have made some corrections (thanks to John) and a tutorial for making many airports look better in winter. The tutorial is in german and english - I hope my english is good enough for this. 

Tutorial - TerraMaxx support for all default airports (english version) - FlyAgi.de

For the german version scroll up to the first post in the thread. 

On 3/20/2018 at 4:04 AM, paradoxagi said:

If you don't have any experience at all, this will not be easy to do. But scenery creation in X-Plane is very easy to get into, just grab WED and start doing it. With some basic technical knowledge and after your first working self made scenery you should get the seasons ready easily. 

You will at least have to know how library.txt files and virtual paths are working, you will need some skills reverse engeneering John's (or my own) library files to get the idea behind the concept, and, of course, you need some image editing skills for changing the ortho's seasonal colors. 

Thanks! Image editing skills no problem but for the rest will have to think about whether it's worth it!

5 minutes ago, paradoxagi said:

It IS worth it. 

I'm still getting into the seasons stuff but so far my results are awesome - regarding the fact that I did never create winter orthos before. Look at my sceenshots, scroll down to the bottom, there you can see the latest results (the upper ones were to clean in winter for my taste). 

EDXE Seasons Screenshots - FlyAgi.de

Very impressive!

The pol files tweak can be implemented. 

However, the default airport stuff is different because the runways and taxiways are not parts of the X-Plane library and so they can't be overridden using the library concept (this is what TerraMaxx uses for the seasonal changes). I think for a proper implemetation of the airports there have to be changes made to X-plane itself so it allows the airport related assets to be accessed by the library system. 

AddOn Scenery is a completely different story - there is no way making them seasons ready completely automated. 

Edited by paradoxagi
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, paradoxagi said:

The pol files tweak can be implemented. 

However, the default airport stuff is different because the runways and taxiways are not parts of the X-Plane library and so they can't be overridden using the library concept (this is what TerraMaxx uses for the seasonal changes). I think for a proper implemetation of the airports there have to be changes made to X-plane itself so it allows the airport related assets to be accessed by the library system. 

AddOn Scenery is a completely different story - there is no way making them seasons ready completely automated. 

Side note, you speak my language! 

You are 100%, I wanted to enhance the runways and taxiways......Its just not possible using our approach....

But we're breaking new ground I don't expect those issues to persist......its just a matter of when will change be implemented;)

• Upvote 1

I think the bigger problem in the 1.0 release are the (easily fixable) terrain polygon files. Airports which make use of them really look bad in winter. The green taxiways and runways are left then but they don't break the visuals as much as the terrain polygon files do and can be overridden by seasonal polygon add ons like the one I made by the user himself - this is some work to do but this is fast and simple, there is no deeper knowledge in scenery design or WED needed. 

Regarding Aerosoft: Their Approaching Dortmund for X-Plane will very likely also get TerraMaxx support for all seasons. 

But actually I came here to show my second seaons implementation for the upcoming EDDK Köln Bonn Airport V3 by Ced Gauche. Here is the link to the screenshots, I just finished it some minutes ago:

EDDK V3 preview with TerraMaxx seasons - FlyAgi.de